The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for workouts during the offseason to stay in shape? Not only physically, but mentally as well?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I think that this website, and others like it, are great ways to stay mentally "in the game" during the off season. Whenever I come across a good point or helpful idea, I jot it down or make a copy of it. Then, before next season, I review these notes and go through the rule and case books. Add one clinic and a scrimmage to get rust off of the mechanics, and I'm ready to go. Physically, it is just a matter of staying active, whether it be officiating other sports or exercising.
"Football is a great deal like life in that it teaches that work, sacrifice, perseverance, competitive drive, selflessness and respect for authority. That is the price that each and every one of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile." - Vince Lombardi
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

More officiating

I would love to officiate another sport. Although if I did, I would be divorced.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

lol. just do it! Just do little league instead of like HighSchool, this way you don't have to get as involved.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2003, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

I work only football, so when the season ends I usually take about 3-4 weeks and don't do any rules/mechanics study during that period. Also during this time I cut back on my regular workout routine and give the joints and muscles a little R&R.

After that 3-4 week period, I'll set up a rules/mechanics study schedule that runs up until next year's season. This will usually amount to 2-3 hours per week at most and I try to schedule it at specific times. My off season workouts are usually at one of the local YMCAs and I try to stick to a minimum 3 day per week - 1 hour per day schedule. The workout consists of at least 20 minutes of aerobic conditioning (treadmill, stair machine, or bike), at least 10-15 minutes of stretching, and the remainder is strength training. I target the problem areas with the strength training, (for me it's the knees).

One important training item for me is to go back through my officiating journal that has all my notes on game situations, etc. from the past season. I identify the things I had problems with and I usually will target a specific item to work on each week during the off season. That approach really seems to work for me.

Good luck!
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Workout

Excellent advice, I am actually trying to set up my offseason regiment now. That post was very helpful. Thanks.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2003, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Weights, Cardio and Rules

Here is what I do:

Mon-Sat: Cardio (30 min), Abs, Lower Back
Mon/Thurs: Chest and Shoulders
Tuesday/Friday: Legs
Wed/Sat: Arms and Back

Rules:

I take November and December off. I watch game tape, bowl games and ESPN classic for mechanics stuff.

Starting in January, I begin working through the CCA Test again (I call in Texas under NCAA rules). I read the rule book each morning on the cardio machine. I ready Rule 2-definitions, then another rule, then back to Rule 2. So the pattern would look like 2,1,2,3,2,4,etc.

As I get closer to season, I have some mechanics material and other books I will re-read.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Ah, to have every day available for exercise!

I have to sneak out after the kids are in bed around 8:15 and head to the Y until 9:30 - 9:45. Same routine as kentref. Between violin lessons, scouts, school functions, and homework help, my time is a hot commodity - and I'm the last one in line to access it.

When does FB start again??!!
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

I go before work, normally there between 5 and 6. I don't have any time available in the afternoons.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Mon Dec 22, 2003, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Look around....

I was surprised to find that here in Utah, we have several "offseason" leagues, but it's the season for them. After high school football is done in November, there's an indoor football league (different rules, but essentially the same), that runs from December through January, then in the spring there's an adult football league that runs from April through June, then after the regular season of that, they play different teams from other states throughout the summer. You may find that the area that you live in has similar programs. If not, then I suggest just reading your rule books, visiting this forum, and running....not necessarily in that order.....

[Edited by Simbio on Dec 22nd, 2003 at 06:15 PM]
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Off-season stuff...

Like some of you other gentlemen we get to do the adult league which has a season that runs from May through July. In August the high school season starts again. My last games were November 28th (high school state play-off game) and December 5th (Pop Warner invitational games) so our football season is about 7 months from start to finish.

For rules, I'm taking a break until the middle of January then I'll start devoting at least 2 hours per week to study. This next year 3 of us are going to start meeting once a month to have a study session over lunch. Its good to study alone but group study is a great way to share knowledge and debate rules.

As for fitness: I believe in cardio training at least 3 or 4 times per week. Step aerobics is the best because it gets your heart-rate up into your training zone (75% to 85% of your maximum for between 30 to 45 minutes) and the various movements tone your entire body. Strength training is limited to tone and stretch classes once or twice a week that emphasis the core muscle groups of the trunk area, legs, chest, back, arms. We do lots of sit-ups, lunges, squats, and various other movements with light weights, bands, etc. I find that using light weights with lots of reps is great: the recovery time is faster and the muscles become conditioned to resist fatique over a longer period of time.

Plus lots of good books about football are good. NFL films gets me fired-up also. I need to go and buy their soundtrack.

Hey AB: you should get your kids CDs of Beethoven's late violin quartets. Listening to those will really get you fired up!

Old Wed Dec 24, 2003, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Variety and cross-training is the key.

I'm off to a invitation only Christmas Eve workout at the YMCA (well, they only have room for 12 participants and 1 instructor so I guess its whoever they can Shanghai into the gym the day before Christmas! LOL)...

From what I've learned from reading and talking to my instructors and other Y members the most important rule to off-season training is...

Variety...

Keep your workouts changing and engage in a number of activities. Cross-training will help prevent injuries, keep your exercise programs interesting and challenging, and stimulate your mental processes...

So good luck to you guys, Merry Christmas, and look forward to interesting posts here during the off-season.