The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

my question is this: during the minnesota vikings vs denver broncos game during week seven randay moss caught a pass before lateralling it to mo williams who went in for the touchdown. what I would like to know is why would mo williams get the touch down credit and not randy moss. and why would randy moss not be credited for a passing touch down or passing stats. nfl.com did not score randy moss for any such stats. I already know the answer and reason, but I am in an arguement over this and need some clarification for this from someone else. I also need to know the rules purtaining laterals and passes made by other position players other than the quaterback. any responses to this can be emailed at [email protected]

thanks
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 09:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Why would Moss get credit for a touchdown when he didn't cross the goal line?

Rich
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

the arguement is whether or not moss should get credit for the touchdown as a passer. I feel I am correct by saying that he does not get the touchdown as a passer because he only lateralled it and not passed from the line of scrimmage. I just need someone to briefly explane it.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Randy Moss Lateralled the ball. A lateral is a backward pass
Stats are kept on forward passes. To my knowlecge I have never seen a stat on backward passes
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

yeah, me either. I would believe that a lateral is not a pass. that being the case, moss only gets the receiving yards will williams gets the remaining receiving yards and the touchdown. I read somewhere that this play would an assisted receiving touchdown. so, randy gets only the receiving yards and no credit as a passer.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

There are TWO types of passes, FORWARD and BACKWARD. The term "LATERAL PASS" is the term used by the Boobs in the Booth to describe a backward pass, and sometimes an underhand pass. I have heard some of these dum-dums say, "Forward lateral".

Bob

Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

A forward pass is defined as a pass that is thrown toward the line of scrimmage. A lateral is defined as any pass that is not a forward pass. That means that a lateral is either a pass that is thrown away from the line of scrimmage (backward), or thrown parrallel to the line of scrimmage (sideways). A lateral is is the NFL's official term for this type of pass, and is signalled with an extended arm towards the offense's goalline.

The originator of this thread is probably upset that the official result and scoring of a lateral cost him some fantasy football points. But Moss couldn't have scored on the play anyway - he was in the process of being tackled as the time ran out in the first half. What he did was help his team score on a well-executed hook-and-ladder play. One of the best I've seen since the Dolphins Tony Nathan to Durriel Harris which closed out the first half in the 1981 AFC Playoff Game vs. San Diego.

Obviously Moss can't get credit for the TD since he was not the one who had possession of the ball over the goalline. QB's don't get credit for a TD when they hand the ball off to a RB, so neither should the player who laterals the ball to a teammate who scores.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

great for the information. I was right and my call of not awarding moss with the td stands. thanks.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 09:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Those who insist on saying backward pass are technically correct but also being a bit too anal. A lateral is a commonly used term and we all knew what the original poster meant, right?

I think the referee used the term "backward pass" on the mic, though, which was kinda cool.

Rich
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Give Moss the receiving yards to the point of where he threw the backwards pass, and then give Williams the rushing yards from the point in which he gained possesion of the backwards pass and he also gets the touchdown.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
A forward pass is defined as a pass that is thrown toward the line of scrimmage. A lateral is defined as any pass that is not a forward pass.

his team score on a well-executed hook-and-ladder play.

Your definitions are way off. If the LOS is A10, and I'm at A15 and throw a pass to a receiver at the A5, is that a forward pass? It was towards the line of scrimmage... You will not find the term lateral defined in any football rulebook, either.

Incidentaly, it's hook and "lateral". The receiver runs a hook, and then "laterals" the ball to a teammate.
Old Wed Oct 29, 2003, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected. I just checked it and I was wrong. Sorry - I don't know what I was thinking. There is no official term lateral, only backwards pass, speaking NFL. Thank you, AB.

A forward pass would be defined as a pass thrown from behind the LOS that is thrown toward the LOS, and so on.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Actually, a forward pass is any pass that's thrown forward, regardless of where the LOS is.

a LEGAL forward pass is what you describe... but a pass thrown from in front of the LOS that's forward is still a forward pass --- it's penalized as an ILLEGAL forward pass.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 05, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

AlabamaBlue quote:
Incidentaly, it's hook and "lateral". The receiver runs a hook, and then "laterals" the ball to a teammate.
------------------------------------------------
From NFL Films Steve Sabol:
Randy Moss' over-the-shoulder toss in Week 7 was a variation on the old "hook and ladder" play that, according to legend, was devised by Dr. "Jock" Sutherland, "the Dour Scotsman." He was the head coach at the University of Pittsburgh during the 1930's. The name "hook and ladder" originated in Pennsylvania coal country. Miners trapped in a cave would call to the rescuers above to send down both a hook and a ladder to help them out of a jam.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbcrowder
Actually, a forward pass is any pass that's thrown forward, regardless of where the LOS is.
REPLY: ...and regardless of whether a line of scrimmage even exists (e.g. on a return of a kickoff).

The actual definitions are:
NFHS specifically defines a forward pass: "A forward pass is a pass thrown with its initial direction toward the opponent's end line." [NF 2-29-2]
NCAA defines the generic term "forward" and then provides guidance in 2-19 for determining whether or not a pass is forward: "Forward, beyond or in advance of, as related to either team, denotes direction toward the opponentÂ’s end line. Converse terms are backward or behind." [NCAA 2-8-1]

Bob M.