The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 28, 2022, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

When is it appropriate to offer help to coach?

Had one the other night while working 3 official mechanics with R/H/U for a JV game. I'm the H on the visitor side.

V has ball 4/7 from midfield. A4 throws a forward pass (clearly forward) to the the flat on my side of the field. A24 catches the pass, takes a couple more steps towards the sideline, then stops and throws the ball downfield...incomplete. I dropped the flag for the illegal forward pass about 3 yards behind the LOS.

After I signal the incomplete pass, R looks my direction to confirm my IFP call. He turns around to the press box and I hear the HC declining the penalty from across the field. Not thinking anything of it, we leave the down box where it was, flip it to 1, reset the chains, swap out the balls and continue on.

Later that night, I'm thinking about this play and I realize, if we had a good wing on the home side, he's telling HC that he can take the penalty and get the ball. Given our situation, if I'd been thinking, would it have been good game management on my part to run in and tell R that we should encourage HC to take the penalty?