The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Well I was chit chatting with the head umpire in our league today. He mentioned that he was short on umpires this year and then me and him were just discussing some rules and some good games around th park (I really love hanging out at the ball parks and watching games...even when I'm not coaching). So then he asked me if I'd be interested in helping him out...he said he sounded like I knew my stuff pretty well and I'm always out there anyways. I told him I'd do it for him. I start next week, and he obviously wasn't lying when he said he was a little short cause I've I got 3 double headers and a total of 8 games next week. I will be doing it all on an 11-12 year old field. I'm a little nervous cause I don't want to mess anything up, but honestly on't think I could mess it up worse then the guys he's got out there.

So I guess I'm stepping in to look at it from an umpire's view and expect to develope a whole new respect for the position. Any rookie advice? Cautions?

Thank you all for your previous help and you can probably expect some new questions from me after next week.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Congratulations - Go for it!!

As many Senior members will probably have better advice, here is mine (and not in any specific order either):

1) Have fun and enjoy it
2) Look professional
3) Hustle, hustle, hustle,
4) Get in good position to see the play
5) Be patient - Don't rush the calls
6) Let'em think you've been doing this for years!
7) Remember - it's about and for the kids
8) If you read the rule book you DO know more than the coaches!!

Let us know how it went.

Good luck.
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Thumbs up Way to go Clint!

Clint:

Way to go! While being a coach may not make you a better umpire, being an umpire WILL make you a better coach.

Let us know how it turns out. And GOOD LUCK!!
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

< Any rookie advice >
Man I have got tons! I made the transition this year, and have really had my eyes opened. Being as I'm still a rookie, I may or may not help much, but I offer this; Don't expect perfection in your first, or last game, just do your best. Don't compare yourself to any other umpire, only to your last game. I listen to ALL advice from other umpires, and use what should apply. You will be nervous, and YOU WILL MESS THINGS UP. The fact is, 98% of what you mess up probably won't be caught by anyone other than you and your partner. If a situation warrants, call time, and confer with your partner, coaches will respect you for that even if call goes against them. Try as hard as you can to ignore fans, they can make you question your calls. Call all games you can, cause each one teaches you something new. If you do blow a call, it can be fixed, but don't try and "even out" the next play. I will say this, in all my years as a player, coach, spectator/parent, I never made a bad call. It is so much easier to see an outside corner from the bleachers 100' up the baseline! I suppose all should call games before being certified as a spectator! You will question your calls, your position, your strke zone, your demeanor, and even your shoe shine, but never stop, thats what keeps you learning. I felt my first few games that I was in a daze, and very, very in-competant as an umpire. In my 3rd game things finally "clicked" and I really felt like an umpire, although a rookie, I felt as if I could do an adequate job. If you love "hanging out at the ballpark", and love coaching, and love the kids, I know you will become an excellent umpire, I would call with you anytime!
Old Fri May 23, 2003, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

One big basic for a rookie::::::TIMING. Do not be in a hurry to make calls, you got all the time in the world!!!
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
One big basic for a rookie::::::TIMING. Do not be in a hurry to make calls, you got all the time in the world!!!

as the famous Bill Klem said "it aint nothin till i call it"
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Way to go Clint!

Quote:
Originally posted by RPatrino
Clint:

Way to go! While being a coach may not make you a better umpire, being an umpire WILL make you a better coach.

Let us know how it turns out. And GOOD LUCK!!
GOOD ONE!!

And OHH soo true!

We converted yet another 1 guys!
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Welcome, CDcoach!

This board is great for learning. And, the discussions can get very interesting, as many of us have different views and interpretations. This will help you, though, as you do the homework and research more into the rules, situations, and game management.

Above all, relax and have fun. It's hard for a coach to stay mad at an umpire that's out on the bases with a silly grin on his face!

Jel, good stuff, man! That is truly the way it is.
Old Sat May 24, 2003, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks guys. Had to coach a game last night and the Head ump out there wanted me to ump an 8:30 game for him...I had already made plans, so I couldn't do it. I'll still be getting started next week and my first game will be as BU with a real funny guy behind the plate so it should help me to stay relaxed. Thanks a million and I'll give updates after my first night.