The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 22, 2021, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Muff Play

4th and 10 on K’s 30 yard line. K-1’s punt is muffed by R-2 at Team K’s 40 yard line and is picked up behind the neutral zone by K-3 at the 25 yard line. As R player rush him , K-3 quickly passes the ball forward to eligible K-4, but the pass is incomplete. What is the results of this play?
Old Sun Aug 22, 2021, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Muffed

I gave K the ball at K’s 30 yard line?
Old Sun Aug 22, 2021, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surehands View Post
I gave K the ball at K’s 30 yard line?
Works according to Fed by 5-1-3(f). New series awarded too.

Same in NCAA via 5-1-1(e)2 and 5-1-4(b).

In NFL, I think the forward pass would be illegal, but possession would still be to team A. In Canadian football (assuming 3rd down), same as NFL, I think; not an offside pass because the player intended a legal forward pass.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2021, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

This is not the same in NCAA. Once the kick has crossed the neutral zone, it is dead upon recovery by the kicking team. Where that recovery happens to occur is irrelevant. Because the ball was touched beyond the neutral zone by B, it will be 1st and 10 for Team A at the spot of the recovery, the A-25. By rule there is no forward pass here because the ball was already dead.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2021, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am pretty sure the rule for NCAA is exactly the same as it is for NF as it relates to K advancing the ball if the ball stays or comes back behind the LOS. I am pretty sure I have seen this happen and K advancing for a first down.

I will get home and look this up to verify the location of this rule.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 23, 2021, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Zebra View Post
This is not the same in NCAA. Once the kick has crossed the neutral zone, it is dead upon recovery by the kicking team. Where that recovery happens to occur is irrelevant. Because the ball was touched beyond the neutral zone by B, it will be 1st and 10 for Team A at the spot of the recovery, the A-25. By rule there is no forward pass here because the ball was already dead.
You're right, it's 4-1-3(e). Might be true in NFL too.

There was a long time in Fed when K's recovery made the ball dead anywhere on the field, regardless of any touching by R.
Old Mon Aug 23, 2021, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

6-3-6-a. The ball is dead when a scrimmage kick that has crossed the neutral zone is caught or recovered by A.

NFL is like NFHS. If the ball comes back behind the line, A can still advance the ball. If the ball was touched by B, they get a new series. If the ball was not touched by B, it is the same series and they must reach the line to gain to maintain possession.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Legacy and Robert are right: under no circumstances can Team A advance a recovered KICK, unless it hasn't crossed the neutral zone. A new series of downs would attach, thus, Team A, first and 10 at the spot of recovery. (NCAA).

However, change the play just a little: what happens (Fed or NCAA) IF the ball goes out of Team A's end zone?
Old Sat Sep 04, 2021, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Legacy and Robert are right: under no circumstances can Team A advance a recovered KICK, unless it hasn't crossed the neutral zone. A new series of downs would attach, thus, Team A, first and 10 at the spot of recovery. (NCAA).

However, change the play just a little: what happens (Fed or NCAA) IF the ball goes out of Team A's end zone?
Out as in out of bounds?

If the muff by the receiving team player is of the kick in flight, then in both Fed and NCAA, responsibility for the ball's being in the end zone is on the kick, i.e. team A, so you'd get a safety.

If the kick touches the ground before being muffed, then there's a difference between Fed and NCAA, because in Fed that muff would usually have altered responsibility by the muffer's applying new force. I could, however, see cases in which the ball would've been bouncing towards A's goal line from the field of play, and the muff by R being ruled not to apply new force.

In NCAA the kick would have to come to rest before the receiving player could be ruled to apply new force to it.

So whether it's a safety or touchback could depend on factors not specified in the question.