The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 28, 2021, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

High School Overtime Rule

When did the overtime rule in High School football change(if using the 10 yard line procedure) to the ball becoming dead on a turnover. I ask because in reading an old newspaper story I saw in 1977 in Minnesota a team won by 12 points in overtime offer scoring on their first possession and then scoring a defensive touchdown.(And IIRC I saw a game end with a 14 point margin in 1985).
Old Sat Aug 28, 2021, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
When did the overtime rule in High School football change(if using the 10 yard line procedure) to the ball becoming dead on a turnover. I ask because in reading an old newspaper story I saw in 1977 in Minnesota a team won by 12 points in overtime offer scoring on their first possession and then scoring a defensive touchdown.(And IIRC I saw a game end with a 14 point margin in 1985).
Not sure exactly when, but a long time ago, the decision was made to include the details of the procedures to follow to resolve "Games Tied during Regulation" was added to the "Table of State Association Adoptions" giving the various State Associations authority to decide how such contests would be decided under their jurisdiction.

The 2021 Table of State Association Adoptions (NFHS Table 1-7) contains 16 State specific adjustments, of which #s 9 and 10 relate specifically to Overtime Game resolution.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2021, 02:29pm
Chain of Fools

I believe the NFHS implemented OT procedure in 1976. I do not know the particular details of what the rules actually stated but I'm certain that it hasn't changed much since I was in HS from 78-81.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2021, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I believe the NFHS implemented OT procedure in 1976. I do not know the particular details of what the rules actually stated but I'm certain that it hasn't changed much since I was in HS from 78-81.
Minnesota had from 1973 on in the regular season and for the playoffs in 1972(which was the first year for playoffs in MN)