Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMy2Cents
TXMike,

Yes, I would expect a player to "let up" when he sees a player OOB regardless of the sounding of the whistle; but in that scrum, I want 11 hats on the ball carrier until we hear a whistle.
Careful coach...11 hats on the ball carrier here will get you 11 personal fouls. Illegal helmet contacts.
Coaches teach the kids. Not the officials. The rules book is very specific about this point. Whistle has nothing to do with it. It is your responsibility to teach the players the RIGHT way. Read the rules to find out just how wrong you are on the play to the whistle philosophy. Remember, you are responsible to follow the rules and teach the kids correctly.

"There have to be some fundamental rules that we can rely on every time...and in my opinion, stopping the play on the whistle is one of them." Coach...WHERE EXACTLY IS THAT RULE? We have told you that you are WRONG.
When you change your coaching technique by teaching the RIGHT rules to the players, you may find that your coaching career is long and prosperous. OTHERWISE, you are opening yourself up to lawsuits etc. BECAUSE, you are teaching the players to do something that is explicitly PROHIBITED in the rules. The players are responsible to know when the ball is dead and they learn that directly from you.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

sean,

You crack me up. 11 hats on the ball carrier is an expression in the coaching community that means we want to have 11 guys on defense, hustling to the football, and trying to make the tackle....not that I want 11 spear-jobs on one play...I am hoping that you were joking.

And you are right about the whistle...I would recommend that for all games from now on...don't take a whistle to the game. Technically you don't need one.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

When coaches say play to the whistle they don't mean go nail a kid when he has possession of the ball and his knee is down and there's no whistle.

A coach means to block throughout the entire play, don't just stop and stand there and watch them tackle your player.
Or when a pass is made, that is close and the player doesn't realize if its foward or backward he is taught to play the whistle, do everything to get the ball.

Most kids know that when a player is on his knees he is down, when a player has oviously stepped out of bounds he is out and they know theres no point in hitting him.

As for the 11 hats on the ball, exactly what coach above said. It means that everyone is going in the direction to make the tackle. No player is just standing 15 yards down field watching. Like Justmy2cents said it doens't mean he wants "11 spear-jobs on one play"

And at one of our associations we were joking around about going out to a game one day without our whistles. That would have to be a very iteresting game.

[Edited by Snake~eyes on Oct 23rd, 2003 at 11:48 AM]
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Fundamental III

1. An official's whistle seldom kills the ball. It is already dead.

This is the only "Fundamental" I know of that deals with a whistle...
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Coach:
I am not yelling at you. The text in caps is the exact wording of the rule (NCAA).
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

JustMy2Cents, Let me reverse this for you. Your running back sweeps around the end and slips down. While in a kneeling position, lineback just levels him. LJ was late on his whistle and no flag is thrown. Are you going to go ballistic when the LJ tells you the defense was just playing to the whistle? Of course you are!
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

PiggSkin,

Good point. I would recommend that all officials forego taking the whistle to the next game as well. That way, not only will we be able to enforce the rule about when the ball is actually dead, I as a coach, won't have to worry about any IWs either. Serves 2 purposes actually. Thanks.

TXMike,

I was joking.

Patton,

That's different. I reserve the right to enforce my personal double-standard at anytime I see fit, if I think it gives my team a better chance to win. But seriously, I doubt that I would go "ballistic," if the play is as bang-bang as you say it is, then I give the benefit of the doubt to the officials. Now, if it is not bang-bang, then there will be at least 1 whistle out of 5 sounding before that kid gets hit, at which time, yes, I will go ballistic because it is after the whistle.

This discussion about whether or not there is "technically" any rule about whistles reminds me of the cross-examination of the private in "A Few Good Men."

Tom Cruise: Did you ever eat a meal at any time at Guantanamo Bay?

Private: Yes, sir, 3 squares a day.

Tom Cruise: Could you please point to the [specific rule in the rulebook] that says where the chowhall is?

Private: Uh, sir, I don't think it actually is in the [rulebook].

Tom Cruise: How did you know where to go to eat if [there is no rule in the rulebook] about where the chowhall is?

Private: Well, I guess I just followed the crowd.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

From our (NCAA) rule book: ( I won't put it in caps this time. ;-) )

A live ball becomes dead as provided in the rules or when an official sounds his whistle (even though inadvertently) or otherwise signals the ball dead.

Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

If the officials cannot blow their whistle just in case the ball squited out the other side, then how can the player know for definate that the ball has not squirted out, as he goes into the player on the ground?, if their has been no whistle.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

of course i'm joking. that is why i said HERE you would get the flags. and taking the points to the absurd about the 11 hats and play to the whistle is to bring across the point that no matter how much coaches and officials discuss, they will disagree. you are supposed to laugh and realize at that point that some things are just meant to break the tension.
for example, the one coach here says at pregame "we don't run any trick plays, but we will let you know the moment after we run one." can you believe that one of the officials actually replied "well that is a penalty"?
players have to always hustle or they get hurt so, of course they go to the ball, and you probably teach them that, don't you. (Cue ball vs the standing still 8 ball.) i also bet you teach them to play to the whistle because that definitely ends the play no matter what...The rest of the story But i'm sure you also teach the kids not to hit a guy who is obviously down. Play to the whistle is just PART of what you teach them, isn't it?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

sean,

I hate to admit it, but you caught me hook-line-and-sinker. I feel pretty silly at this point.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by yosemite_sam
If the officials cannot blow their whistle just in case the ball squited out the other side, then how can the player know for definate that the ball has not squirted out, as he goes into the player on the ground?, if their has been no whistle.
Whether or not the ball squirts out, the ballcarrier on the ground shouldn't be hit, the defense should be jumping on the ball, not the downed player.