Thread: Stop on the
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMy2Cents
TXMike,

Yes, I would expect a player to "let up" when he sees a player OOB regardless of the sounding of the whistle; but in that scrum, I want 11 hats on the ball carrier until we hear a whistle.
Careful coach...11 hats on the ball carrier here will get you 11 personal fouls. Illegal helmet contacts.
Coaches teach the kids. Not the officials. The rules book is very specific about this point. Whistle has nothing to do with it. It is your responsibility to teach the players the RIGHT way. Read the rules to find out just how wrong you are on the play to the whistle philosophy. Remember, you are responsible to follow the rules and teach the kids correctly.

"There have to be some fundamental rules that we can rely on every time...and in my opinion, stopping the play on the whistle is one of them." Coach...WHERE EXACTLY IS THAT RULE? We have told you that you are WRONG.
When you change your coaching technique by teaching the RIGHT rules to the players, you may find that your coaching career is long and prosperous. OTHERWISE, you are opening yourself up to lawsuits etc. BECAUSE, you are teaching the players to do something that is explicitly PROHIBITED in the rules. The players are responsible to know when the ball is dead and they learn that directly from you.