The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

That is interesting CK, we are experimenting with FG/PAT this year. We have the WH facing the holder and the wing on the same side as the WH then goes back with the BJ. I think the field coverage is a little more balanced.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 12:26am
Small Business Owner

Cool Oregon

U and BJ back on PAT's and Field Goals.
R always has Kicker/Holder.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 02:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Well we all cannot be perfect. Maybe you are, but most officials I know are not.

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN

This was not the typical "in the pile, stuff happens" behavior. Football is a violent game, but it does not give one the freedom to commit such a violent act.
You need to go back and read my post. If you got out of it that, you need to re-read the post and try to understand the point.

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN

Rut, surely you are not suggesting that intentionally choking a player is one of those things that just "happens" in a pile, are you? A pile does not provide someone with a license to assault a person.
I do not know about you, but every game there is always one kid that claims something happen to them, something was said to them and they were done wrong by the opponent in some way. And because you have 22 players on the field at one time, and sometimes many more on the sidelines or moving on and off the field, "$h!t" happens. If that is a hard concept to understand, then I would really like to talk to the players are at the games you officiate. There is always someone doing something, the question is whether or not you catch it. Many times you cannot catch it. And if you played the game like I did, there was always things that happen in a pile that officials did not see. I did not expect them to see everything when I was a player, why would you as an official expect the same thing?

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN

This action emphasizes the importance of good dead ball officiating to another level. Keep that head on a swivel and eyes open AFTER THE WHISTLE!
That is all wonderful in theory. That sounds good in a presentation or in an association meeting, but the reality is that even the best official miss things with all those players on the ground and on the sidelines. There is always things that go on in the piles that we do not see, with the best intentions.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 02:41am
Do not give a damn!!

It is really easy to sit in the peanut gallery and.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland

Rut,

Don't know if you saw the picture I saw but it looks pretty blatant. Yeah, it was a pile and you see OSU player #47 lying on the ground next to a Wisconsin helmet. The OSU linebacker is on his knees with his right arm exerting what looks to be intentional pressure on the player in the helmet. And, being able to get a hand under the helmet pass the pads and on the throat is not an easy task. If the camera was able to get such a good picture seems like one of the seven officials should have seen something. And, isn't it the referee's job to protect the QB? Plus, there does not appear to be an official within two yards of this pile.
Yes, I saw the replay. But the one thing about the replay, it was just that. A REPLAY!!! It is really easy to play Monday Morning Quarterback and say what should have been seen and what should have been done.

Quote:

Furthermore, the Wisconsin QB could not raise his voice the remainder of the game or talk normally until Monday. Evidence this was more than the normal stuff that happens in a pile.
I really sometimes wonder what guys actual think when they read something. I did not suggest that this incident was simply "normal," but I did say that things happen in the pile that not everyone sees is normal. And yes, it is normal to have cheap shots and "grabbing" under a pile in many situations. Not every official is going to see these actions. No matter how many officials are out there.

I guess you have never watched a lot of NFL Films, when players talk about all the dirty things they got away with during games that was never penalized for them. I guess you have never seen Bill Romonowski play football any time in your life? Because if you had, you would see the many things he has done and was never penalized or fined for his actions. His incident with J.J. Stokes (Romo spit on him) and his tackle of Shannon Sharpe last year alone. And if you did not see the situations on tape, you would have never known they took place. And not just tape, but slow-motion replay on both situations. Which was what I saw on this unfortunate play during this game.

Quote:

If the Big Ten can't handle this situation with seven officials how are we expected to handle such a situation with four or five officials?
Well if they were all perfect like youself, maybe nothing would happen that you would not see. I am sure you would do much better, considering that you are on a discussion board telling us what should be called, rather than being at the game yourself. Not trying to offend you, but it seems you have it more together than the rest of us. I guess we are not worthy?

Peace