View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 02:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Well we all cannot be perfect. Maybe you are, but most officials I know are not.

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN

This was not the typical "in the pile, stuff happens" behavior. Football is a violent game, but it does not give one the freedom to commit such a violent act.
You need to go back and read my post. If you got out of it that, you need to re-read the post and try to understand the point.

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN

Rut, surely you are not suggesting that intentionally choking a player is one of those things that just "happens" in a pile, are you? A pile does not provide someone with a license to assault a person.
I do not know about you, but every game there is always one kid that claims something happen to them, something was said to them and they were done wrong by the opponent in some way. And because you have 22 players on the field at one time, and sometimes many more on the sidelines or moving on and off the field, "$h!t" happens. If that is a hard concept to understand, then I would really like to talk to the players are at the games you officiate. There is always someone doing something, the question is whether or not you catch it. Many times you cannot catch it. And if you played the game like I did, there was always things that happen in a pile that officials did not see. I did not expect them to see everything when I was a player, why would you as an official expect the same thing?

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN

This action emphasizes the importance of good dead ball officiating to another level. Keep that head on a swivel and eyes open AFTER THE WHISTLE!
That is all wonderful in theory. That sounds good in a presentation or in an association meeting, but the reality is that even the best official miss things with all those players on the ground and on the sidelines. There is always things that go on in the piles that we do not see, with the best intentions.

Peace