The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 28, 2018, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

2 questions

I have been having discussions with people about the following play. I think the penalty carries over. Everyone else says it does not.

Extra Point. Defense jumps into the neutral zone. Can this penalty carry over to the following kick-off? The case book does not mention it specifically but the examples on Page 68 make me believe it does. Everyone else says the penalty does not.

Also...
2nd and 10 from the 50 for A. Wide out A99 goes out-of-bounds on his own at the B 40 yard line. A99 catches a pass and is tackled at the B 30 yard line. Penalty for IP. Where is the next snap? At the A 35 yard line or the A 45 yard line?
Old Fri Sep 28, 2018, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAAUMPREF View Post
I have been having discussions with people about the following play. I think the penalty carries over. Everyone else says it does not.

Extra Point. Defense jumps into the neutral zone. Can this penalty carry over to the following kick-off? The case book does not mention it specifically but the examples on Page 68 make me believe it does. Everyone else says the penalty does not.

Also...
2nd and 10 from the 50 for A. Wide out A99 goes out-of-bounds on his own at the B 40 yard line. A99 catches a pass and is tackled at the B 30 yard line. Penalty for IP. Where is the next snap? At the A 35 yard line or the A 45 yard line?
For the extra point, if the ready for play was given, the penalty MUST be enforced on the try. The only time a penalty may be enforced on the try or the subsequent kickoff would be after a score but before the next ready for play is given.

For the second play, the penalty would be enforced from the spot which the player returns to the field of play. Where the pass is caught is irrelevant. Since it is not mentioned where the player returns to the field of play, I can't answer the question. However, this is one of those rare plays when an illegal participation foul may be enforced as a spot foul.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2018, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

This is a loose-ball play so the basic spot is the previous spot. Next snap is from the A-35.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2018, 07:40am
Chain of Fools

If we are working Fed rules here, encroachment is a dead ball foul. Penalty is applied or yardage declined. No ability to carry over a pre-snap DBF.