The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to New AZ Ref
Question

As a second year official, I have started White Hatting a few Jr. High games. Usually, I work with at least 1 senior official to have someone to talk over issues with, last night I only had 2 1st year officials.

I have a couple of questions about plays that happened last night.

1. 4th Down punt play. The snap is low and the punter picks up the ball takes 2 side steps and punts. He is knocked over by a defensive player. The coach wanted roughing, I felt he had moved into the path of the defensive player. Did the 2 side steps make him a runner?

2. Pass Play. B1 intercepts the ball at B's 40. On the run back, B2 blocks in the back at the 50 and A1 Face masks on the tackle. In this case the defense got the ball with "clean hands". I know on a regular play, the off-setting penalties and replay the down, but I think it is different on a change of possession.

3. B is flagged for illegal participation (12 men on the field, my linesman didn't flag it before the play.) A had run for a 25 yard gain. I gave the offense the choice of the results of the play or 15 yard penalty and replay down. I think this is correct, but would like to find out for sure.

Thanks in advance for your assistance
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 07:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

1. Judgment call. The defense doesn't get a free shot, but I would be inclined to let some contact pass. Read through the provisions on RTK in the rule book as they give helpful guidance.

2. Clean hands provision, yes. The face mask is disregarded, the block in the back is handled as an all-but-one, and B keeps the ball.

3. This is correct as the flag is simultaneous with the snap, so the basic spot is the previous spot. Decline penalty, first down.

If the choice is obvious (as in #3 above), I see no need to ask the captain for options. Keep the game moving.

--Rich

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Oct 9th, 2005 at 08:49 PM]
Old Sun Oct 09, 2005, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I tell the captains in the pregame that if their penalty option is VERY obvious, I will just say to them, "you want to move them back," or "you want to decline the penalty and keep the ball, correct." This does speed the game up and make sure there is no confusion on obvious enforcements.