The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 22, 2018, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

Defensive holding,

Defensive holding,
NFHS rules. A 80 goes up field 5 yards and cuts toward the middle of the field. He is held by B 22. Umpire has a flag for Defensive Holding. QB throws a pass to A 80 which is completed and he is tackled after a 9 yard gain from previous spot. What are A’s options?
Old Sat Sep 22, 2018, 07:40am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
Defensive holding,
NFHS rules. A 80 goes up field 5 yards and cuts toward the middle of the field. He is held by B 22. Umpire has a flag for Defensive Holding. QB throws a pass to A 80 which is completed and he is tackled after a 9 yard gain from previous spot. What are A’s options?
(1) 10 yard penalty from the previous spot & replay the down (or 1st down if penalty mark off leaves the ball beyond the line to gain), or (2) decline & accept the results of the play.
Old Sat Sep 22, 2018, 07:08pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
(1) 10 yard penalty from the previous spot & replay the down (or 1st down if penalty mark off leaves the ball beyond the line to gain), or (2) decline & accept the results of the play.
This.

I'm just curious why the U would have a flag on this... why is he watching receivers instead of watching the linemen?
Old Sun Sep 23, 2018, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
This.

I'm just curious why the U would have a flag on this... why is he watching receivers instead of watching the linemen?
Just because Umpires may be standing in the "eye of the hurricane" doesn't mean they're oblivious to all the wind swirling around them.
Old Sun Sep 23, 2018, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Just because Umpires may be standing in the "eye of the hurricane" doesn't mean they're oblivious to all the wind swirling around them.
Yeah but I would not want my umpire calling a foul on a receiver during a passing play. Maybe if the TE is involved, but that is a stretch too. Even in a 7 man system that is a lot for the Umpire to see.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

U is watching no more than T to T so if he has this marker I'm asking him why. That's would be a wing's or B's key someone better be on it or I'm considering waving it off.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 10:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG UMP View Post
U is watching no more than T to T so if he has this marker I'm asking him why. That's would be a wing's or B's key someone better be on it or I'm considering waving it off.
You're being kind with T-T, too. We want ours to own G-C-G and get an elephant elsewhere.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You're being kind with T-T, too. We want ours to own G-C-G and get an elephant elsewhere.
Same. Very unlikely U would ever make that call, at least around here.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Indeed, the H or L would probably have a better angle, maybe even the F or S, if their receiver cut inside. The B would be screened out because he is also in the middle, and because he might have taken over a deeper receiver.

In a 5-man crew, H, L, and/or B would be in the best position to provide input on defensive holding against a receiver in the middle of the field.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 08:19am
Official & ***** Member

This foul probably gets missed 85-90% of the time in a 5-man crew if the U doesn’t get it.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2018, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG UMP View Post
Sometimes, Umpires can actually observe multiple things, simultaneously. That would likely depend on, specifically, when and where the contact occurred as well as what the Umpire actually observed.

Whether, or not, this was the latest in a sequence of events that the Umpire had been specifically asked to observe, might explain his widening his normal field of view as well. But, if the Umpire indicated he SAW something he has decided was a violation, it might not be a bad idea to pay attention to him.