The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 08, 2018, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Eight men on the line

With eight men on the line of scrimmage, the tight end (A-23) lines up next to the tackle, but is covered up by a wide receiver. During the play, A-23 remains at the line and blocks a blitzer. Is this play legal?
Old Sat Sep 08, 2018, 08:01pm
TODO: creative title here

Legal.

The rule states that you must have at least 7 players on the line of scrimmage (FED) or no more than 4 in the backs (NCAA).

There's nothing that says that you can't have 8, 9, or 10 players on the LOS. (You can't have 11 on the LOS because if you did nobody could receive the snap).

Now, if A23 goes more than 3 yards downfield before a legal forward pass is thrown, then you've got a problem.
Old Sun Sep 09, 2018, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaucer View Post
With eight men on the line of scrimmage, the tight end (A-23) lines up next to the tackle, but is covered up by a wide receiver. During the play, A-23 remains at the line and blocks a blitzer. Is this play legal?
If A23 lines-up between "the tackle" and a "wide receiver (who is up on the line) he's NOT A TIGHT END, he's simply another LINEMAN, between the tackle and the player on the end of the line.
Old Mon Sep 10, 2018, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

There is nothing illegal about this formation in either NFHS or NCAA. As was mentioned there is a risk of an ineligible lineman downfield penalty if he travels too far and a forward pass is attempted, but that's true of any lineman.

This formation gets flagged on Sundays sometimes, I think because they have rules that certain numbers must be eligible unless they announce them as ineligible.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
(You can't have 11 on the LOS because if you did nobody could receive the snap).
I've seen that done twice in a game by a team that was getting walloped & conceding safeties by snapping thru the end zone.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 01:53pm
Chain of Fools

Happens all the time in an overload formation. Coaches will sometimes even mention it in pre-game.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
This formation gets flagged on Sundays sometimes, I think because they have rules that certain numbers must be eligible unless they announce them as ineligible.
I think that's the part I'm unsure about. Should it be flagged?
Old Mon Sep 17, 2018, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
I think that's the part I'm unsure about. Should it be flagged?
So the reason it gets flagged is that the NFL requires that all of the players between the players on each end of the line be ineligible whether by number or after having reported as ineligible. So when this gets flagged it is usually because a player with an eligible number is “covered” by another player on the end of the line. The penalty is still considered an illegal formation, but it isn’t specifically for having 8 players on the line.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2018, 08:29am
Chain of Fools

NFL rule set can be totally different in some instances.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2018, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

If either the TE or WR shift to the backfield before the snap, is that legal, and does it make the TE eligible to go downfield?
Old Wed Sep 19, 2018, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If either the TE or WR shift to the backfield before the snap, is that legal, and does it make the TE eligible to go downfield?
Under the NFHS Rule Code, If "the lineman, next to the tackle, but inside the WR on the line (who is NOT A "TIGHT END"), legally shifts to become a "Back", and happens to be wearing an eligible pass reception number, he would be eligible to go wherever he wants prior to, or during a forward pass.

Accurately knowing who players on the field actually are, as defined in NFHS 2-32 can be really helpful in understanding what they are permitted to do.

Last edited by ajmc; Wed Sep 19, 2018 at 08:31am.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2018, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Under the NFHS Rule Code, If "the lineman, next to the tackle, but inside the WR on the line (who is NOT A "TIGHT END"), legally shifts to become a "Back", and happens to be wearing an eligible pass reception number, he would be eligible to go wherever he wants prior to, or during a forward pass.

Accurately knowing who players on the field actually are, as defined in NFHS 2-32 can be really helpful in understanding what they are permitted to do.
What about NFL rules?