The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Rule 3-1(in the table of game clock times) indicates that the head coach is responsible for his team being on the field for the mandatory warm-up time at the end of the scheduled halftime intermission. The rule book does not address the penalty if a team is not on the field for the warm-up. Rule 9-8-1g indicates that an unsportsmanlike penalty will be assessed for the failure of a team to be ready to start either half.

I would like to have input as the proper penalty administration in the above situation. Do you flag a team 15 yards if they have not returned to the field for the warm-up and then wait for them to return to the field prior to starting the 3 minute time period or would you have the clock keeper put the 3:00 minutes up and start the clock and penalize the team if they fail to return to the field by the time the 3:00 minutes have expired?

Please indicate where this information can be found in the rule book. Thanks to all responses and for your help.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmiececil
Rule 3-1(in the table of game clock times) indicates that the head coach is responsible for his team being on the field for the mandatory warm-up time at the end of the scheduled halftime intermission ...
'nuff said. It is the coach's responsibility.

As for the timing, in Florida we have a twenty minute halftime mandated by the state association. The field clock is set to 17:00 and starts when both teams have left the field. When the 17 is done, the clock is reset to 3:00 for the warmup. If the team is not ready at the end of that 3 minute period, we have rule coverage.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

We talked about this at our last association meeting. We were told that the 3:00 warm-up period cannot start until both teams are back on the field. If a team is not back on the field (or at least where an official can see that they are on the way back to the field) by the end of the scheduled intermission, then it is a penalty for USC.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

You need to handle the penalty aspect of this situation by the regulations of your state association. Remember this, it doesn't matter how late the teams are reporting to the field, they still must have their 3:00 warmup period. It doesn't matter if the just look at you for 3:00 minutes, they must have the opportunity.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

If it's a 20 minute half, we put 23:00 on the clock. As long as they're ready to play when the clock reaches 0:00, I could care less where they've been or how they spent their 3 minutes.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Kansas we usually have 15 minute half-times. We put 15 minutes on the clock and when that runs out we put 3 minutes on it and then run that. When that runs out we start the second half. So I guess you might say we have 18 minute half-times. We have never had a team not be there for the 3 minute warm-up.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Teams must return to the field by the end of the halftime period. Then the three minute warm-up begins.

Failure to return by the end of the halftime is an unsportsmanlike. The team regardless of when they return MUST warmup for three minutes. They cannot warmup in the locker room.

BTW. If the teams return and the halftime activities are not concluded, a penalty is assessed to the home team. And, when the activites conclude, they MUST warm up for three minutes.

I am sure we have all bent that rule a few times.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Teams must return to the field by the end of the halftime period. Then the three minute warm-up begins.

Failure to return by the end of the halftime is an unsportsmanlike. The team regardless of when they return MUST warmup for three minutes. They cannot warmup in the locker room.

BTW. If the teams return and the halftime activities are not concluded, a penalty is assessed to the home team. And, when the activites conclude, they MUST warm up for three minutes.

You do what your state association tells you to do. That is the only thing that you MUST do.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

You do what your state association tells you to do. That is the only thing that you MUST do.
Let me direct you to the 2002 Case Book regarding halftime:

HALFTIME TIMING (3-1 Table): An intermission between halves was initially created to provide a break from competition for the players. That time for rest and recovery for those participants also presented an opportunity for schools to showcase other extracurricular activities, such as marching bands, dance and/or spirit groups. However, game management has long been restricted in extending its halftime beyond 15 minutes, unless it has a scheduled homecoming, parents/seniors recognition, or other "special halftime activities." Deleting the requirement of "special halftime activities" before it is permissible to increase an intermission to 20 minutes, provides game management with more flexibility in determining its length of halftime; however, 15 minutes is still the norm. It should be noted that state high school associations retain the authority to restrict the amount of time placed on game clocks to anywhere between 10 minutes and 20 minutes. However, neither state associations nor game officials can delete the requirement of the three-minute warm-up period following the halftime period.

The three-minute warm-up period MUST be observed and according to the rules cannot be overridden.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for citing the Case Book situation, Ed. But you can cite all the rulings you want to. You do what your state association tells you to do. That is the only thing that you MUST do. If you don't beleive me, take a look at some of the PSK threads and digest what some states are doing with that. I don't believe that state associations can rule contrary to the case book or rule book with regard to PSK, but they are.

BTW, did you have an opportunity to go back and read our discussion on "11th off then back on." I believe you'll find that SITUATION 4 proves that your ruling was incorrect in that scenario.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, neither state associations nor game officials can delete the requirement of the three-minute warm-up period following the halftime period.[/I]

The three-minute warm-up period MUST be observed and according to the rules cannot be overridden.
The three minute warm-up period is a MUST. The teams are only required to be on the field.

3-1-5 Mandatory Warm-up Activity Following Intermission: 3 minutes

(The head coach is responsible for his team being on the
field for mandatory warm-up time at the end of the scheduled
halftime intermission.)

It doesn't say that the team is required to warm-up during this time, just that they are on the field.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for citing the Case Book situation, Ed. But you can cite all the rulings you want to. You do what your state association tells you to do. That is the only thing that you MUST do. If you don't beleive me, take a look at some of the PSK threads and digest what some states are doing with that. I don't believe that state associations can rule contrary to the case book or rule book with regard to PSK, but they are.
I can believe what is happening with the PSK especially the double foul which was not truly thought out. In New York we were directed to enforce double foul then two weeks later it changed to enforce as NCAA PSK double foul.

Quote:

BTW, did you have an opportunity to go back and read our discussion on "11th off then back on." I believe you'll find that SITUATION 4 proves that your ruling was incorrect in that scenario.
Sure does. I did present a past play to our interpreter where the 11th man was used to deceive and that was also covered. Now we have to figure was it a mistake or an intentional mistake.

One new question? How can you ever create a player vacancy?
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One new question? How can you ever create a player vacancy?
No idea!
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 02:14am
Small Business Owner

Thumbs down BBR I am confused...

Quote:
If it's a 20 minute half, we put 23:00 on the clock. As long as they're ready to play when the clock reaches 0:00, I could care less where they've been or how they spent their 3 minutes.
So I can understand what you are saying clearly I ask these three questions.
1) Are you doing this on your own, or is your state association directing you to IGNORE THE MANDATORY WARMUP REQUIRMENT listed in Table 3-1 on Page 31?
2) Has your state put this "Ignore the Mandate" policy in writing?
3) Are your state association attorneys aware of this complete disregard of a player safety rules mandate?

Not being an attorney I can merely surmise that a legal firm representing an injured player would have a "field day" with this policy and be able to take you and/or your state association to the cleaners!

If this truley is your state association policy then;
1) I wouldn't be advertising it!
2) I would quickly be looking in to changing it.

You have everything to lose and nothing to gain by the stand you are suggesting!

To compare your stand in this matter to what some states have (correctly) done with PSK (such as Oregon) is foolhardy and a bit askew! There is no "grey area" in Table 3-1. It is perfectly clear with no known conflicts in interpretation in any NFHS publication anywhere!
And yes I did say "correctly" as the NFHS has now seen the light and correctly revised the interpretation of Situation 13.

So I am clear, I am not attempting to find fault here but rather I am attempting to offer good sound advice!
My 2 cents...
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 02:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Cool Better late than never.

Quote:

I have been telling you this for years. But everytime I say it, you claim I do not know what I am talking about. Because no matter what the NF says, we are not licensed by the NF for anything. The NF is a guide to what we are to do, but not the God of all of our actions.

Nice to see you come around.

Peace