The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Penalty Announcement

When under the NFHS rules did they start announcing the number of the player who committed a penalty. I noticed it this past weekend during the Minnesota State Title Games. Thank you.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 07:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

A while now. Subtle change in the manual, from "will not" to "may."

I always thought that particular prohibition was downright silly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A while now. Subtle change in the manual, from "will not" to "may."

I always thought that particular prohibition was downright silly.
Why would you ever write in the rules what someone may do? Why not just eliminate verbiage referring to any such thing?

That's not the only example of surplus verbiage. Who needs a passage describing the object of the game? The rules tell you how to keep score, tell you the greater score wins; why not just leave it to one's imagination that each team would try to win? If a team for some reason tries to lose, what's the penalty, a forfeit?
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A while now. Subtle change in the manual, from "will not" to "may." I always thought that particular prohibition was downright silly.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
My understanding of the practice's origin was to advise the offending team coach, who specifically violated a rule, so that coach could take whatever personalized corrective measures to teach the player to avoid such problems in the future.

Still don't comprehend why the spectators need to know the identity of the fouling player (could be that TV and "latest technology" had something to do with it) but it's actual purpose and value, or publicly announcing identity of the perpetrator, escape me.

Announcing, and explaining, the violation makes sense as it helps spectators understand what is happening.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 12:01pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
When under the NFHS rules did they start announcing the number of the player who committed a penalty. I noticed it this past weekend during the Minnesota State Title Games. Thank you.
It changed in MN for the 2017 season... prior to 2017 they didn't want us announcing the player's number, but now they require us to announce the player's number.

Of course, it only really matters for games where the R has a field microphone. And, at least for our crew, that was 2 out of 11 games. And, of course, one of those games just happened to be the game where we had 3 separate fouls on a single punt play.
Old Mon Nov 27, 2017, 01:57pm
Chain of Fools

Because as we all learned in Business Law, there's a big difference between "may" and "shall".

In this instance, the Fed is handing off responsibility off to individual states to interpret how they wish.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Because as we all learned in Business Law, there's a big difference between "may" and "shall".

In this instance, the Fed is handing off responsibility off to individual states to interpret how they wish.
But wouldn't that be accomplished just as well by Fed's not making any mention of such announcements?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 10:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

The whole notion that not announcing the foul saves the kid from embarrassment is just idiotic.

It's all part of letting people know what happened. Was holding on a receiver, was it on a lineman, was it on a back? Hey, let's just announce the number.

And yes, TV. It's nice for them to know where to show a replay if it's a multi-camera game, which I know doesn't happen for many of us on Friday nights.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 11:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The whole notion that not announcing the foul saves the kid from embarrassment is just idiotic.

It's all part of letting people know what happened. Was holding on a receiver, was it on a lineman, was it on a back? Hey, let's just announce the number.

And yes, TV. It's nice for them to know where to show a replay if it's a multi-camera game, which I know doesn't happen for many of us on Friday nights.
And in sports like basketball, we announce the number anyway. Why is football so special when we do not foul out the player. But when we have an Unsporting act, it is good that we let everyone know who that is we just called that penalty on.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And in sports like basketball, we announce the number anyway.

Peace
Way back when I played you had to raise your hand if the foul was on you.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Way back when I played you had to raise your hand if the foul was on you.
And that was the rule back before I started officiating basketball. That is no longer the case of course.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
it is good that we let everyone know who that is we just called that penalty on. Peace
I can appreciate the benefit of letting a Coach know specifically what the nature of the USC foul was, as well as who committed it, so he/she might be in a better position to correct such damaging behavior and prevent it from reoccurring.

How THAT Coach decides to deal with the situation, is up to THAT Coach.

Why does a spectator need that information? What can he/she do with it. Perhaps a parent should know, that seems a decision better made by THAT Coach, who may understand the family dynamics a lot better.

Presuming that EVERY SINGLE UNC foul committed is a MISTAKE (by that player - no excuses, no pay back) as a lack of control and focus, what good does it do to point out THAT player's MISTAKE to a lot of strangers? What's the point?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 08:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

This last post brought to you by the 1980s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

In basketball the PA announcer says the fouling player's NAME over the microphone, even for a technical foul. Yet in football it's "embarrassing" for the R to say the number? Please.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This last post brought to you by the 1980s.
Always willing to be updated with something worthwhile, so what's the NEW modern benefit?
Closed Thread