The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Kicking ball?

Is it a rule (IHSA) that you can't use a game ball after using a kicking ball? I saw a play in a youth game this weekend where a team used a kicking ball, kicked and recovered the onside kick and the line judge wouldn't let the team swap in the game ball. Is that right? Never heard of that.
Old Mon Oct 02, 2017, 10:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

There is no such thing as a kicking ball at any level other than the NFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

It's a new series, so they can *request* to swap out the ball. But it's just that, a request. It's not an entitlement or right to swap.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 09:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

I would always let them bring a new ball out. But all balls checked in will be at the same pressure, etc. as we check and fix those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 10:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
Is it a rule (IHSA) that you can't use a game ball after using a kicking ball? I saw a play in a youth game this weekend where a team used a kicking ball, kicked and recovered the onside kick and the line judge wouldn't let the team swap in the game ball. Is that right? Never heard of that.
Without getting into too much detail, they have to use the same ball for the series. The exception is when there is weather, that could change the quality of the ball.

So a team can use a ball specifically to kick the ball on a free kick if the ball is approved and it fits the requirements, but it can be rejected if it does not meet rules that fit or is not inflated properly.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 05:36pm
Chain of Fools

Since a "kicking" ball is not allowed by rule, the crew might have been forcing them to keep playing with so as to prevent it from becoming just the "kicking" ball. Of course this being youth league, who knows?

Once or twice a year in HS games, the kicker or ball boys will present the "kicking" ball to us in pregame. We'll hand it to their QB and ask him if he will play with it. If he says yes, we'll tell the ball boys that it has to go into their rotation. If he says no, we toss it out.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2017, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Since a "kicking" ball is not allowed by rule, the crew might have been forcing them to keep playing with so as to prevent it from becoming just the "kicking" ball. Of course this being youth league, who knows?

Once or twice a year in HS games, the kicker or ball boys will present the "kicking" ball to us in pregame. We'll hand it to their QB and ask him if he will play with it. If he says yes, we'll tell the ball boys that it has to go into their rotation. If he says no, we toss it out.
As long as it's a ball that they've brought in pregame and you've judged to be legal, why would you care what their rotation would be?
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

A simple way to avoid problems, is to consistently insure that the official, who is responsible for K during a free kick, possesses the ball prior to giving it to the kicker. Whether it's been pre-screened, or not, that official judges and DECIDES if that ball is suitable.

If so, he hands it to the kicker, if not he rejects it and requests a replacement. No discussion, debate or argument is necessary. Rejection is rejection and a replacement ball is REQUIRED.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 10:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
A simple way to avoid problems, is to consistently insure that the official, who is responsible for K during a free kick, possesses the ball prior to giving it to the kicker. Whether it's been pre-screened, or not, that official judges and DECIDES if that ball is suitable.

If so, he hands it to the kicker, if not he rejects it and requests a replacement. No discussion, debate or argument is necessary. Rejection is rejection and a replacement ball is REQUIRED.

All balls have to be approved prior to the game. If it doesn't have our mark, it's not coming in.

The ball used for the free kick can be any of these, far as I'm concerned. Usually it's placed behind the goal post for the back judge prior to the try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Oct 04, 2017, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
All balls have to be approved prior to the game. If it doesn't have our mark, it's not coming in. The ball used for the free kick can be any of these, far as I'm concerned. Usually it's placed behind the goal post for the back judge prior to the try.
Excellent practice, however if by some strange factor, or practice, either a ball not "properly marked" or left where expected, or has somehow become defective SINCE being initially approved somehow sneaks in, hopefully it will pass through the ultimate security check (a specific game officials hands) where it will be detected, and rejected.

Last edited by ajmc; Wed Oct 04, 2017 at 04:13pm.