The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Kicking ball? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/102962-kicking-ball.html)

Cappy Mon Oct 02, 2017 08:25pm

Kicking ball?

Is it a rule (IHSA) that you can't use a game ball after using a kicking ball? I saw a play in a youth game this weekend where a team used a kicking ball, kicked and recovered the onside kick and the line judge wouldn't let the team swap in the game ball. Is that right? Never heard of that.

Rich Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:33pm

There is no such thing as a kicking ball at any level other than the NFL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

scrounge Tue Oct 03, 2017 07:39am

It's a new series, so they can *request* to swap out the ball. But it's just that, a request. It's not an entitlement or right to swap.

Rich Tue Oct 03, 2017 09:21am

I would always let them bring a new ball out. But all balls checked in will be at the same pressure, etc. as we check and fix those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JRutledge Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cappy (Post 1009584)
Is it a rule (IHSA) that you can't use a game ball after using a kicking ball? I saw a play in a youth game this weekend where a team used a kicking ball, kicked and recovered the onside kick and the line judge wouldn't let the team swap in the game ball. Is that right? Never heard of that.

Without getting into too much detail, they have to use the same ball for the series. The exception is when there is weather, that could change the quality of the ball.

So a team can use a ball specifically to kick the ball on a free kick if the ball is approved and it fits the requirements, but it can be rejected if it does not meet rules that fit or is not inflated properly.

Peace

HLin NC Tue Oct 03, 2017 05:36pm

Since a "kicking" ball is not allowed by rule, the crew might have been forcing them to keep playing with so as to prevent it from becoming just the "kicking" ball. Of course this being youth league, who knows?

Once or twice a year in HS games, the kicker or ball boys will present the "kicking" ball to us in pregame. We'll hand it to their QB and ask him if he will play with it. If he says yes, we'll tell the ball boys that it has to go into their rotation. If he says no, we toss it out.

scrounge Tue Oct 03, 2017 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 1009624)
Since a "kicking" ball is not allowed by rule, the crew might have been forcing them to keep playing with so as to prevent it from becoming just the "kicking" ball. Of course this being youth league, who knows?

Once or twice a year in HS games, the kicker or ball boys will present the "kicking" ball to us in pregame. We'll hand it to their QB and ask him if he will play with it. If he says yes, we'll tell the ball boys that it has to go into their rotation. If he says no, we toss it out.

As long as it's a ball that they've brought in pregame and you've judged to be legal, why would you care what their rotation would be?

ajmc Wed Oct 04, 2017 09:46am

A simple way to avoid problems, is to consistently insure that the official, who is responsible for K during a free kick, possesses the ball prior to giving it to the kicker. Whether it's been pre-screened, or not, that official judges and DECIDES if that ball is suitable.

If so, he hands it to the kicker, if not he rejects it and requests a replacement. No discussion, debate or argument is necessary. Rejection is rejection and a replacement ball is REQUIRED.

Rich Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 1009653)
A simple way to avoid problems, is to consistently insure that the official, who is responsible for K during a free kick, possesses the ball prior to giving it to the kicker. Whether it's been pre-screened, or not, that official judges and DECIDES if that ball is suitable.

If so, he hands it to the kicker, if not he rejects it and requests a replacement. No discussion, debate or argument is necessary. Rejection is rejection and a replacement ball is REQUIRED.

All balls have to be approved prior to the game. If it doesn't have our mark, it's not coming in.

The ball used for the free kick can be any of these, far as I'm concerned. Usually it's placed behind the goal post for the back judge prior to the try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ajmc Wed Oct 04, 2017 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1009654)
All balls have to be approved prior to the game. If it doesn't have our mark, it's not coming in. The ball used for the free kick can be any of these, far as I'm concerned. Usually it's placed behind the goal post for the back judge prior to the try.

Excellent practice, however if by some strange factor, or practice, either a ball not "properly marked" or left where expected, or has somehow become defective SINCE being initially approved somehow sneaks in, hopefully it will pass through the ultimate security check (a specific game officials hands) where it will be detected, and rejected.