The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 03:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
There are four classifications of OPI: 1) blocking downfield (or pick plays), 2) shoving or pushing off, 3) driving through a defender, and 4) the receiver turning into a defender.

http://www.nkoafootball.org/smembers...g/hardcall.doc

I think it is pretty obvious the Offense initiated the contact. That is my opinion.

You're entitled to be wrong.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 03:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
There are four classifications of OPI: 1) blocking downfield (or pick plays), 2) shoving or pushing off, 3) driving through a defender, and 4) the receiver turning into a defender.

http://www.nkoafootball.org/smembers...g/hardcall.doc
And he did none of those.

Offensive can run routes. They run routes by running from one position to another. If the defense goes with them, that is no them. There was no separation on the play or even any major push from the spot. The defender tried to take away the inside move (which many are taught to do) and never tried to go outside with the other receiver. Which this was likely a play designed by film study and figured the outside guy would bite on the play. He did and as an official, I need either separation or material contact to make that call, especially in this part of the field (notice I did not say game). The first play at the goal line was closer, but even then, the defender went with that guy as well. If he pushes off and gets separation, then maybe you have a flag. But that is very marginal. It was well executed and why there was no foul called either time if you ask me.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/9/142...terference-rub

Pretty sketchy if you ask me. I see a defender backing up gets hit on outside number and gets driven off the ball.

Everyone wanted Clemson to win, Hell I wanted Clemson to win. I thought it was OPI though. And Bama deserves to lose because they let it happen twice!

Last edited by bigjohn; Wed Jan 11, 2017 at 03:20pm.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 03:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/9/142...terference-rub

Pretty sketchy if you ask me. I see a defender backing up gets hit on outside number and gets driven off the ball.

Everyone wanted Clemson to win, Hell I wanted Clemson to win. I thought it was OPI though. And Bama deserves to lose because they let it happen twice!
Honestly, if you have not done it, then really your opinion is really what it is, just an opinion. It does not make it a good one or even right.

I told you some time ago, put in the stripes and come talk to me.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 11, 2017, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe this will put the argument to bed. Redding has already weighed in and agreed that it a good no call since the defender initiated contact.

https://twitter.com/ralphDrussoAP/st...82978029928453
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 10:22am
Chain of Fools

In one of Dominique Foxworth's radio segments the other morning, he said the problem with the defense was both DB's were in press coverage at the line. One or both of the DB's playing off should have been able to avoid or reduce the benefit of the pick, so it's on the players for not doing what they are taught or the coaches for not teaching them a technique they needed to succeed.

But officials are the easy target.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the receiver turning into a defender.
I puzzled over that one until I realized it meant, "the receiver turning in to a defender".