The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Chiefs vs Steelers--2 pt try

There was a holding call made against our KC left tackle on an edge rusher on Pitt in last SUnday Playoff Game. The result of the call was that it disallowed our successful 2 pt try that would've tied the game. Many fans are saying that the such call should have been ignored because the Pitt player was falling down anyhow. Even a HS football ref told me that he would've passed on the call.
Am I missing something here? Do NFL officials call games tighter than HS level refs? Would it have been reasonable to pass on that call? Or was that call really a call that a normal ref would've made--despite the gravity of the situation?
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 03:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
There was a holding call made against our KC left tackle on an edge rusher on Pitt in last SUnday Playoff Game. The result of the call was that it disallowed our successful 2 pt try that would've tied the game. Many fans are saying that the such call should have been ignored because the Pitt player was falling down anyhow. Even a HS football ref told me that he would've passed on the call.
Am I missing something here? Do NFL officials call games tighter than HS level refs? Would it have been reasonable to pass on that call? Or was that call really a call that a normal ref would've made--despite the gravity of the situation?
Our?

I would not have passed and I'm also a HS ref. So, are we even now?

Whether I call a hold on that play has nothing to do with the situation. Two points is two points.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

That was a hook and restrict that turned into a takedown. The defender wouldn't fall down if he hadn't been dragged down...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm a former HS Football official, and that was as clear a hold as you can find. Wipe away your tears, congratulate the Steelers, and better luck next year.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Wonder if the HS FB ref referenced in the first post was a Chiefs fan, too.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I think we should thank that lineman for video we can use to show a perfect example of a hold in our clinics next season.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Even a HS football ref told me that he would've passed on the call. Am I missing something here?
Well I am a HS Referee and I would have called that a hold. And would have called that if it was a college game. Maybe the guys you asked were not worth a crap at that level?

Quote:
Do NFL officials call games tighter than HS level refs? Would it have been reasonable to pass on that call? Or was that call really a call that a normal ref would've made--despite the gravity of the situation?
No, usually the NFL requires more takedowns to get a hold call. HS officials in my experience have a simple jersey pull even if for a moment and call a foul. Yes the call was warranted and warranted at all levels I work and I do not work the NFL. Who cares about the situation as well. If you prevent the defender from making a play, that is the point of attack.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 05:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I think we should thank that lineman for video we can use to show a perfect example of a hold in our clinics next season.
This
Old Wed Jan 18, 2017, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Well, here's a pretty blunt statement by the NFL about what they thought of the call:

SUPER BOWL LI OFFICIATING CREW ANNOUNCED

Kelce, from the Chefs, will love that!!
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Well I guess that settles it.
Old Thu Jan 19, 2017, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

He had already been put in there, though I guess its possible he could have been removed had he screwed something up badly.

My problem with the call is that it is initiated by the defender's arm coming up and locking the offensive player's arm into that position. Could the offensive player have released had he wanted to?