The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 22, 2016, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Foul or no foul?

I saw this play during the Idaho Potato Bowl. 3rd quarter 8:13. Idaho scores a TD and the player leaps onto the stands (like the Green Bay Packers) to be congratulated by fans. Should this be a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct?

With that, I saw several instances in other games where after scores the players are doing dances, making prolonged gestures to the fans and no flags were thrown. Sorry I wish I remembered the games but it did happen.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Doing the Lambeau Leap? Absolutely a foul. 9-2-1-a-1-h.

Dancing and other gestures would be up to the covering official. If it's not prolonged, choreographed with a teammate, or directed at an opponent, it's probably ok.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 11:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thIsleZebra View Post
I saw this play during the Idaho Potato Bowl. 3rd quarter 8:13. Idaho scores a TD and the player leaps onto the stands (like the Green Bay Packers) to be congratulated by fans. Should this be a foul for unsportsmanlike conduct?

With that, I saw several instances in other games where after scores the players are doing dances, making prolonged gestures to the fans and no flags were thrown. Sorry I wish I remembered the games but it did happen.
He also spiked the football behind him after scoring on the play. I was surprised there were no flags, given that AND the leap into the stands. The announcer said something about a flag, but I have not found evidence of that happening.
Old Fri Dec 23, 2016, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen more than one instance in college games where the scoring player spiked the ball, not a windup spike like in the NFL but nevertheless a hard slam to the ground after scoring. Have not seen a flag thrown for those, at least the games I've watched.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2016, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thIsleZebra View Post
I've seen more than one instance in college games where the scoring player spiked the ball, not a windup spike like in the NFL but nevertheless a hard slam to the ground after scoring. Have not seen a flag thrown for those, at least the games I've watched.
I remember when they started flagging the spike in NCAA for UC in the late 1960s or maybe 1970, after it'd become a common TD gesture in NFL for a few yrs., although there are earlier examples in college ball of that gesture; I just saw one on YouTube from 1964. Previous to that, NFL had to start instituting fines for throwing the ball into the stands after a TD, because one game they ran out of balls, and had to get one back from a fan. They later instituted the end zone net for the same reason, although usually it was understood those kicked balls weren't intended as souvenirs like baseballs. But when a player throws the ball up there, how can you not understand that as a keeper?
Old Sun Dec 25, 2016, 03:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the play.

The ensuing kick off is from the 20 BTW. So it appears there was a penalty that they did not show in the broadcast clearly.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 27, 2016, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

I've got nothing on the "spike", but UNS on the leap.

Looked and sounded like it was handled correctly on the field (multiple tweets of whistles after he went into the stands indicating that someone had a flag down and kickoff at the 20).