The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 26, 2016, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Pylon

1. If the properly placed pylon is "out of bounds" (1-4) why do we consider a ball in player possession (A runner going towards B' goal line) that touches the pylon a TD?

2. Kick off heading towards EZ, hits one of the front pylons: Touch back or Kick out of bounds?
Old Mon Sep 26, 2016, 03:56pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehat View Post
1. If the properly placed pylon is "out of bounds" (1-4) why do we consider a ball in player possession (A runner going towards B' goal line) that touches the pylon a TD?

2. Kick off heading towards EZ, hits one of the front pylons: Touch back or Kick out of bounds?
Because it's out of bounds behind the goal line. In order to touch the pylon, the ball must have broken the GL plane first.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2016, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

That is my thought as well and yet two things.
1. I can't find "behind the goal line" as a part of the definition of the properly placed pylon.
2. The outside edge of the pylon is technically out of bounds if properly placed.

I am not suggesting or arguing that either of these should not be a TD or TB (as appropriate) yet the NFHS language should be more specific in clarifying this.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2016, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Look at it this way: If you don't call it a TD, where you gonna spot the ball?
Old Mon Sep 26, 2016, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is my thought as well and yet two things.
1. I can't find "behind the goal line" as a part of the definition of the properly placed pylon.
2. The outside edge of the pylon is technically out of bounds if properly placed.

I am not suggesting or arguing that either of these should not be a TD or TB (as appropriate) yet the NFHS language should be more specific in clarifying this.
I don't see the problem. The entirety of the pylon is behind the goal line and out of bounds. If that's not a problem for the white lines, why's it a problem for the orange post? "[P]laced at the inside corner of each of the intersections of the sidelines with the goal lines and the end lines...." How else could you see it?

When flags were used, that could sometimes be a problem.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If that's not a problem for the white lines
Good point! A runner is running near midfield and near the sideline. He reaches the ball out and a part of his body other than a hand or foot hits the ground simultaneously with the ball hitting the ground (in his possession) on the sideline that intersects the 45 yard line. Where are you going to spot the ball? Why wouldn't this spot also apply if the sideline the ball hit intersected the goal line.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is one where I maintain the official ruling is wrong. I say that if it hits the side facing the opposite sideline, then it crossed the GL before going OOB and is a touchback. If it hits the side facing the opposite end line, then it went OOB before crossing the goal line and should be marked at the R1.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
This is one where I maintain the official ruling is wrong. I say that if it hits the side facing the opposite sideline, then it crossed the GL before going OOB and is a touchback. If it hits the side facing the opposite end line, then it went OOB before crossing the goal line and should be marked at the R1.
When the pylon is properly set, so that it's front edge is on the goal line, why would a kick, that touches that front edge, not have broken the plane of the goal line, which satisfies the requirement of being a touchback? "Crossing the line" is not necessary.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Forget about it hitting the pylon for a moment. You are standing at the pylon for a kickoff. From here you clearly see the ball crosses the plane of the sideline before reaching the goal line. It then lands two yards behind the goal line and five yards OOB. Is this a touchback?
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 09:29am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Forget about it hitting the pylon for a moment. You are standing at the pylon for a kickoff. From here you clearly see the ball crosses the plane of the sideline before reaching the goal line. It then lands two yards behind the goal line and five yards OOB. Is this a touchback?
Of course not.

But you're asking the wrong question. What you should be asking is: Can the ball touch the pylon without breaking the GL plane (extended)? The answer is "no".

The reason for having pylons is to give the players and officials an easy vertical reference point for the location of the intersection of the goal line and sideline. Defining the pylon as being OOB behind the GL makes it simple to officiate.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

But my entire point is that in order to hit the face of the pylon that is facing the opposite end line, the ball must have cross the sideline first before it hit the pylon.

If the kick that lands 5 yards OOB is not a touchback because it crosses the sideline before it crosses the goal line, why is it a touchback just because it hits the pylon?
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 10:18am
NFHS Official

The front face of the pylon is the front edge of the goal line. Any ball that hits the pylon breaks the front edge of the goal line. All the pylon does is give us a tool to judge if the ball crosses the goal line or doesn't.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe Altor's example needs to be even more starkly stated:

(a) A1's punt from close to the sideline crosses the sideline immediately, but an in-field wind keeps the ball close as it travels in the air, and the 1st thing it hits is the front face of the goal line pylon 40 yards downfield. What's your spot? I'd say where it crossed the sideline.

Now say the pylon is missing -- happens a lot with the weighted ones we use that blow over or away easily -- and the ball takes the same path as in a, but hits the ground

(b) a foot outside the sideline in goal, or
(c) a foot inside the sideline in the end zone.

I'd say in b that the spot would be the same as in a, but c would result in a touchback. In c the status of the ball was never "out of bounds".
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 02:29pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Maybe Altor's example needs to be even more starkly stated:

(a) A1's punt from close to the sideline crosses the sideline immediately, but an in-field wind keeps the ball close as it travels in the air, and the 1st thing it hits is the front face of the goal line pylon 40 yards downfield. What's your spot? I'd say where it crossed the sideline.

Now say the pylon is missing -- happens a lot with the weighted ones we use that blow over or away easily -- and the ball takes the same path as in a, but hits the ground

(b) a foot outside the sideline in goal, or
(c) a foot inside the sideline in the end zone.

I'd say in b that the spot would be the same as in a, but c would result in a touchback. In c the status of the ball was never "out of bounds".
Its not OOB until it hits something OOB. When do you stop the clock on a pass that is thrown OOB? When it crosses the line or when it hits something OOB?

I would say all 3 would be touchbacks

Last edited by OKREF; Tue Sep 27, 2016 at 02:32pm.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Its not OOB until it hits something OOB. When do you stop the clock on a pass that is thrown OOB? When it crosses the line or when it hits something OOB?

I would say all 3 would be touchbacks
You might want to reread the rule on punts out of bounds in particular.

West Houston Mike