The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 10, 2015, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Fake an Injury During a Down

PAT A lines up with a bunch formation of receivers out to the right. Immediately with the snap one of those receivers falls to ground screaming in pain, everyone kind of stops and stairs at him as the QB throws the ball to the TE on the left side for a 2 point. The receiver then gets up cheering and chest bumping over to the sideline.

I ruled it illegal with the philosophy that "if it looks wrong, it probably is" Trying to find a rule to support the decision.

IP rule says a player lying on the ground at or before the snap, not after the snap.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2015, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
PAT A lines up with a bunch formation of receivers out to the right. Immediately with the snap one of those receivers falls to ground screaming in pain, everyone kind of stops and stairs at him as the QB throws the ball to the TE on the left side for a 2 point. The receiver then gets up cheering and chest bumping over to the sideline.

I ruled it illegal with the philosophy that "if it looks wrong, it probably is" Trying to find a rule to support the decision.

IP rule says a player lying on the ground at or before the snap, not after the snap.
If there is ANY explaining necessary, it should be by the coach who allowed such a bonehead effort.
Old Sat Oct 10, 2015, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Kill the play! You're sure the player was dying and that's more important than a football play.

Oh! He was faking? then we have an inadvertent whistle and an USC foul on the player.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 10, 2015, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
If there is ANY explaining necessary, it should be by the coach who allowed such a bonehead effort.
After the flag the kid said, "I knew it was illegal but coach told me to do it."
Old Sat Oct 10, 2015, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

The provisions re unsportsmanlike conduct in all the major codes are open-ended, not exhaustive. I don't think many people would have a problem finding the feigning of injury during play to be unsportsmanlike. The only question is whether you'd stop play because it looks like a dangerous situation, and that would depend on how convincing the act was.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2015, 03:28pm
TODO: creative title here

Well, I think I've just discovered the first situation where I'd have a UNS flag for an injured player.

Congrats, Reffing Rev.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
After the flag the kid said, "I knew it was illegal but coach told me to do it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Well, I think I've just discovered the first situation where I'd have a UNS flag for an injured player.

Congrats, Reffing Rev.
Looks like we've also found a reason to eject a coach for an "injured player". This is why the popularity of the "wrong ball" play is a bad thing. Coaches stop teaching mechanics, teamwork and sportsmanship, and teach deceit, cheating and taking falls.
Stop that in its tracks. Let the flag fly and let the coach take a hike. I'll write that ejection report 8 days a week.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

After the snap, can a fake injury make the defense think the snap is not imminent?
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 08:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
After the snap, can a fake injury make the defense think the snap is not imminent?
Of course not. What's your point?
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post

Are you suggesting this should be legal deception?
Old Tue Oct 13, 2015, 07:14am
Chain of Fools

He's parsing the rule guys. Sometimes we have to do that. He has a point.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2015, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Really? This type of "deception" is a Pandora's Box that NOBODY should EVER consider opening or weasel wording (parsing).
Old Tue Oct 13, 2015, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
If so, I wish he'd explain it.
Old Wed Oct 14, 2015, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with his point.

Seriously... how many times have we seen an ACTUAL injury happen during play that causes someone to scream out. Have we EVER seen the rest of the players quit playing?

I'm not positive we have grounds for a penalty here.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 14, 2015, 12:19pm

It depends on how you envision it... If someone goes down with an injury while obviously participating in the play (running, tackling, throwing) then nobody's going to stop playing and it's not a foul. And the trainer's probably going to be making an appearance on the field after the play ends.

But, as Reffing Rev described it, that doesn't seem to be the case, especially when the "injured" player gets up and starts celebrating and chest-bumping without being attended to by medical personnel.

Moral of the story, kids... if you're going to fake an injury to help your team score a touchdown or two-point conversion, you need to at least fake the injury long enough to be attended to by the trainer after the play ends.