The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 28, 2015, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Ending of Ohio/Minnesota

College Football Week 4 Wrap: Quack in the Armor « (see "Delay of Something Something" section)
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 08:25am
Official & ***** Member

(smh)
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Unbelievable!!
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
College Football Week 4 Wrap: Quack in the Armor « (see "Delay of Something Something" section)
For those not interested in searching through the entire week's recap:
Trailing 27-24 at Minnesota with seven seconds to play, Ohio lined up to attempt a 53-yard field goal to tie. As is custom, Gophers coaches called a timeout just prior to the decisive kick in an attempt to ice Bobcats kicker Josiah Yazdani, who — as is also the custom — nonchalantly followed through with a warm-up kick. But wait!
Yes: In the seconds immediately following a pointless timeout by Minnesota, called with the express purpose to delay the end of the game, an intrepid official called a delay-of-game flag on Ohio because of Yazdani’s unsanctioned kick. Now faced with a 58-yard attempt following the penalty, the Bobcats opted to scrap the field goal altogether and throw up a Hail Mary instead, which fell predictably incomplete. Gophers win, and Ohio coach Frank Solich is left to wonder what the hell just happened:
“The thing that bothers me on that type of play,” Solich said. “Is that the ball gets snapped, so apparently the center doesn’t hear the whistle, either. But somehow you’re expecting the kicker to hear it when he’s concentrating on the snap. The crowd is very, very loud. He’s following through to what, he thinks, is maybe the game-winning kick.”
... [NCAA rules for delay of game snippet]...
Was Yazdani’s kick “deliberately advancing the ball after it is dead”? Was it “clearly designed to delay officials,” even though the officials had just stopped the play in order to delay it? Is there any existing precedent or plausible justification whatsoever for that flag to have been thrown in that situation? I could go on, but before I get flagged for delay of column, I’ll just answer: Nope.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Pure Male Bovine Excrement!!!

Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
For those not interested in searching through the entire week's recap:
Trailing 27-24 at Minnesota with seven seconds to play, Ohio lined up to attempt a 53-yard field goal to tie. As is custom, Gophers coaches called a timeout just prior to the decisive kick in an attempt to ice Bobcats kicker Josiah Yazdani, who — as is also the custom — nonchalantly followed through with a warm-up kick. But wait!
Yes: In the seconds immediately following a pointless timeout by Minnesota, called with the express purpose to delay the end of the game, an intrepid official called a delay-of-game flag on Ohio because of Yazdani’s unsanctioned kick. Now faced with a 58-yard attempt following the penalty, the Bobcats opted to scrap the field goal altogether and throw up a Hail Mary instead, which fell predictably incomplete. Gophers win, and Ohio coach Frank Solich is left to wonder what the hell just happened:
“The thing that bothers me on that type of play,” Solich said. “Is that the ball gets snapped, so apparently the center doesn’t hear the whistle, either. But somehow you’re expecting the kicker to hear it when he’s concentrating on the snap. The crowd is very, very loud. He’s following through to what, he thinks, is maybe the game-winning kick.”
... [NCAA rules for delay of game snippet]...
Was Yazdani’s kick “deliberately advancing the ball after it is dead”? Was it “clearly designed to delay officials,” even though the officials had just stopped the play in order to delay it? Is there any existing precedent or plausible justification whatsoever for that flag to have been thrown in that situation? I could go on, but before I get flagged for delay of column, I’ll just answer: Nope.
From what I was told by someone who actually saw the game on TV, there was a noticeable delay between the whistle and the snap of the ball, so this was not the typical last second timeout where the offense can't stop a play about to start. The offense started the play after the play was whistled dead. Allegedly, anyway. IDK if this matters to the ruling. It is also not shown in the gif-clip attached to the article, since by the actions of the crew, apparently the whistle has already blown.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Usually if something is pretty controversial, the recap likes to bring it up. All the recaps I saw were from Big10 Network, who had broadcast rights to the game. They didn't mention anything about the penalty. Just went to the hail mary play.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2015, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Here's an article that shows a little more pre-snap.

Football: Bobcats fall in final seconds to Minnesota – Speakeasy Magazine