The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 18, 2015, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Foul on the try

PAT at B-3. Running Play in for a score but A88 is guilty of holding in the end zone outside the right hash.

Retry the PAT from B's 10 yardline, but is it right hash because of the foul or can A choose any spot between the hashes when the down is replayed?
Old Sat Sep 19, 2015, 12:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
PAT at B-3. Running Play in for a score but A88 is guilty of holding in the end zone outside the right hash.

Retry the PAT from B's 10 yardline, but is it right hash because of the foul or can A choose any spot between the hashes when the down is replayed?
Look at 4-3-7.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2015, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Look at 4-3-7.
Rich, no offense but you just exemplified what is wrong with the attitudes in forums. I can quote a bunch of numbers too, something in a 10-some thing something...because that would imply a different answer. How about we try to help each other and better our avocation than simply throw numbers out there.

I looked it up before I asked!

Thank you!
Old Sat Sep 19, 2015, 10:48am
Chain of Fools

In defense of Rich, not that he needs me, but too many post "Quote me the rule". Giving the rule number helps everyone get in the book and look it up. They come off sounding lazy.

Perhaps you could have elaborated more on the fact that you already had and still have a question or are looking for comment.

I think we all begin to get a little short on specifics sometimes in the interests of brevity.
Old Sat Sep 19, 2015, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Look at 4-3-7.
May I ask, from the perspective of someone who has moved three times in five years, and who had half his HHG lost by TMO during the second of those PCS's, can you summarize 4-3-7 and describe how it affects the ruling?
Old Mon Sep 21, 2015, 08:03am
Official & ***** Member

"When a team may designate the spot along the proper yard line
from which the ball is to be put in play, it shall have the same privilege if the down is to be replayed or a dead-ball foul occurs."
Old Mon Sep 21, 2015, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

You see here is what happened. Up until 2 years ago I believed and had enforced it that way. Then at a clinic this play occurred and I did what I always did, they can choose the location for the snap. The lead clinician for R's who is a very respected official, told me that was incorrect, that if the foul was by B or was offsetting or someother replay then yes, but that if A fouled it locked the re-try to the spot of the foul or end of the run.

Then a year later a different clinician at the same clinic said almost the same thing in a classroom discussion.

Hadn't had this play come up since that clinic 2 years ago until Friday night. Team went for 2, scored, foul, replay, opted to kick, discussion about whether they could re-spot the ball, I went with clinic experience, and said, no, the foul locked it in. Kick was just enough off that the re-spot would have made it successful. Thankfully team A ended up winning the game, but I went back and I feel like the book tells me one thing but some high-priced and high-prized clinicians are telling me differently.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2015, 01:48pm
Official & ***** Member

Your play is EXACTLY why the re-spot is allowed. Team A has already screwed themselves by fouling.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2015, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
"When a team may designate the spot along the proper yard line
from which the ball is to be put in play, it shall have the same privilege if the down is to be replayed or a dead-ball foul occurs."
Thanks, and seeing the example in the succeeding comments explains the logic quite nicely.