The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Northside ISD investigating incident with official, Jay players (Video)

Northside ISD investigating incident with official, Jay players - San Antonio Express-News

Quote:
Northside ISD and the University Interscholastic League are looking into a play in which two Jay football players barreled into a referee during Friday night’s game against Marble Falls.

Late in Jay’s 15-9 loss at Marble Falls, one defensive back ran from 7 yards away into the back of an official watching a run play unfold 9 yards in front of him.

After the referee’s fell to the turf after the first hit, another player standing to the right of the referee and several yards away led with his helmet and dove into the official.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

That is assault. Hopefully the U will press charges and those two never play another game in high school.

No way I am continuing a game, in any sport, if this happens to someone on my crew. Suspend it, get the hell out of there, and let the state deal with it.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 10:19am
Chain of Fools

I understand your frustration SC but unfortunately, if we are working our position effectively , we may not be able to ascertain in that moment what has just happened.

I had a game 2-3 years ago where a pursuing, yet out of the play LB, pushed the umpire down. In the moment, all we knew was our U was down but it wasn't until I looked at the video days later that I felt it was an intentional act.

Texas administrators should ban them from further athletic participation, ever. If they are not removed, if I were Texas officials, their games would not be worked.

Last edited by HLin NC; Sun Sep 06, 2015 at 10:22am.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 10:23am
Do not give a damn!!

If they are not ejected from the game, I am filing charges and even civil charges when I see this video. It is that simple. And I hope the action with the state organization will be severe and permanent. End of story.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Per ESPN, the secretary of the Austin Football Officials Association has come out and said, "The first thing we want is that those two kids never play football again."

I am confident that the UIL will see to it that these two players do not participate in another athletic event for the rest of their high school tenures.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I understand your frustration SC but unfortunately, if we are working our position effectively , we may not be able to ascertain in that moment what has just happened.

I had a game 2-3 years ago where a pursuing, yet out of the play LB, pushed the umpire down. In the moment, all we knew was our U was down but it wasn't until I looked at the video days later that I felt it was an intentional act.

Texas administrators should ban them from further athletic participation, ever. If they are not removed, if I were Texas officials, their games would not be worked.
I would agree with what you say in many instances. However this incident goes above and beyond what I have ever seen, and likely what anyone on that crew has ever seen. The first hit on the official could be chalked up to a single out of control player. The second hit (which would be targeting if on another player), would be the reason this game would be ended immediately at that point. All I would need as a referee is to have the U come tell me what happened, even if I didn't see it personally and game over.

As for the penalty these players should get. I don't think the U needs to ask that charges be filed with video evidence of assault and battery all over the internet. Those players should be charged. I rarely advocate criminal charges for something occurring in a sporting event, but this was SO FAR above any action related to the game of football that the criminal charges are warranted.

Also, these players need to be suspended for the rest of the school year from any athletic participation by the state association, and they should be expelled by the school district. Many states have a law that states that any student who physically assaults a school employee, or a person working under a contract with the school system SHALL be expelled. Michigan requires 180 day expulsion from school, I know that (It doesn't get enforced as evidence by Jayru Campbell last year being allowed to return, and promptly getting arrested for domestic assault his first day back).
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/6/92...ficial-referee

Quote:
Players and students from John Jay have tweeted that the hit came after racial slurs were used by the targeted official.
The alleged reason for the hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If they are not ejected from the game, I am filing charges and even civil charges when I see this video. It is that simple. And I hope the action with the state organization will be severe and permanent. End of story.

Peace
Both players were ejected from the game
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Of course an alleged racial slur is the justification used. One problem: the assault is on video, the alleged slur is not. Another problem: being offended by something someone said isn't a license to attack that person.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Possible law that would be applicable:

PENAL CODE

TITLE 5. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON

CHAPTER 22. ASSAULTIVE OFFENSES

Quote:
Sec. 22.01. ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causes bodily injury to another, including the person's spouse;

(2) intentionally or knowingly threatens another with imminent bodily injury, including the person's spouse; or

(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.

(c) An offense under Subsection (a)(2) or (3) is a Class C misdemeanor, except that the offense is:

(2) a Class B misdemeanor if the offense is committed by a person who is not a sports participant against a person the actor knows is a sports participant either:

(A) while the participant is performing duties or responsibilities in the participant's capacity as a sports participant; or

(B) in retaliation for or on account of the participant's performance of a duty or responsibility within the participant's capacity as a sports participant.

(e) In this section:

(4) "Sports participant" means a person who participates in any official capacity with respect to an interscholastic, intercollegiate, or other organized amateur or professional athletic competition and includes an athlete, referee, umpire, linesman, coach, instructor, administrator, or staff member.

Old Mon Sep 07, 2015, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

There shouldn't be much to investigate here.
Old Mon Sep 07, 2015, 07:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Of course an alleged racial slur is the justification used. One problem: the assault is on video, the alleged slur is not. Another problem: being offended by something someone said isn't a license to attack that person.
I do not care what he said, there is a way to handle that situation. We had an official use a term in our area and players did not act that way, it was reported and then an investigation. And often those are he said, he said situations anyway unless someone independent can corroborate the information. But if you report the incident, then you might find out this official had a previous problem or incident. Heck if I did something like this every time someone said something directly offensive to me, I would be fighting every day. There is a process and kids need to know how to handle those situations, because I can guarantee to them this will not be the last time. And now they probably lost their playing careers over this silliness. If they haven't lost them, they should.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 08, 2015, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

This should be the quickest investigation in the history of the Northside ISD and UIL and should result in the immediate suspension from interscholastic competition of these players for whatever eligibility they have remaining.I will add to APG's legal research by adding the maximum sentence for a class B misdemeanor in Texas:
A.Up to 180 days in jail
B.Maximum $2000 fine
C.Both

Mike Pereira in a video is calling for cancellation of the entire team's season and if that's the route that is chosen good luck trying to defend it in court because inevitably some parent will sue saying why should my child suffer for the actions of these two? My questions is for all of you who work football would you officiate this team if no substantial action is taken against them by the state?
https://www.facebook.com/FOXSportsSo...94624/?fref=nf
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Tue Sep 08, 2015, 09:49am
Do not give a damn!!

I would have absolutely no problem with them canceling the entire season. The only problem is that would only apply if this was a coaching staff issue, meaning they instructed this or if other players than these two were involved. If it is only these two players, I am fine with them being removed from the team and even being expelled from school. But I think this is also why there is an investigation. I do not think the investigation is trying to figure out if these players are guilty of something. I think they are trying to figure out how high this went and if others should be held responsible. And it also might be an issue of liability, as if the coaches are involved, this has wider ramifications. I doubt seriously these kids are on the team anymore. But you do not want to announce everything until you have more evidence as to who and how this happen in total. Because the official even has a right to go after the school legally if he feels this was about the school and coaching staff. I am sure the school has lawyers that are advising them in this matter as well. I am going to wait and see what is announced before I start going crazy about what I think has happened.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 08, 2015, 09:54am
TODO: creative title here

IF it's determined that the coaching staff had any knowledge that this was going to take place and/or told the players to do it... I would never work a game for those coaches ever again; at that school or at any other school.

Of course, right now there's no evidence that the coaches were involved (or not involved) directly or indirectly. So we'll have to see how the investigation plays out.
Old Tue Sep 08, 2015, 10:16am
Chain of Fools

This story is hitting all the national outlets now. I've seen references on ESPN, local network news, and MSNBC just this morning.