The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 08, 2015, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
IF it's determined that the coaching staff had any knowledge that this was going to take place and/or told the players to do it... I would never work a game for those coaches ever again; at that school or at any other school.

Of course, right now there's no evidence that the coaches were involved (or not involved) directly or indirectly. So we'll have to see how the investigation plays out.
If the coaching staff had any involvement, not only should they be fired, but they should be charged with conspiracy to commit.
Old Tue Sep 08, 2015, 12:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Four players ejected in one game, including two for assaulting an official, there's no way I won't believe there's not a major coaching issue with that school.

I may be slightly heavy handed but if I were in charge around there, I'd be looking to clean house with a big broom.
Old Tue Sep 08, 2015, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

No different than it'd be if a teacher had students slug a visiting district administrator in the hallway.
Old Tue Sep 08, 2015, 03:15pm
Official & ***** Member

Apparently, there was some coach involvement:

John Jay coach suspended, reportedly told players ref 'needs to pay' | More | Sporting News
Old Tue Sep 08, 2015, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

NASO Statement on Texas Incident

For Release September 8, 2015

In Marble Falls, Texas this past weekend, an officiating nightmare took place. It took place and nobody was sleeping. Fortunately someone was videotaping the game. Without any room for equivocation, that video shows two players from John Jay High School in San Antonio purposely and with malice physically assaulted back judge, Robert Watts during the final moments of the game. He was viciously and without warning knocked to the ground by a Jay player and then, while prostrate on the turf, was helmet-speared by a fellow Jay teammate.

Robert is a long-time member of the National Association of Sports Officials. That fact energizes us to take a stand on his behalf. But, make no mistake, had Robert not been a member of NASO, we would be taking to the ramparts in his defense and in that of all men, women and young people who officiate our games.

What occurred that night on that field is unacceptable and we in the officiating community will not accept it. NASO has taken steps to ensure that Robert is provided the full benefits of NASO insurance, legal and consultation services. Whatever course of action he intends to take in order to have his assault properly redressed, NASO will stand in support of him.

NASO president, Barry Mano, has been a frequent and often quoted media interview about this horror. He has presented NASO’s firm belief, backed unanimously by the NASO board of directors, that commensurate consequences must result from this act, wherever they may lead. Certainly calling to account the two players will be just a starting point. An investigation by the proper authorities and jurisdictions is underway now. The facts and the broader truths will be of interest to all of us in the officiating world.

NASO works in partnership with the Texas Association of Sports Officials (TASO) and the University Interscholastic League (UIL) in a number of officiating programs. The three organizations embrace the belief that assaultive behavior against sports officials will not be tolerated nor accepted at any level.

*Hopefully this incident will cause state legislators to seriously think about upgrading assault on a sports official to a felony.Texas Class B misdemeanors are punishable by up to 6 months in jail and/or $2000 in fines maximum.People ask us why there are a shortage of officials nationwide? This incident serves as notice why.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Wed Sep 09, 2015, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Possible law that would be applicable:

PENAL CODE

TITLE 5. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PERSON

CHAPTER 22. ASSAULTIVE OFFENSES
Unfortunately, the law against abusive of a sports participant is not applicable to this case.

The key part of the law, which I disagree with is:

a Class B misdemeanor if the offense is committed by a person who is not a sports participant the actors in this case were sports participants, therefore the law does not apply.

I disagree with the wording of the law in light of previous attacks by participants against officials (Michigan soccer ref killing). The penalty should apply to any non-participant who commits and act clearly outside the scope and context of the game.

A chop block against an opponent is an act while illegal under the rules of the sport, would not constitute an act completely outside the scope of the game.

Running into the back of, then spearing an official is an act that should be considered outside the scope of the game.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2015, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
If the coaching staff had any involvement, not only should they be fired, but they should be charged with conspiracy to commit.
Completely agree.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2015, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
This should be the quickest investigation in the history of the Northside ISD and UIL and should result in the immediate suspension from interscholastic competition of these players for whatever eligibility they have remaining.I will add to APG's legal research by adding the maximum sentence for a class B misdemeanor in Texas:
A.Up to 180 days in jail
B.Maximum $2000 fine
C.Both

Mike Pereira in a video is calling for cancellation of the entire team's season and if that's the route that is chosen good luck trying to defend it in court because inevitably some parent will sue saying why should my child suffer for the actions of these two? My questions is for all of you who work football would you officiate this team if no substantial action is taken against them by the state?
https://www.facebook.com/FOXSportsSo...94624/?fref=nf
I disagree with cancelling the entire season. Even if the coaches told the players to go out and "make the ref pay". Cancelling the entire season does not just penalize the players involved (who should never play again), but also penalizes every single player on the team who was not involved in the acts, the coaches who were not involved, and the school community that was not involved. All of those involved both directly and indirectly should be suspended permanently from all participation in high school athletes.

There is one other group that gets penalized if the school is forced to cancel the season. Every single team who was supposed to play John Jay High School would be left without an opponent to play. That means one less opportunity to participate during the season because of nothing they did.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2015, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Rest assured that part of the law will be looked at by the state legislature.Regular assault is still a possibility-these kids cannot get off without some sort of criminal prosecution.If that were to happen that school would go on my block list for football immediately.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2015, 12:15pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Rest assured that part of the law will be looked at by the state legislature.Regular assault is still a possibility-these kids cannot get off without some sort of criminal prosecution.If that were to happen that school would go on my block list for football immediately.
I'm not sure I'd hold the school responsible if the DA decides not to press charges, it's not the school's fault in that situation.

If the school doesn't bar these two from any further athletic participation, however, then they'd go onto my block list for ALL sports, not just football. That would be a sign that the school administration doesn't support the officials hired to work their games.
h
Old Wed Sep 09, 2015, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
If the school doesn't bar these two from any further athletic participation, however, then they'd go onto my block list for ALL sports, not just football. That would be a sign that the school administration doesn't support the officials hired to work their games.
h
If I was the assigner for that school, I wouldn't give them officials.
Old Wed Sep 09, 2015, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

SC-in any sport or just football? how long? until the department as a whole takes the NFHS sportsmanship course? until that football staff is fired?
Old Wed Sep 09, 2015, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

jTheUmp-I can appreciate that viewpoint.However think about it this way,if charges are not filed then the DA refuses to protect sports officials in that jurisdiction? admittedly the odds of charges not being filed are very low-I believe in one of the reports it said a Soph and Senior were involved.For the Soph it's not only an issue of will charges get filed but at which level (Juvenile or Adult court). In Texas adult court charges should be proffered against the senior unless he is under the age of 17 (definition of Adult in Texas).
Old Wed Sep 09, 2015, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SC-in any sport or just football? how long? until the department as a whole takes the NFHS sportsmanship course? until that football staff is fired?
Until the school bans them from all sports, which I believe they'll do. Sorry, but I wouldn't send an official to a school that doesn't show that it's willing to take a strong stance against crap like this. This isn't in our job description and obviously we're not paid enough to put up with this. Chances are, if the punishments aren't severe enough, you would have a significant number of officials who would refuse to work that school anymore. There's a human element to what we do.

All that to say, I believe the school district and the UIL will come down hard. If they don't, TASO could simply refuse to give that school officials.
Old Thu Sep 10, 2015, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

The coach is responsible for this, judging from what evidence we have.

Canceling the team's season is not enough. That coach needs to be locked up in jail.