LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 24, 2015, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

The hearing on those two players and coach is being streamed live
WATCH LIVE: UIL hearing on Jay players
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Thu Sep 24, 2015, 11:45am
Archaic Power Monger

I didn't catch who from the UIL was speaking but it sounds like at least one of them in the hearing are defaulting to believing the claims of the players about racial slurs being made.

The impression I get is they are looking to pin anything they can on the officials. Typical UIL response.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2015, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Welpe-the audio quality is so poor on the UIL side that even on full audio I can barely hear them
Old Thu Sep 24, 2015, 11:56am
Archaic Power Monger

It is, I can't believe they don't have them all mic'd as well. I can hear them ok by shoving my earphones into my head but I'm not catching every word. I am hearing enough though.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2015, 11:57am
Archaic Power Monger

The players didn't even attend the hearing. "They couldn't make it."

Probably under advice of their lawyers pending a criminal investigation.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2015, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

that's probably good advice by the attorney as any statement given at this hearing I believe is admissible in a court of law.I'm shocked too that the UIL didn't mic the panel especially knowing this hearing would be open to the media.There are microphones on the table but the gain on them isn't turned up very high.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2015, 12:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

And the final wrap up was essentially:

To the school and head coach - we know this isn't your culture and we understand. Thank you.

To TASO - You did a thorough job. Now go investigate some more before you report back to us.

Watching this did no favors to my blood pressure today.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2015, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

exactly-we really didn't learn anything new here and I was expecting a verdict on potential UIL sanctions against John Jay.I would hope assignors consider pulling their crews from John Jay home contests until either the prosecutor's office acts and/or the UIL levies sanctions.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2015, 08:09am
Official & ***** Member

Apparently the opposing HC said that none of his players reported hearing any racial slurs.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2015, 08:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Apparently the opposing HC said that none of his players reported hearing any racial slurs.
What I find funny, is the racial slur they claimed the officials said, was not directed at them. I have heard no other players come up and say he said this or they heard him say this.

Then where are the parents? No parents are standing up for their children and saying, "I think this is wrong?" And where is the HC of the program where his kids did this? Nothing from him? Nothing to suggest he did not advocate this? Nothing to say this is not acceptable behavior by the coach or the players? Nothing?

So many holes in this story on all sides it is funny.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 25, 2015, 02:31pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Another Update

Lawyer: Blindsided official not planning to appear at UIL hearing | USA Today High School Sports | USA Today High School Sports
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Ex-John Jay assistant admits saying ref 'needs to pay,' denies ordering players to make hit
14m
EmailComment
ESPN.com news services
ROUND ROCK, Texas -- Texas high school sports officials showed leniency Thursday after a former assistant football coach denied ordering two players to blindside a referee but acknowledged making comments that may have unintentionally instigated the hit.

In doling out final penalties for the Sept. 4 incident, the University Interscholastic League suspended former San Antonio John Jay assistant Mack Breed for the rest of the school year and placed him on two years' probation. Breed could have been suspended for up to three years, but UIL officials said his willingness to testify helped reduce the sanctions.

Breed said he wanted to "clear my name" and got choked up when defending himself.

Head coach Gary Gutierrez was given a public reprimand and two years' probation, and the two players involved were suspended from all sports or extracurricular activities for the rest of the academic year.

The suspension will end the high school career of 17-year-old senior Michael Moreno. The other student, 15-year-old sophomore Victor Rojas, must agree to speak with UIL officials about the incident before he can ever be reinstated.

Northside ISD Superintendent Dr. Brian Woods called the actions of the UIL "fair and appropriate."

"I continue to be saddened by the incident but know that the actions by a few do not represent the character of Jay High School or the Jay High School community," Woods said in a statement.

The hit on umpire Robert Watts came near the end of a heated game that included multiple unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and a player ejection. Video of the hit, which Watts has said caused a concussion, created a national stir when it was posted online.

The UIL held three public hearings on the incident, but Thursday was the first time it heard in-person testimony from either Breed or Watts, who had been accused of directing racial slurs toward players before he was hit.

Breed denied allegations that he ordered the players to smash Watts. He admitted using harsh profanity on the sideline and saying out loud that Watts should "pay the price," but insisted it was never meant as an order and wasn't directed to any players to take action.

"I never told any players to hit or take out" the umpire, Breed said. "I said a lot of things to my players to get them motivated because they were letting the officiating get the better of them."

But Breed also said he realized after the game his comments could have unintentionally instigated the hit. Breed said he resigned shortly afterward because he was told by school officials he would be fired.

"I feel like you can coach again in Texas," panel member James Colbert told Breed. "I feel like you are being honest. You also need to recognize ... your comments added to this powder keg."

Panel members said they were frustrated that the students have not spoken with them to give their version of events.

Watts, who previously submitted written testimony, appeared in person Thursday and again denied allegations by Jay players that he used racial slurs during the game.

"One hundred percent not true," Watts said. "I did not make any racial slurs toward anyone [and] can't speculate why they would make something like that up."

An investigation by the Texas Association of Sports Officials found the claims of racial slurs could not be confirmed. Watts said he is "not well" since the incident but declined to elaborate.

Gutierrez, the head coach, was placed on probation because panel members determined he didn't do enough to control the emotions on his sideline during a tense game and noted that his players deemed an attack on a game official to be OK.

Panel member Gil Garza said he was disturbed that one of the players who hit Watts stayed in the game.

The entire incident "was unacceptable, and it shouldn't happen. It's hard to defend," Garza said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2015, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What I find funny, is the racial slur they claimed the officials said, was not directed at them.
Correct. It was allegedly directed at another player who either didn't hear it, or did and did or said nothing about it. To this day, no one has filed a complaint with TASO as no one wants to put their name on something they know to be false.

I don't know anything for sure, but I'm betting that the official will retire and initiate a lawsuit against several parties involved here. Texas law on soverign immunity makes it tough to hold a school district liable, but there may be some causes of action available.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2015, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The entire incident "was unacceptable, and it shouldn't happen. It's hard to defend," Garza said.
Then stop trying to, Mr. Garza.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2015, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
Then stop trying to, Mr. Garza.
One thing I just can't get my head around, exactly where is the line that justifies (authorizes, excuses, tolerates) something (ANYTHING) that could possibly be said, that would allow the kind of deliberate, intentional ASSAULT shown on this video?