The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 03:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

2015-16 NCAA rule changes (Men's and Women's)

They officially approved new rules proposals, but I haven't seen an official list of what made the cut.

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/sta...277250/photo/1

Something I did read is no more time-out requests by coaches on the Men's side.

As far as the 10-second B/C count, read somewhere that there will be no reset on the Men's side only if the offense is granted a time-out, but on the Women's side that applies to the ball going OOB (assuming in addition to an offensive T-O).

Maybe our newest poster will come along with the scoop.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Surprised the no live-ball TO proposal passed on the men's side.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Info slowly coming in...

NCAAW approved 10-minute quarters.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

If it is just coaches not granting a timeout, that is a great change. Great change I tell you. Tired of looking to coaches for something they never did for years without much problem.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

And now for all of the NCAAW rules changes...

Women’s basketball moves to a four-quarter format | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel on Monday approved a package of proposals and areas of focus for officials in men’s basketball to improve the pace of play, better balance offense with defense and reduce the physicality in the sport.

The NCAA Men’s Basketball Committee made similar recommendations before the 2013-14 season, and it felt the changes improved the game. But after gaining some positive traction, the balance between offense and defense again tilted toward the defense last season. Scoring in Division I men’s basketball dipped to 67.6 points a game last season, which neared historic lows for the sport.

The key areas officials will focus on in the upcoming season are:
• Perimeter defense, particularly on the dribbler and strictly enforcing directives established before the 2013-14 season.
• Physicality in post play.
• Screening, particularly moving screens and requiring the screener to be stationary.
• Block/charge plays.
• Allowing greater freedom of movement for players without the ball.

Pace of play

With an eye on reducing inaction, the panel approved several proposals to improve the pace of play. The most significant is reducing the shot clock to 30 seconds. The shot clock was last reduced for the 1993-94 season when it went from 45 seconds to 35.

Teams will also have one fewer team timeout (only three can carry over instead of four) in the second half. Officials will focus more on resuming play quickly after a timeout and will issue a delay-of-game warning when a team does not comply and a one-shot technical foul on subsequent violations.

The rest of the package designed to improve the pace of play includes:
• Adjusting the media timeout procedures to allow a timeout called within 30 seconds of a break (at the 16:30 mark) or at any time after the scheduled media timeout becomes the media timeout.
• Removing the ability for a coach to call timeout when the ball is live.
• Allowing a total of only 10 seconds to advance the ball to the front court (with a few exceptions).
• Reducing the amount of time allotted to replace a disqualified player from 20 to 15 seconds.

Restricted-area arc

The panel also approved the expansion of the restricted-area arc from 3 feet to 4 feet. This arc would be effective in 2015-16 for Division I and 2016-17 for Divisions II and III. Moving the arc a foot farther from the basket is part of a continued focus on reducing the number of collisions at the basket.

Games in the 2015 Postseason NIT were played with the 4-foot arc on an experimental basis.

When compared to the 2013 NIT, which had the same block/charge standards as the 2015 event (aside from the 4-foot arc), the number of block/charge plays decreased from 2.77 per game to 1.96 per game.

Faking fouls

During the use of a video review to see if a possible flagrant foul occurred, the panel approved a rule that would allow officials to penalize players who fake fouls. The NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee felt that players trying to draw fouls by deception is a growing issue.

Other changes

Other proposals approved by the panel include:
• Allowing officials to use the monitor to review a potential shot clock violation on made field goals throughout the entire game.
• Making Class B technical fouls (hanging on the rim and delaying the resumption of play, for example) one-shot technical fouls. Previously, two shots were granted for these types of technical fouls.
• Eliminating the five-second closely guarded rule while dribbling the ball.
• Removing the prohibition on dunking in pregame warmups and at halftime.

Experimental rule

The panel also approved an experimental rule to allow players six personal fouls, instead of five, in the 2016 postseason tournaments other than the Division I Men’s Basketball Championship.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

• Eliminating the five-second closely guarded rule while dribbling the ball.

Well then.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If it is just coaches not granting a timeout, that is a great change. Great change I tell you. Tired of looking to coaches for something they never did for years without much problem.

Peace
As APG subtly pointed out, coaches will not be able to call live ball timeouts. The ball is dead after a made basket or free throw, so a coach can still call timeout here (and we better not miss it!).

But in general, I love the rule change. I shouldn't get accused of ignorance in a loud gym when I'm trying to focus on a play 60 feet from a coach who I couldn't hear even if he had a bull horn. Want a live ball timeout? Instill in your players your philosophy for when the appropriate time to call one is. Or get one of your player's attention to bring the request to my attention. Because I'm busy, d@mn it!
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 10:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Men's Link

NCAA changes shot clock to 30 seconds, makes other changes to game | NCAA.com

• Reducing the amount of time allotted to replace a disqualified player from 20 to 15 seconds.

Coaches will still milk it until we start issuing some T's. Now that Class B's are just 1 shot, we need to enforce it early in the season.

• Allowing a total of only 10 seconds to advance the ball to the front court (with a few exceptions).

Wish they would have listed the exceptions.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jun 08, 2015 at 10:27pm.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

• Allowing a total of only 10 seconds to advance the ball to the front court (with a few exceptions). Will be interested to see how the actual rule reads and its associated caseplays.
• Reducing the amount of time allotted to replace a disqualified player from 20 to 15 seconds. Wonder if this affects the other replacement intervals as well and when the first warning horn will be sounded.

Faking fouls

During the use of a video review to see if a possible flagrant foul occurred, the panel approved a rule that would allow officials to penalize players who fake fouls. The NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee felt that players trying to draw fouls by deception is a growing issue. So will the penalty be a Class A or Class B technical foul?

Other changes

• Eliminating the five-second closely guarded rule while dribbling the ball. Don't see many college officials have a count when the ball is being dribbled, anyway.
• Removing the prohibition on dunking in pregame warmups and at halftime. Really hope this trickles down to high school.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

"Removing the prohibition on dunking in pregame warmups and at halftime."

This is the one which stood out to me. Trying to get the spectators there early? Does the NCAA want to make attending a game more exciting for the fans by putting on a pregame dunk show?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
"Removing the prohibition on dunking in pregame warmups and at halftime."

This is the one which stood out to me. Trying to get the spectators there early? Does the NCAA want to make attending a game more exciting for the fans by putting on a pregame dunk show?
Why do I imagine myself laughing for days if someone shatters a backboard during the pregame warm-up?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2015, 11:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
As APG subtly pointed out, coaches will not be able to call live ball timeouts. The ball is dead after a made basket or free throw, so a coach can still call timeout here (and we better not miss it!).

But in general, I love the rule change. I shouldn't get accused of ignorance in a loud gym when I'm trying to focus on a play 60 feet from a coach who I couldn't hear even if he had a bull horn. Want a live ball timeout? Instill in your players your philosophy for when the appropriate time to call one is. Or get one of your player's attention to bring the request to my attention. Because I'm busy, d@mn it!
I realize what live ball means. I was wondering if they were using the term "live ball" to mean when the ball is actually only live or were there other exceptions to the rule. And coaches for years used to do just fine requesting timeouts through their players. Not sure why this would be a problem moving forward. It is probably the best rule change IMO. The rest of the other stuff is window dressing.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 12:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballref3966 View Post

• Removing the prohibition on dunking in pregame warmups and at halftime. Really hope this trickles down to high school.
You will love it until they break that damn rim or somebody gets hurt and it takes them 30 minutes to continue the game.

There was actually a kid that died trying to dunk in a summer game some years back from my area while playing in another state. I am hoping that this never changes at the HS level.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 09, 2015, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I realize what live ball means. I was wondering if they were using the term "live ball" to mean when the ball is actually only live or were there other exceptions to the rule. And coaches for years used to do just fine requesting timeouts through their players. Not sure why this would be a problem moving forward. It is probably the best rule change IMO. The rest of the other stuff is window dressing.

Peace
You may be right...that it could mean something a bit different than the technical meaning of live ball. As so many non-officials use the term, it often includes the time between a made basket and a throwin. Hopefully, it will actually be that....that the coach can only be granted a timeout when the ball is dead AND the clock is stopped (and not during the interval when it is stopped in the final minute after a made bucket).