The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 02, 2015, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Out of bounds and first to touch ball inbounds

A1 batted A2s missed shot from going out of bounds in the frontcourt. A1s momentum carried her out of bounds, A1 stepped back in bounds with both feet and was the first player to touch the ball.

Is this a violation?

I referenced 7.1.1
Old Tue Jun 02, 2015, 07:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nope. Totally legal. The only thing possibly illegal is if the player went out of bounds on purpose to gain some kind of advantage. This is not how you described your play.

Peace
Old Tue Jun 02, 2015, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Legal.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2015, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefLarry View Post
A1 batted A2s missed shot from going out of bounds in the frontcourt. A1s momentum carried her out of bounds, A1 stepped back in bounds with both feet and was the first player to touch the ball.

Is this a violation?

I referenced 7.1.1
7-1-1:
Quote:
ART. 1 . . . A player is out of bounds when he/she touches the floor, or any object other than a player/person, on or outside a boundary. For location of a player in the air, see 4-35.
This only tells us that A1 was OOB when they were touching OOB and A1 was inbounds when they stepped back in.

And note that one foot or both feet is irrelevant. If A1 is touching inbounds and not touching OOB, A1 is inbounds. It doesn't matter what part or how much of A1 is touching inbounds, just that A1 is not also touching out-of-bounds.

So, the question is only partially answered. Next, look at 9-3-1 and 9-3-2.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jun 02, 2015 at 11:53pm.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2015, 10:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I referenced 7.1.1
You referenced this to what end? Did you call the violation?
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for all of your replies. I did not call a violation but unfortunately my partner did.

I approached him immediately after he called it and asked him subtly why he blew the whistle. He explained confidently the scenario was illegal. I walked away and play resumed.I did not want to make a big deal of it, especially during the game. We discussed the play later. I showed him case play 7.1.1 but he was not at all convinced.He wrote "correct me" in an email and the challenge was on! We finally agreed on the scenario and I posted it. This post was to hopefully convince him the play was legal.

I was confident I was right because I posted a similar question here in 2010.

My partner has been very helpful to me over the years and I appreciate his help. I try to learn from my mistakes on the court.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

All of these case plays should make it clear that this action is legal.

7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the
floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns
inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles. RULING: Legal. A1 did not
leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and
momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back
onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and
did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
7.1.1 SITUATION C: A1 blocks a pass near the sideline and the ball goes into
A1’s front court. A1’s momentum carries him/her out of bounds. He/she immediately
returns inbounds, secures control of the ball, dribbles, shoots, and scores.
RULING: Legal. (4-35-1a; 7-1-2; 9-3)
7.1.1 SITUATION D: A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a
boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court.
A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning
inbounds; (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up
the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble. RULING: Legal in
(a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes
the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after picking up the ball is
an illegal dribble violation. (4-15-5; 4-15-6d; 4-35; 9-5)
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for all of your replies. I did not call a violation but unfortunately my partner did.

I approached him immediately after he called it and asked him subtly why he blew the whistle. He explained confidently the scenario was illegal. I walked away and play resumed.I did not want to make a big deal of it, especially during the game. We discussed the play later. I showed him case play 7.1.1 but he was not at all convinced.He wrote "correct me" in an email and the challenge was on! We finally agreed on the scenario and I posted it. This post was to hopefully convince him the play was legal.

I was confident I was right because I posted a similar question here in 2010.

My partner has been very helpful to me over the years and I appreciate his help. I try to learn from my mistakes on the court.
All too many people make the mistake your partner made.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He wrote "correct me" in an email and the challenge was on!.
Maybe he would know the rules better if he looked in the book himself rather than making you do all the work.

It's amazing how much you can learn if you actually open the book!
Old Wed Jun 17, 2015, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
All of these case plays should make it clear that this action is legal.

7.1.1 SITUATION B: A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the
floor inbounds, but A1, who is off balance, steps off the court. A1 returns
inbounds, secures control of the ball and dribbles. RULING: Legal. A1 did not
leave the court voluntarily and did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and
momentum carries A1 off the court. If the try is unsuccessful, A1 may come back
onto the court and regain control since A1 did not leave the court voluntarily and
did not have control of the ball when he/she did.
7.1.1 SITUATION C: A1 blocks a pass near the sideline and the ball goes into
A1’s front court. A1’s momentum carries him/her out of bounds. He/she immediately
returns inbounds, secures control of the ball, dribbles, shoots, and scores.
RULING: Legal. (4-35-1a; 7-1-2; 9-3)
7.1.1 SITUATION D: A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a
boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court.
A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning
inbounds; (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up
the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble. RULING: Legal in
(a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the controlled toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes
the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after picking up the ball is
an illegal dribble violation. (4-15-5; 4-15-6d; 4-35; 9-5)
what about situation where:
A1 dribbles near the side of the court, loses the ball going out of bounds, jumps from inbound to save the ball (a: hand doesn't go below the center of the ball to be treated as carry; b:carry/hold/grabs the ball) & tosses it back inbound , gets inbound & touches the ball?

under (a) it would be legal and A1 allowed to continue the dribble, or hold the ball.

under (b) it would be illegal as it would contribute to self pass/double dribble since A1 ended his dribble when he carry/hold/grabbed the ball while trying to save the ball.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2015, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
under (b) it would be illegal as it would contribute to self pass/double dribble ...
Lose "self pass" from your lexicon as quickly as possible.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2015, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Lose "self pass" from your lexicon as quickly as possible.
NBA stated:

"A player may not be the first to touch his own pass unless the ball touches his backboard, basket ring or another player"

so if the referee determines that the player was trying to pass, it can be treated as a violation on the above clause. whether or not the player actually started a dribble prior to ending the dribble while saving the ball is irrelevant as long as the throw is seen as a pass, and this situation is not uncommon when the supposingly receiver misses the pass & A1 goes to retrieve the ball and be the 1st person to touch it.
Old Thu Jun 18, 2015, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NBA stated:

"A player may not be the first to touch his own pass unless the ball touches his backboard, basket ring or another player"

so if the referee determines that the player was trying to pass, it can be treated as a violation on the above clause. whether or not the player actually started a dribble prior to ending the dribble while saving the ball is irrelevant as long as the throw is seen as a pass, and this situation is not uncommon when the supposingly receiver misses the pass & A1 goes to retrieve the ball and be the 1st person to touch it.
You're applying the NBA rule set...when the majority of discussions on this forum are plays involving NFHS or NCAA rules. If you wish to discuss situations under NBA rules, you need to state so explicitly in your post.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Jun 18, 2015, 07:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
NBA stated:

Do you officiate under NBA rules? Do you officiate at all?

Do you think the members of this forum are NBA officials?