Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
NFHS Officials Manual 3.3.2 PRIMARY COVERAGE AREAS (PCA):
B. 1. Officials are responsible for a five-second count iwithin their primary coverage area.
This is what I've been taught -- I had never heard the "Lead doesn't do closely guarded counts" before. Since the Lead's primary extends out to just inside the 3 pt line, I would start a 5 second closely guarded count if applicable outside of the lane.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 12:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
3-person crew reference, with diagram 3-18.

2-person crew statement is the same, at 2.3.2 B. 1. with diagram 2-18, in the NFHS Officials Manual.

The logic of Trail being responsible for the 5-second count on post players on the strong side is reasonable.
But in our area it is rarely called, and rarely neccessary. I can't remember when it's been pre-gamed.
And it seems that many, especially coaches, have the idea that a 5-second count doesn't apply to post players. I've been asked by partners why I had a count, as Lead, in both 2-man and 3-man, because they didn't think it applied to post players.
And I had a coach, a couple of years ago, tell me "You can't make that call on a post player!"
The reason I asked is because my state does not use the NF Mechanics Manual anymore and has not for probably 10 years or so. And it is very much expressed that the Lead should never have a count in our mechanics. There is even a video example of this mechanic in our state.

And I think that the lead should concentrate on contact and not a count. And often that count would have started before the Lead could take a count IMO.

The Trail is already looking in the post for traveling and even some foul coverage. Let the Lead concentrate on all the bodies on coming to the ball, not worry about that and a count.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The reason I asked is because my state does not use the NF Mechanics Manual anymore and has not for probably 10 years or so. And it is very much expressed that the Lead should never have a count in our mechanics. There is even a video example of this mechanic in our state.

And I think that the lead should concentrate on contact and not a count. And often that count would have started before the Lead could take a count IMO.

The Trail is already looking in the post for traveling and even some foul coverage. Let the Lead concentrate on all the bodies on coming to the ball, not worry about that and a count.

Peace
I agree with all of this and have done this in all states/associations I have worked. In 3-man, the lead never gets the closely guarded count. The trail official should be engaging the play, getting backside illegal contact, traveling, and the closely guarded count. As JRut said, the lead should be focused on contact.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Very reasonable, and I think this is a better way to cover post play, especially when there are bigs tht are the focus of their offenses.
Of course,a good pre-game could allow partners to adopt this.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 01:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

My answer was the book answer.

YMMV, locally, but I count as the L in 3-person if the count starts in my primary.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My answer was the book answer.

YMMV, locally, but I count as the L in 3-person if the count starts in my primary.
That is my customary method, also.