View Single Post
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
...compared to how my assignor wants games at my level officiated, are so far apart they are not even in the same galaxy.
i would venture to say that the player's skill is not in the same galaxy either...I have officiated some of these guys. They are bigger, faster, stronger... They can play through things... The league has some very good videos on their website about Ilegal screens.

When you look at illegal screens, I believe this is one of the areas that requires the most judgment on the floor. What advantage or disadvantage was caused, was the official officiating the defense... Etc. When I officiate I look at screens as legal, marginal, or illegal. The ones you have to pay attention to the most are the marginal ones. The marginal ones are the ones that are not completely legal but don't cause one player or another to get an advantage or be placed at a disadvantage. My bet the 50 or so illegal screens you see would fall into my marginal category. I call as many or more illegal screens as anyone but I also can articulate to a coach why I let the ones go I do...

If there really are 50 illegal screens that's a lot of whistles... And delays...even in a high school game we don't call every foul or violation.