The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Where do they come uo with these...

I am often amusued at the "rules" coaches (and others) try to argue. Had this one yesterday in a tournament.

I call a free throw violation on B1 for crossing the three point arch before the ball hits the rim. Coach tells me its not a violation because he had not passed the free throw line until after the ball hit the rim. In his mind, the playercould leave on release as long as he did not make it past the free throw line extended before the ball hit the rim.

Another one of my favorites is the coach who argued with me that her player should get a third free throw because the defense violated even though the player made the free throw. "But that doesn't matter. They had a violation so we get another shot."

I also enjoyed the two coaches this weekend who constantly asked me "who did he foul" (duh, the shooter that's why we're shooting free throws now) and "who traveled" as if the answer would be something different than the player who had the ball. The worst part is that these were serious questions and not a coach trying to slyly complain.

No wonder they look at us like we are crazy when we blow the whistle. They're rule book is apparently different han ours.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 06:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

About 10 years ago, I was working a MS holiday tournament and about midway through Q4 in a fairly close game, my partner called a flagrant foul on A1. It was his 5th foul. As my partner went over towards the table to report it, Coach B came over and said that since A1's fifth foul was flagrant, not only was he out of the game but he couldn't be replaced and team A would have to finish the game with four players.

My partner was rather new and came over to me for some help. I told him there was no such rule and that Coach B was either joking or he was just plain wrong. My partner went back and asked Coach B if he was joking! Coach B said he wasn't and that he was positive it was the rule.

I heard the whole thing and went over to the table. I used one of my favorite lines with the coach and told him that we could look this up. I said I had a rule book in my bag under the scorer's table and that if he was right, I'd give him $5, but if I was right, he had to go out into the parking lot and wash my car. I then put my hand out for a shake. He just stared at me, then turned around and walked away.

I have no idea how that coach got that idea into his head. I've never heard anything like it either before or after that game.
Old Sun May 10, 2015, 08:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is not a different rulebook, they just do not know what one looks like.

Peace
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 01:10am
AremRed

Had an AAU tournament game today where one team jumped out to a 9-0 lead in the first minute after some turnovers by the losing team. The losing coach yelled at me "is handchecking allowed in this league?" I paused for a second and yelled back "that's a loaded question!"
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Classic coach thought is the "over the back".

C: He's going over the back thats a foul.
O: Over the back is not a call. Its only a foul if he's pushing.
C: But he's got him boxed out. He can't reach over him.
O: He can if there is no contact.
O: So whats the point in my kid boxing out.
R: Sounds like a coaching decision to me, not my area of expertise.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
As my partner went over towards the table to report it, Coach B came over and said that since A1's fifth foul was flagrant, not only was he out of the game but he couldn't be replaced and team A would have to finish the game with four players.. . . I have no idea how that coach got that idea into his head. I've never heard anything like it either before or after that game.
Maybe he's also a soccer coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Classic coach thought is the "over the back".

C: He's going over the back thats a foul.
O: Over the back is not a call. Its only a foul if he's pushing.
C: But he's got him boxed out. He can't reach over him.
O: He can if there is no contact.
O: So whats the point in my kid boxing out.
R: Sounds like a coaching decision to me, not my area of expertise.
As a coach and parent, this is one that drives me nuts. The number of low level (below HS) refs who report "over the back" as fouls is shocking. Fro some, it's jus sloppy language where a player went through the opponent, but some are convinced that the player behind can't get the ball -- no wonder parents, players, and coaches get that idea.
Old Mon May 11, 2015, 06:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
Maybe he's also a soccer coach.
Soccer? That's the game for kids who can't use their hands.
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 06:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Don't Say ...

Quote:
... refs who report "over the back" as fouls is shocking.
Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

"Over the back", reported by an official to the table on a rebounding foul, is, in reality, probably a pushing foul. Over the back is not necessarily a foul. There must be illegal contact to have a foul. A taller player may often be able to get a rebound over a shorter player, even if the shorter player has good rebounding position. If the shorter player is displaced, then a pushing foul must be called, and this should be reported to the table as such.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 06:50am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Fro some, it's jus sloppy language...
This made my day.
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Reach!

Last season, I had one coach who was constantly complaining the about the other team "reaching." I told him "no contact, no foul." Two possessions later, my partner calls it, even reporting it to the bench as a "reach." Arrgghh.

After the game, we talked. Partner says that the defense wasn't playing defense "with their feet."
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 10:37am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
I am often amusued at the "rules" coaches (and others) try to argue. Had this one yesterday in a tournament.

I call a free throw violation on B1 for crossing the three point arch before the ball hits the rim. Coach tells me its not a violation because he had not passed the free throw line until after the ball hit the rim. In his mind, the playercould leave on release as long as he did not make it past the free throw line extended before the ball hit the rim.

I believe this is the NBA rule or close to it. So that is probably where he got that idea. The others?
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP View Post
Last season, I had one coach who was constantly complaining the about the other team "reaching." I told him "no contact, no foul." Two possessions later, my partner calls it, even reporting it to the bench as a "reach." Arrgghh.

After the game, we talked. Partner says that the defense wasn't playing defense "with their feet."
*Grrrrr!! hate it when my partner 'cow tows' to these type of calls. It makes me look like I'm too lenient when I do not make such calls (no effect on RSBQ, just defender with quick hands) and it causes the coaches and participants to develop the opinion that we are not "calling it the same on both ends" --which is their predicatable lament.
Whenever my partner ref(s) call 'reach', I pull them aside (during time out or half break or post game) and tell them that it is not a foul. Explaining to them that if you're calling "reaching in" when the that action does not affect RSBQ then you have "nothing" and furthermore, we are not calling the game in a consistent manner. In most cases, the partner responds with "that's what I've been calling for years". It will take a season or two for a ref to dis-embed such a staid mis-conception despite being shown the "light".

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Tue May 12, 2015 at 11:50am.
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 11:48am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
As a coach and parent, this is one that drives me nuts. The number of low level (below HS) refs who report "over the back" as fouls is shocking. Fro some, it's jus sloppy language where a player went through the opponent, but some are convinced that the player behind can't get the ball -- no wonder parents, players, and coaches get that idea.
Could be worse... I had an evaluator from the state observe one of my games last season. After the game he came into the locker room to talk to us, and one of his comments (to my partner) was that he missed an "over the back" foul.
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 11:50am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
*Grrrrr!! hate it when my partner 'cow tows' to these type of calls. It makes me look like I'm too lenient when I do not make such calls (no effect on RSBQ, just defender with quick hands righ?) and it makes the coaches and participants hold the opinion that we are not "calling it on both ends" which is their predicatable lament. Whenever my partner ref(s) do it, I pull them aside (during time out or half break or post game) and tell them that it is not a foul; explaining to them that if you're calling "reaching in" when the the action does not affect RSBQ then you have "nothing" and furthermore, we are not calling the game in a consistent manner.
I dunno man, yesterday I had a shitty girls game which developed into a string of held balls and elbows trying to clear space after rebounds. The next game my partner and I talked -- and we called a foul EVERY time the girls reached in, whether they got the ball or not. It took a few minutes but their coaches got the idea and they stopped reaching. I'm not saying reaching is a foul, but in an unskilled girls game like that it might as well be.
Old Tue May 12, 2015, 12:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWP View Post

I would have asked, "You realize if they steal it with their feet you have to call them for kicking, right?"