The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 28, 2015, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Break needed

Just wanted to post to everyone some thoughts and experiences I'm having.

I work a lot in the basketball community as a coach, official and on various boards of driectors for associations for sports.

Based on my last couple of years as an official it is time for me a take a break from the officiating part. Maybe my jack of all trades and master of none in this game doesn't give me proper perspective, or maybe its just the particular association that I deal with that doesn't match. Either way I'm taking a break from officiating maybe for a year or 2 maybe for good.

My experience on this site, and with most kids and coaches have all been positive reasons to stay in the game as an official but some ongoing issues between me and my association are making me feel like I need some time and space.

In a nut shell: In my professional life outside of officiating and as a coach or board member for any professional or athletic board on which I work current methodology, efficiency, effectiveness and what gets you the most value or return (bang for your buck) are the driving forces. Working within and with my association and some of its members often feels more like a liberal arts degree in that its more about what your argument and view is then change and improvement. Firstly we are a very small assocation only 10-15 officials dealing with 6ish high schools locally and all the club and feeder programs. So IME there is way too much crossover between personal relationships and proffessional ones. 2ndly after much debate for a number of years we agreed to start using more film to base discussions and evaluations. I'm mostly now tired of having tape, and rule book support changes that we need to make in how we officiate - that a number of my colleagues wont make. Despite what the evidence says and the rule book says they are still gonna call it how they think it should be called or how they see it. Which would be fine except there is no chance of not working with certain people or of the association letting people go because of our small numbers. So with no change on the horizon I need a break.

Thanks to everyone here who has helped me become a much better officials with your tips, guidance, clarifications and through healthy debate and dialogue. THanks! Keep up the good work. I'll stay around to keep my hand in it and enjoy the conversations.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Apr 28, 2015, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'm guessing there is no neighboring associations you can join? Here I have 4 or 5 local associations in the state I could join if I felt like it, plus one or two more the next state over all within an hour drive.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2015, 04:38pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
I'm guessing there is no neighboring associations you can join? Here I have 4 or 5 local associations in the state I could join if I felt like it, plus one or two more the next state over all within an hour drive.
Some have the option of defecting and joining a better association, as above.
Others have the benefit of numbers which affords them the opportunity to "divide in order to multiply", to start a new association.
The challenge confronting you isn't unique, though your relatively remote locale and lack of big numbers might validate the course you've chosen as the only option open to you.
Just don't close the door on returning later. Things change for the better sometimes. Be there if they do.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2015, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Burning The Candle At Both Ends ...

For over twenty-five years I tried to coach middle school basketball in the afternoon, and officiate high school basketball at night.

I did it because I loved coaching, and I loved officiating, and because, frankly, my family needed the money as we were expecting our three kids to eventually want to go to college.

I don't know why it took me over twenty-five years to figure out, but doing both, and being a middle school science teacher, and raising a family, was burning me out. Something had to go, and it was the coaching, and honestly, I don't miss it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 28, 2015, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with BillyMac. It's really hard to do both. The fact that you've chosen to focus on one, with some personal sacrifice, is noteworthy. You will have some fortunate kids playing for you.

On a broader note, this is one of the reasons I feel assignors and commissioners should be independent and outside of board/association politics. Boards and associations are great when their focus is education and development. When money and assigning get involved, the equation changes.

Poker analogy (you know how I love those): ever notice how you play the game differently when your hard-earned money is involved as opposed to pretzels and oreos?

The impact of money on board integrity is an undeniable truth.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2015, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Make sure it's what you want and you won't regret later. Time is not on your side in this case. I'm at a point where it's harder and harder to keep up (2-man). Every year I get a year older but the kids stay the same age. I regret the few seasons I missed for various reasons and the time I really didn't put in as much effort as I should have. Last year was by far my most successful but age is catching up and for the first time for me, I couldn't finish physically and had to miss the last week and all post season. Only you can tell what is best, just make sure you won't regret it.
Old Mon May 04, 2015, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

hey Panther your mind is "telling" you to take a break due to the accumulated stress of working in so many capacities related to the hoop game. I pray you will return to the ref work with renewed vigor.