The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Proposed bill in Missouri to protect officials

Missouri legislature proposes bill to protect sports officials | KOMU.com | Columbia, MO |
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 09:12am
certified Hot Mom tester

The article doesn't say what the punishment is. I think the offending parent should have to provide a few hours of community service by officiating a game. Let the punishment fit the crime.
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 09:16am
This IS My Social Life

Will a Law Inhibit Outbursts of Passion?

For some reason a similar law which seems to be flying through the legislature in the state of Michigan isn't being supported by the state association. Following is from the state director's weekly blog from back in February, offered here for any interested:

Supporting Sports Officials
February 20, 2015
There recently has been some criticism that the MHSAA hasn’t “had the backs” of sports officials regarding a proposal for a new state law.

To make a difference of opinion about legislative strategy the litmus test of MHSAA support for officials is misguided at best and manipulative at worst.

Moreover, from the standpoint of coaches and spectators, the MHSAA is much too ready to support officials, even when officials misapply a game rule or misjudge a contest situation. That we always back officials, even when they are wrong, is a criticism that resonates with the public far more than the recent, rare criticism that we don’t have officials’ backs on a piece of legislation that we believe lacks merit.

Despite the hype and hope, there are two things the proposed legislation will not do:

First, additional legal sanctions will not dissuade someone who has momentarily lost his or her mind to pause and think, “Oh yeah, If I slug this person, there’s an extra penalty.” There is no evidence that such legislation works as a deterrent to emotional outbursts.

Second, putting such legislation on the books will not improve sportsmanship on the front lines. Such laws are empty words; improving sportsmanship is year-round, grassroots work of real substance.

Because our energies are invested in the ongoing work of improving sportsmanship in interscholastic athletics’ special niche in the world of sports, the MHSAA has been known nationwide for several decades as a high school association with great passion for good sportsmanship and innovative programs to improve sportsmanship.

This week alone we have thousands of students and others voluntarily watching videos promoting school spirit and good sportsmanship as the fourth annual “Battle of the Fans” concludes. This program, born in Michigan, is now spreading to our counterpart organizations across the US.

This week, and almost every week, we have staff traveling “anytime, anywhere” to deliver face-to-face education to groups of high school coaches who, more than anyone else, influence the behaviors of both players and spectators.

Through the years, we have promoted sportsmanship with audio and video and print promotions. We’ve conducted statewide, league and local sportsmanship summits as well as team captain and student leadership workshops. We have rewarded good sportsmanship, and penalized bad.

The MHSAA’s Constitution requires every member school to adopt a code of good sportsmanship for its athletes, coaches and spectators, an educational program to promote good sportsmanship, and a system of progressive discipline for failure to behave according to the code of good sportsmanship. A condition of MHSAA membership is to demonstrate that those requirements are being met.

Time and money spent on real solutions, not symbolism, is the MHSAA’s approach to creating and maintaining a higher level of sportsmanship. And it’s the best way for the MHSAA to demonstrate its ongoing support for contest officials.
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

The article is sloppy. It isn't a bill in the sense of a law, but a concurrent resolution.

Quote:
Now Therefore Be It Resolved that the members of the Missouri Senate, Ninety-eighth General Assembly, First Regular Session,
the House of Representatives concurring therein, hereby call on all school districts, little league programs, high school, college, and recreational
programs, along with law enforcement and prosecutors, to do all they can to put an end to the increased threats and assaults on sports officials
and to prosecute such criminal acts to the full extent of the law; and

Be It Further Resolved that the Secretary of the Missouri Senate be instructed to prepare properly inscribed copies of this resolution
for the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, the Department of Higher Education, the Attorney General, and the Department
of Public Safety.
All it does is urge others to enforce what already exists. (And a cynic migh say to make it look like the legislature is doing something.)

The actual text of the resolution is here:

http://www.senate.mo.gov/15info/pdf-...ntro/SCR17.pdf
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 09:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

Moreover, from the standpoint of coaches and spectators, the MHSAA is much too ready to support officials, even when officials misapply a game rule or misjudge a contest situation. That we always back officials, even when they are wrong, is a criticism that resonates with the public far more than the recent, rare criticism that we don’t have officials’ backs on a piece of legislation that we believe lacks merit....

Yes, even if an official misapplies a rule or has poor judgment on a play, the MHSAA should be backing its officials against inappropriate, uncivil, or illegal activity by coaches, players, or spectators.

Does not inspire much confidence on the officials' part that now the state governing body thinks a "bad call" is justification not to back its officials.

Quote:
...First, additional legal sanctions will not dissuade someone who has momentarily lost his or her mind to pause and think, “Oh yeah, If I slug this person, there’s an extra penalty.” There is no evidence that such legislation works as a deterrent to emotional outbursts....
Is there evidence that it is not a deterrent?

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Apr 23, 2015 at 09:51am.
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 09:49am
High Five Master

in a perfect world,

this would be awesome! Some fool actually being made to answer for his actions, whether in the heat of competition or not? That would be amazing.

Now to the real world, where youth sports is driven by money and egos. This kind of thing will never be enforced bc tourn directors, state boards, etc are too afraid to permanently ban chronic offenders. We have all seen it too many times.

Sad really.
Old Thu Apr 23, 2015, 09:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Yes, even if an official misapplies a rule or has poor judgment on a play, the MHSAA should be backing its officials against inappropriate, uncivil, or illegal activity by coaches, players, or spectators.

Does not inspire much confidence on the officials' part that now the state governing body thinks a "bad call" is justification not to back its officials.
Agreed. They would have been better off saying, "We think a resolution is not worth our support as it does nothing."
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

If you ever find yourself having to defend yourself in "physical confrontation" with an overly-irate coach or fan do remember to protect yourself at all times if/when you are accosted by them. First thing you ought do is to remove your lanyard whistle from your neck so it cannot be used against you (i.e., strangulation, controlling your freedom of movement, reflexes,etc...). I have done this and it works for me--if nothing more than to convey to said confronting party that you are not backing down and are not a wuss. They usually back off when they see you do this action.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 11:30am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
If you ever find yourself having to defend yourself in "physical confrontation" with an overly-irate coach or fan do remember to protect yourself at all times if/when you are accosted by them. First thing you ought do is to remove your lanyard whistle from your neck so it cannot be used against you (i.e., strangulation, controlling your freedom of movement, reflexes,etc...). I have done this and it works for me--if nothing more than to convey to said confronting party that you are not backing down and are not a wuss. They usually back off when they see you do this action.
Or wear a breakaway lanyard. Or spit.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

No grown man would use "spitting" as a self-defense strategy.
Breakaway lanyard? Hmmm, could be an idea for "shark tank" tv.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 02:36pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
No grown man would use "spitting" as a self-defense strategy.
Breakaway lanyard? Hmmm, could be an idea for "shark tank" tv.
Uh, they already sell breakaway lanyards for this very application: Purchase Officials Supplies - Smitty Breakaway Lanards and http://bit.ly/1GgbqBB.

And "spitting" is slang for what a lot of NBA guys do; use a whistle with no lanyard. I'm sorry, I thought that was common parlance.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Uh, they already sell breakaway lanyards for this very application: Purchase Officials Supplies - Smitty Breakaway Lanards and http://bit.ly/1GgbqBB.

And "spitting" is slang for what a lot of NBA guys do; use a whistle with no lanyard. I'm sorry, I thought that was common parlance.
*OK, I saw that web picture, but I'll just use the one I have and take it off if need be.

lol @ "spitting", though probably a more esoteric use of the term.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2015, 05:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

If you read Earl Strom's book, he talks about taking off his belt and wrapping it around his hand in case he needed to hit someone on the way off the floor.
Old Sat Apr 25, 2015, 04:00am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you read Earl Strom's book, he talks about taking off his belt and wrapping it around his hand in case he needed to hit someone on the way off the floor.

My pants would fall down, ! Besides, who wears belted pants anymore?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Apr 25, 2015, 04:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Royal Proclamation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Who wears belted pants anymore?
Certainly no God-fearing IAABO members: Handbook of IAABO 2014-15 Page 2
IAABO Uniform: The approved official uniform established by the Executive Committee of IAABO shall be:
1) Long black pants (beltless, and not tapered)

Oh, I almost forgot. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Shut up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 25, 2015 at 04:54am.