The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Good point .. my case book writing needs some work

I have always heard to wait for the bucket before you stick a coach or I guess even a player so as not to take away the scoring opportunity.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 09:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
Too funny … although was it really pertinent? The official gave the T immediately on B while A was in the shooting motion.

As I said .. I know you would like to be able to wait til the hoop is scored. I guess it is now for me "wait until the shooting act has started"
Once A1 has started his shooting motion, nothing that is called against the defense can negate the made basket. So there is really no harm in whistling the T immediately.

What you are thinking about is a situation where Team A is still dribbling or passing during an uncontested fast break, and anyone on Team B does something to earn a Technical foul. In that case, you would let the play finish, then assess the T.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Once A1 has started his shooting motion, nothing that is called against the defense can negate the made basket. So there is really no harm in whistling the T immediately.

What you are thinking about is a situation where Team A is still dribbling or passing during an uncontested fast break, and anyone on Team B does something to earn a Technical foul. In that case, you would let the play finish, then assess the T.
Awesome .. thanks
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

2013-14 NFHS Case Book

10.4.1 SITUATION F: A1 is driving toward the basket for an apparent goal when the official, while trailing the play advancing in the direction in which the ball is being advanced, is cursed by the head coach or bench personnel of Team B. How should the official handle this situation?

RULING: The official shall withhold blowing the whistle until A1 has either made or missed the shot. The official shall then sound the whistle and assess the Team B coach or bench personnel with a technical foul.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
2013-14 NFHS Case Book

RULING: The official shall withhold blowing the whistle until A1 has either made or missed the shot. The official shall then sound the whistle and assess the Team B coach or bench personnel with a technical foul.
Is it fair to assume you would not allow the quick put back by A2 to score since the Ruling says "A1"? Or would you make some allowance for a quick rebound??
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96 View Post
Is it fair to assume you would not allow the quick put back by A2 to score since the Ruling says "A1"? Or would you make some allowance for a quick rebound??
If there are no B players in the vicinity, I might allow the put back, but it could be persuasively argued that one free shot is enough in this case. If B misses the gimme, that's on them.

If there are any defenders in the area, I'm not allowing a rebound and I'm going to hit the whistle once the shot is in the air.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96 View Post
The intent of the Case Book RULING is to allow the immediate play to be completed. With that in mind, once the initial shot is "either made or missed" the whistle is to be sounded, and the T assessed. A successful shot, or a rebound secured by any player marks the end of that immediate play.
If the Team A player is unable to make the shot, oh well, we gave him/her the opportunity to complete the play . . .

The RULING is similar to a play in which a player from B steps OOB, when A1 is about to attempt an uncontested shot, as noted in CASE Book 9.3.3 Situation D, in hopes that the official will whistle the play dead, before the shot is taken.

Last edited by Rob1968; Tue Apr 14, 2015 at 11:20am.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If there are any defenders in the area, I'm not allowing a rebound and I'm going to hit the whistle once the shot is in the air.
I agree with this from the get go. I notice the "once the shot is in the air". I can see where my "confusion" set in now. I have never heard .. "I am going to wait until the act of shooting has begun to whistle the T"
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 03:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
There's no problem to solve. Once the shooting motion has begun, the basket counts anyway.

I might wait until the shot is in the air, though.
My simple point is to wait until the basket is completed just like the casebook states. Then you do not have to worry about if the basket counts or not. That is if of course you are thinking on your feet.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 14, 2015, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Per the language contained in the definition of continuous motion, it only applies to an opposing PLAYER committing a foul, not a coach or member of bench personnel. That is the reason for the withheld whistle in the Case Book play. If the technical foul is earned by a player on the court, it should be whistled immediately and the try counts if the act of shooting had begun.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 09:56pm
AremRed

Did a men's league game last month where a player mouthed off to me when the opposing team was starting to fast break. I waited about 5 seconds until the other team scored, then called the tech. Two points for the layup, two shots, and the ball. Boom.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2015, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Did a men's league game last month where a player mouthed off to me when the opposing team was starting to fast break. I waited about 5 seconds until the other team scored, then called the tech. Two points for the layup, two shots, and the ball. Boom.
Well done!
Old Thu Apr 16, 2015, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
You unfairly excessively punished this act. The withheld whistle is only for bench personnel and coaches, not players.

10.4.1 SITUATION F: A1 is driving toward the basket for an apparent goal when the official, while trailing the play advancing in the direction in which the ball is being advanced, is cursed by the head coach or bench personnel of Team B. How should the official handle this situation? RULING: The official shall withhold blow- ing the whistle until A1 has either made or missed the shot. The official shall then sound the whistle and assess the Team B head coach or bench personnel with a technical foul. If the official judges the act to be flagrant, the offender shall be ejected. If A’s coach or bench personnel was the offender, the whistle shall be sounded immediately when the unsporting act occurs. (10-4-1a)
Old Thu Apr 16, 2015, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You unfairly excessively punished this act. The withheld whistle is only for bench personnel and coaches, not players.

10.4.1 SITUATION F: A1 is driving toward the basket for an apparent goal when the official, while trailing the play advancing in the direction in which the ball is being advanced, is cursed by the head coach or bench personnel of Team B. How should the official handle this situation? RULING: The official shall withhold blow- ing the whistle until A1 has either made or missed the shot. The official shall then sound the whistle and assess the Team B head coach or bench personnel with a technical foul. If the official judges the act to be flagrant, the offender shall be ejected. If A’s coach or bench personnel was the offender, the whistle shall be sounded immediately when the unsporting act occurs. (10-4-1a)
That case does not necessarily support your conclusion.

It gives an example of how to handle a situation where the offense is committed by a coach or bench personnel. However, it does not preclude handling players in the same manner. It is silent on that point. It could even be interpreted to be the opposite of your conclusion in the name of consistency.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2015, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That case does not necessarily support your conclusion.

It gives an example of how to handle a situation where the offense is committed by a coach or bench personnel. However, it does not preclude handling players in the same manner. It is silent on that point. It could even be interpreted to be the opposite of your conclusion in the name of consistency.
The following play ruling is very clear and the one that I posted above is the only specific exception of which I am aware.

6.7 SITUATION C: Under what circumstances does the ball remain live when a foul occurs just prior to the ball being in flight during a try or tap? RULING: The ball would ordinarily become dead at once, but it remains live if the foul is by the defense, and this foul occurs after A1 has started the try or tap for goal and time does not expire before the ball is in flight. The foul by the defense may be either personal or technical and the exception to the rule applies to field goal tries and taps and free-throw tries. (4-11; 4-41-1)