The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I never saw the direction of the ball change. His hand could have been behind the ball but not touching it.
So his finger magically bent backwards? He must have different physiology than every other human being on earth so that he could do that on his own.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never saw the direction of the ball change. His hand could have been behind the ball but not touching it.
You must not have seen the definitive angle then. As he swipes for the ball, his fingers bend backwards as he makes contact
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 12:07am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Because they don't play that style.

One of the biggest keys to success in any sport is the ability to make adjustments during the game. And yes, officiating is something one must sometimes adjust to.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
We have a winner!!!

The program they use for the replay is DV Sports.
D-I Basketball Championships to use Advanced Timing, Replay Technologies - DVSport Software

I've used this system and they claim to use "HD" monitors but they are NOT very good and are pixelated. They replay shots from the truck are NOT quickly relayed to the DV Sports system. It is NOT a streamline process between the director in the TV truck and the DV Sports operator for the replay. Even if they did show the best replay angle to the crew on the floor where Winslow appears to have tipped the ball, the monitors would not show enough clarity that it did.
Dahoopref,

Can I be expecting a prize soon for the correct answer?? Perhaps an officiating.com t shirt ???
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

This is what I don't like about this site....we are talking about a ball touching a freakin finger tip.....Can we discuss 10.1.4 or Begin,develop, finish.....how about consistency and crew dynamics.....

Guess I won't talk about the above til Mike Stephens camp this summer....Driscoll will be there as well.....
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
This is what I don't like about this site....we are talking about a ball touching a freakin finger tip.....Can we discuss 10.1.4 or Begin,develop, finish.....how about consistency and crew dynamics.....

Guess I won't talk about the above til Mike Stephens camp this summer....Driscoll will be there as well.....
(NOT talking about this play)

Begin, develop, and finish or consistency don't matter much if a person doesn't know the fundamentals of an infraction when it is right in front of them.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 01:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Despite the fit Ryan was pitching about that play, there wasn't anything close to a FF1 on the play. You can't call a FF1 on a shooter because the defender rammed his face into the shooters elbow as the shooter was going up.

This. I was sitting about a mile away and didn't need to see the replay to say,, "Bronson stuck his face where it didn't belong. Easy call."
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Good call...arms no where near vertical.
Back to the Dayton no call thread. I'm saying both calls were very similar as far as verticality goes, but for some reason Dayton didn't draw a foul and this did.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Back to the Dayton no call thread. I'm saying both calls were very similar as far as verticality goes, but for some reason Dayton didn't draw a foul and this did.
IIRC, the difference is in what the shooter did. One went out of his way to get to contact. The other took the ball up normally.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

I'm trying to remember the last Final Four game decided on a game ending buzzer beater. Nantz has done 75 Final Four games and I do not think he has ever had one of those.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Three officiating decisions stood out to me. There were others which can be debated, but overall the crew did a good job.
The three plays to me which are difficult to comprehend that FF officials missed were the blocking foul called on Wisconsin by Derosa with about 9 minutes left. (Video of this has already been posted above in this thread.) I have a clear chargin foul on Duke's Winslow.
The play with around 4:15 left in which the Duke player steps on the endline, then passes to Okafor who is fouled by Kaminsky and scores.
The OOB call reviewed at 1:51. (Already discussed at length above.). Hard in real time or with an unclear video monitor, but if the NCAA is going to have video review for OOB calls under two minutes, then the system needs to be improved so that these calls are correct. Unfortunately, this one was not.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 03:22am
AremRed

That block call is the same call DeRosa made at the end of the UK-ND game.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 06:04am
NFHS Official

Quote:
You don't have very good vision then.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Hard in real time or with an unclear video monitor, but if the NCAA is going to have video review for OOB calls under two minutes, then the system needs to be improved so that these calls are correct. Unfortunately, this one was not.
I've never understood why basketball tries to do a replay review courtside on monitors smaller than my laptop screen. If we aren't going to have a replay official, can we at least have a big screen HD monitor just off the court for them to use?

It's simply unacceptable to go to review and get it wrong, but I don't know how they could have gotten it right with the monitor they had to use.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2015, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Out of all the calls all night, I hated this call. To me the Duke player shoved his shoulder and caused the Wisconsin player to "bow" and IMO this should have been a no call.
Agree, and I like your way of putting it. His arms were forced into being not so vertical. Winslow not only bulled his way directly into the chest of a legal defender, he shoved him with the ball too, even if much more subtly than Sabonis in the Elite 8.

And because the result went in his favor, Winslow figured he'd go a step further and literally run right through and over a legal defender (Dukan) in the second half ... and he got the call then, too!