The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 10:47pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRC View Post
I agree. Duke made the plays to win. There were some tough calls, but there are tough calls in any game. I stand by my critique of the review, however. I don't understand how millions of people sitting at home can see who is the last to touch the ball but the 3 people that matter cannot. I'm guessing they didn't get the same angles at the same slow motion that the audience got.
Everyone in America? I had a debate with my girlfriend about if it touched the Duke player. So not sure how everyone sees it that way. There was only one angle that was definitive. And it was a close call that only replay would have caught the touch. It was that close. Sorry, but I am sure there was a lot of debate over that call. And they seemed to only show that replay once that confirmed even a touch.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 10:52pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Everyone in America? I had a debate with my girlfriend about if it touched the Duke player. So not sure how everyone sees it that way. There was only one angle that was definitive. And it was a close call that only replay would have caught the touch. It was that close. Sorry, but I am sure there was a lot of debate over that call. And they seemed to only show that replay once that confirmed even a touch.

Peace
Rut, the replay showed the ball was clearly off the Duke player. Two angles showed it. How those three guys choose not to see it is unexplainable. If the angle was definitive as you say, how did they not reverse the call?
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 10:53pm
Back from the DL

Bo says (CBS post-game interview)...

"You just have to able to hands and the checking. There was more body contact than any game we played all year, and I just feel sorry for my guys that, all of a sudden, a game was like that. They (UW players) are struggling with that a little.... It's a shame it had to be played that way."
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Bo Ryan post game

Just listened to his post game on CBS....up 9 and indirectly blaming referees....cmon!!!! You got beat by two freshman....Wisconsin for years beat the crap out of people in B10 play. We are discussing 4 - 6 calls in the 2nd half. I give the crew a solid B....

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Mon Apr 06, 2015 at 11:06pm.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 10:56pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
Who wanted that to be a FF1?
Bo Ryan
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was only one angle that was definitive. And it was a close call that only replay would have caught the touch.

Peace
Exactly right. I'm not criticizing the call in real time. But as soon as the monitor is turned around, then the level of expected accuracy goes up significantly.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 11:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Rut, the replay showed the ball was clearly off the Duke player. Two angles showed it. How those three guys choose not to see it is unexplainable. If the angle was definitive as you say, how did they not reverse the call?
I saw the game. I saw the replays. Only one replay was definitive and without knowing what they were shown, they might not have seen that angle. I hope you do understand that the TV feeds are not necessarily the same angles they show to the officials. And I only saw that angle once and for some reason on the TV they went away from the angle. Sorry, but not sure what you were seeing. We had a dispute in my house over what was the call.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was only one angle that was definitive. And it was a close call that only replay would have caught the touch. It was that close. Sorry, but I am sure there was a lot of debate over that call. And they seemed to only show that replay once that confirmed even a touch.

Peace
How many did they need?
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

This was discussed at some of the conference D1 clinics last fall. For some reason, I'm not that far up the totem pole to know, but the monitor doesn't show every angle that they can produce from the CBS truck....that being said, I'm assuming they didn't have that particular angle....and they went with what they were given...
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 11:19pm
We don't rent pigs

A big guy who can put the ball on the floor, like Kaminsky, is a great beneficiary of the current (non)travel rule in the NCAA. Case in point is the move at the 9:20 mark which picked up Okafor's 4th foul.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 11:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDevil15 View Post
How many did they need?
Do you know what they saw? If you don't then stop telling everyone what they missed. My point is only one angle showed a fingertip and not much of a touch at that. You need the right one, not the one you think shows the play. They have time and pressure to make a decision.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 11:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
This was discussed at some of the conference D1 clinics last fall. For some reason, I'm not that far up the totem pole to know, but the monitor doesn't show every angle that they can produce from the CBS truck....that being said, I'm assuming they didn't have that particular angle....and they went with what they were given...
Same happens in the NFL. The TV angles shown are not shown the same to the monitors on the field.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While I don't work basketball, I figured someone would ask for that...

Good call...arms no where near vertical.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who wanted that to be a FF1?
Despite the fit Ryan was pitching about that play, there wasn't anything close to a FF1 on the play. You can't call a FF1 on a shooter because the defender rammed his face into the shooters elbow as the shooter was going up.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
We have a winner!!!

The program they use for the replay is DV Sports.
D-I Basketball Championships to use Advanced Timing, Replay Technologies - DVSport Software

I've used this system and they claim to use "HD" monitors but they are NOT very good and are pixelated. They replay shots from the truck are NOT quickly relayed to the DV Sports system. It is NOT a streamline process between the director in the TV truck and the DV Sports operator for the replay. Even if they did show the best replay angle to the crew on the floor where Winslow appears to have tipped the ball, the monitors would not show enough clarity that it did.