The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 01:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Mike Krzyzewski defends Bo Ryan's postgame comments

"It’s easy for me to say this because we won the tournament, but I thought the officiating was as good as we’ve had," Krzyzewski said. "I wish we had this national agency for at least the five power conferences and maybe the Big East where officials will only do games in those conferences so you’ll have better officiating."
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 02:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Mike Krzyzewski defends Bo Ryan's postgame comments

"It’s easy for me to say this because we won the tournament, but I thought the officiating was as good as we’ve had," Krzyzewski said. "I wish we had this national agency for at least the five power conferences and maybe the Big East where officials will only do games in those conferences so you’ll have better officiating."
Haha, good luck with that. But it would probably open up things for us peons trying to move up, so I wouldn't be opposed to it.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 02:38pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Haha, good luck with that. But it would probably open up things for us peons trying to move up, so I wouldn't be opposed to it.
It would? How?
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 02:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
It would? How?
Per: "I wish we had this national agency for at least the five power conferences and maybe the Big East where officials will only do games in those conferences so you’ll have better officiating."

If big dawgs are only working in those 6 conferences (IMO, the A-10, MVC, & Mtn West would also qualify in such a scenario), then who is working in the Horizon, MEAC, Southern, Sun Belt, C-USA, etc?
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
If you are talking about the out of bounds call, there was not enough to overrun it. You can't tell if the hand touched the ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgc99 View Post
I never saw the direction of the ball change. His hand could have been behind the ball but not touching it.
The head of the NCAA officiating has publicly said that you are incorrect.
==============
NCAA head of officials on controversial play: 'We never saw what everybody saw at home'
The Dagger
Sam Cooper Tue, Apr 7 9:32 PM GMT
By now you’ve probably seen the blown call that went against Wisconsin with just under two minutes left in Monday night’s national championship.

If you missed it, Wisconsin’s Bronson Koenig drove into the lane and attempted a layup in traffic and missed badly. The ball went up in the air and players from both sides fought for the ball, which deflected off a hand and out of bounds. The officials initially ruled that the ball hit off of Koenig, giving the ball back to Duke.

However, a closer, zoomed-in replay showed that the ball clearly glanced off the finger of Duke’s Justise Winslow.

Even after a review of nearly two minutes, possession was awarded to Duke in a head-scratching decision.

To explain how the blown call transpired, NCAA head of officiating John Adams appeared on Sirius XM radio and made a pretty surprising admission that they never saw the definitive replay that viewers saw at home.

“All four of our officials were involved in the review. We never saw, on our monitor, what everybody saw at home, if you can believe that,” Adams said.

However, after the officials left the monitor and made their ruling, Adams said he saw the zoomed-in view of the ball clearly touching Winslow’s finger.

At that point he had the opportunity to quickly make a decision.

“I saw it after they had left the monitor, and actually thought about, is it in my prerogative to get up, run over to the table, buzz the buzzer, and tell them to come back and look?” Adams said. “That’s how critical I thought the play was and concluded that this is a job for the guys on the floor. I’ve never done it before. Why would I do it tonight and perhaps change the balance of the game?”

It’s pretty surprising that Adams wouldn’t blatantly admit that a mistake had been made and even more surprising that he’d admit that he had the opportunity to correct the mistake. To do so, it seems like he would have had to forgo protocol that had been followed with the replay system for the entire season.

Beyond that, Adams seemed to cast a bit of blame toward the review system itself and said that the incident will be looked at moving forward.

“They’d already left. It will be one of the things we will follow up on,” Adams said. “We’ve been told time and time again that nobody at home will see anything you didn’t see. And I will tell you that’s not what happened last night. That’s not an excuse; that’s just laying it out for you.”

While it’s nice that Adams was so transparent in explaining how it all went down, none of it will make Wisconsin fans feel any better.

After the possession was ultimately given to Duke, freshman guard Tyus Jones – the Final Four’s Most Outstanding Player – drilled a three-pointer to increase the Blue Devils’ lead from five to eight.

The Badgers were able to cut the Duke lead down to three, but could not quite get over the hump and Duke prevailed, 68-63, to take home the fifth national title in program history.

(H/T Deadspin)

- - - - - - -

Sam Cooper is a contributor for the Yahoo Sports blogs. Have a tip? Email him or follow him on Twitter!
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 05:45pm
AremRed

Quote:
If big dawgs are only working in those 6 conferences (IMO, the A-10, MVC, & Mtn West would also qualify in such a scenario), then who is working in the Horizon, MEAC, Southern, Sun Belt, C-USA, etc?
Me, you, and APG?
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

I would take a 30 game of mid majors ( MEAC / Ivy & Pat / MAAC / Am. East ).........
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

This has turned into a massive mess.

Dan Gavitt, the NCAA's vice president of the men's basketball championship, said on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Wednesday that officials actually did see the same video replay that viewers at home saw on the questionable out-of-bounds call in the national title game, contradicting what John Adams, the NCAA's supervisor of officials, had said Tuesday.

NCAA VP says officials actually did see replay angle of disputed out-of-bounds call in Duke-Wisconsin title game
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 06:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The NCAA and Adams don't seem to be parting on the best terms. He wanted to continue in the job and they wanted someone new.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 08:23pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The NCAA and Adams don't seem to be parting on the best terms. He wanted to continue in the job and they wanted someone new.
That would not surprise me. Just from hearing different things I know not all veteran officials nor conference supervisors were happy with some of the direction he was taking the Men's side, especially as it applied to play-calling and some floor mechanics.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 08:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
This has turned into a massive mess.

Dan Gavitt, the NCAA's vice president of the men's basketball championship, said on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Wednesday that officials actually did see the same video replay that viewers at home saw on the questionable out-of-bounds call in the national title game, contradicting what John Adams, the NCAA's supervisor of officials, had said Tuesday.

NCAA VP says officials actually did see replay angle of disputed out-of-bounds call in Duke-Wisconsin title game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Could this controversy be manufactured by one side or the other as a result of a bad break-up?

Adams saying the system Gavitt and the NCAA purchased is inferior.

Gavitt saying the Adam's officials didn't complete the job.
Old Wed Apr 08, 2015, 09:36pm
NFHS Official

Quote:

Gavitt saying the Adam's officials didn't complete the job.
Wouldn't that be bad news for DeRosa, if he was in line for Adams' job?