The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 04:47pm
Back from the DL

Running time sitch

Charity tournament, equal to men's wreck. Two 20-minute running time halves, running time, with stop time the last two minutes. During running time, the clock only stops during time outs, and at our instruction.

A-1 is fouled while in the act of shooting. Before he shoots his free throws, A-2 requests a time out, which is granted. Clock is stopped with 2:40 left in the second half, B leading (I forget by how much).

After the time-out, I administer the two free throws, and instruct the clock operator to start the clock when A-1 has the ball at his disposal. A-2 objects, saying he called time out, and the clock should start after the free throws. I point out the ball is live when A-1 gets it.

There was no hard, fast rule outlined for this situation, but overall, I believe I had the correct application. Has anyone had anything similar/different in such off-season tournaments?
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 04:55pm
AremRed

Yeah I've had a couple similar games and use the same logic you did. Nice job!
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

While I agree, others have the "rule" that a TO stops the clock until it would start under normal rules.

Next time you see the running clock rules, get the re-start clarified before the game / tournament.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 08:37pm
Courageous When Prudent

On those occasions where I've worked with running clocks, anytime it is stopped for a time-out, the clock resumes the same as it would in a regulation game.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

In games with a running clock and coming from a TO, I would start the clock normally...as though it wasn't a running clock.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Apr 05, 2015, 09:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do what we normally do unless instructed otherwise. I have worked a tournament that even had time running during a timeout in some situations.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
On those occasions where I've worked with running clocks, anytime it is stopped for a time-out, the clock resumes the same as it would in a regulation game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
In games with a running clock and coming from a TO, I would start the clock normally...as though it wasn't a running clock.
This is what's common in my area.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 08:52am

I agree with the comments that say check with the league admins. We have two men's leagues here and after timeouts, one starts the clock with ball at disposal and one starts as we would normally have it start.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

CYO around here uses a running clock except in the last two minutes -- several other youth leagues do as well. After TOs, the clock restarts when it would in a normal game (and it is the same in the other leagues I've seen use it). I have been bewildered over the years at how few of the coaches understand how to use their timeouts effectively to manage the clock in that time period just before the clock starts stopping.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

If you start the clock at the disposal, are you chopping that in? I think - especially in the context of men's wreck ball - that I would just go to football mechanics and wind it up.

Joking aside... Without guidance from game admin, I would start the clock when it would start again by rule, as if there was no running clock.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

start the clock when the ball becomes live... you'll get outta there sooner!
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 12:52pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
start the clock when the ball becomes live... you'll get outta there sooner!
Bingo. They have running clocks for a reason. This is the reason.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 01:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If I'm making the rules, I'd start on the disposal for the very reason Aremred states. Technically, you could justify starting the clock as soon as the timeout is over, but I'd compromise and do it when the ball becomes live.

I honestly don't normally pay that much attention, though, and just let the clock operator do her thing. It's either a mom, dad, or sister who doesn't need me piling on to the stress, or it's someone working the entire tournament for a pizza and tacos and they've got their system in place already.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

My state makes this quite easy by spelling out the running clock rule, which then gets used in most of the wreck leagues, youth leagues, etc. Among other provisions (40pts, 2nd half, etc) it says that one reason for stopping the clock is FTs. The clock stops when the calling official indicates the number of FTs to the scorer after reporting, and starts again normally.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2015, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn335 View Post
My state makes this quite easy by spelling out the running clock rule, which then gets used in most of the wreck leagues, youth leagues, etc. Among other provisions (40pts, 2nd half, etc) it says that one reason for stopping the clock is FTs. The clock stops when the calling official indicates the number of FTs to the scorer after reporting, and starts again normally.
What is the point of a running clock if it stops for FT administration?