The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Hanging on the Rim

With the other thread closed, here is hanging on the rim in a division 1 ncaa tournament regional final game...correct no call?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2VkPbxfnKE
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 11:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Looks to me like a T, but I don't work college so I don't know what the expectations are there.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 03:21pm
Official & Member

Eh. Looks like he's just hanging on until he's vertical so he doesn't land on his a**. Maybe a touch of hot dog here but hardly over the top. I'm OK with a no-call here.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 05:18pm
AremRed

No tech here, and no tech in the other one.

Rarely does a player dunk and there is not someone hanging around the rim. I'm not really looking for a swing but a pull-up with the arms and knees. If it doesn't look unsporting then I'm not gonna penalize the kid who can pull off a sweet dunk.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Almost exactly the scenario from the Ohio HS game.

For me, no T there, no T here.

I would suspect, however, those in the overwhelming majority supporting the HS one would also say one should have been called here.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Almost exactly the scenario from the Ohio HS game.

For me, no T there, no T here.

I would suspect, however, those in the overwhelming majority supporting the HS one would also say one should have been called here.
I think the threshold is different between HS and college. Even though the rules are essentially the same and I would have called the one in HS, I'd pass on this one in college.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 01:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think the threshold is different between HS and college. Even though the rules are essentially the same and I would have called the one in HS, I'd pass on this one in college.
My thoughts, too. I was watching a bunch of highlight dunks the other day, and I noticed how the vast majority of them the player never loses his balance because he never grabs the rim.

Grabbing the rim and then claiming you had to hang on because you lost your balance doesn't give you the safety exemption.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 02:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rim Grabbing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Grabbing the rim and then claiming you had to hang on because you lost your balance doesn't give you the safety exemption.
I couldn't dunk a basketball in high school, I'm not a college official, and I work as many girls high school games as boys high school games, so I'm, by no means, an expert on rim grabbing.

Shouldn't each rim grabbing case be viewed individually? Lots of different angles. Lots of different trajectories. Players trying to do something that may not be as easy for them to do as for other players to do. Players in the way. Players not in the way. Avoiding a player control foul versus an "open field" slam.

I know a "show off" rim grab when I see one. I know a "safety" rim grab when I see one. It's the rim grabs in between these two extremes that are hard for us to judge, so we have to use our educated judgment in those situations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I couldn't dunk a basketball in high school, I'm not a college official, and I work as many girls high school games as boys high school games, so I'm, by no means, an expert on rim grabbing.

Shouldn't each rim grabbing case be viewed individually? Lots of different angles. Lots of different trajectories. Players trying to do something that may not be as easy for them to do as for other players to do. Players in the way. Players not in the way. Avoiding a player control foul versus an "open field" slam.

I know a "show off" rim grab when I see one. I know a "safety" rim grab when I see one. It's the rim grabs in between these two extremes that are hard for us to judge, so we have to use our educated judgment in those situations.
Exactly...so tell us your opinion on what this one is from the angle you view it
Old Sat Apr 04, 2015, 09:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Tough Call For Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy25 View Post
Exactly...so tell us your opinion on what this one is from the angle you view it
If I'm the trail in a high school game, in real time, without the benefit of instant, slow motion, replay, I'm charging a technical foul. I don't like the empathic, final, pull up on the rim. But my mind can easily be changed.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)