The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hanging on the Rim (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99636-hanging-rim.html)

Pumpy25 Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:02am

Hanging on the Rim

With the other thread closed, here is hanging on the rim in a division 1 ncaa tournament regional final game...correct no call?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2VkPbxfnKE

Adam Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:13am

Looks to me like a T, but I don't work college so I don't know what the expectations are there.

Bad Zebra Fri Apr 03, 2015 03:21pm

Eh. Looks like he's just hanging on until he's vertical so he doesn't land on his a**. Maybe a touch of hot dog here but hardly over the top. I'm OK with a no-call here.

AremRed Fri Apr 03, 2015 05:18pm

No tech here, and no tech in the other one.

Rarely does a player dunk and there is not someone hanging around the rim. I'm not really looking for a swing but a pull-up with the arms and knees. If it doesn't look unsporting then I'm not gonna penalize the kid who can pull off a sweet dunk.

ODog Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:24pm

Almost exactly the scenario from the Ohio HS game.

For me, no T there, no T here.

I would suspect, however, those in the overwhelming majority supporting the HS one would also say one should have been called here.

Camron Rust Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 960100)
Almost exactly the scenario from the Ohio HS game.

For me, no T there, no T here.

I would suspect, however, those in the overwhelming majority supporting the HS one would also say one should have been called here.

I think the threshold is different between HS and college. Even though the rules are essentially the same and I would have called the one in HS, I'd pass on this one in college.

Adam Sat Apr 04, 2015 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 960112)
I think the threshold is different between HS and college. Even though the rules are essentially the same and I would have called the one in HS, I'd pass on this one in college.

My thoughts, too. I was watching a bunch of highlight dunks the other day, and I noticed how the vast majority of them the player never loses his balance because he never grabs the rim.

Grabbing the rim and then claiming you had to hang on because you lost your balance doesn't give you the safety exemption.

BillyMac Sat Apr 04, 2015 02:03pm

Rim Grabbing ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 960113)
Grabbing the rim and then claiming you had to hang on because you lost your balance doesn't give you the safety exemption.

I couldn't dunk a basketball in high school, I'm not a college official, and I work as many girls high school games as boys high school games, so I'm, by no means, an expert on rim grabbing.

Shouldn't each rim grabbing case be viewed individually? Lots of different angles. Lots of different trajectories. Players trying to do something that may not be as easy for them to do as for other players to do. Players in the way. Players not in the way. Avoiding a player control foul versus an "open field" slam.

I know a "show off" rim grab when I see one. I know a "safety" rim grab when I see one. It's the rim grabs in between these two extremes that are hard for us to judge, so we have to use our educated judgment in those situations.

Pumpy25 Sat Apr 04, 2015 07:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 960114)
I couldn't dunk a basketball in high school, I'm not a college official, and I work as many girls high school games as boys high school games, so I'm, by no means, an expert on rim grabbing.

Shouldn't each rim grabbing case be viewed individually? Lots of different angles. Lots of different trajectories. Players trying to do something that may not be as easy for them to do as for other players to do. Players in the way. Players not in the way. Avoiding a player control foul versus an "open field" slam.

I know a "show off" rim grab when I see one. I know a "safety" rim grab when I see one. It's the rim grabs in between these two extremes that are hard for us to judge, so we have to use our educated judgment in those situations.

Exactly...so tell us your opinion on what this one is from the angle you view it

BillyMac Sat Apr 04, 2015 09:26pm

Tough Call For Me ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpy25 (Post 960123)
Exactly...so tell us your opinion on what this one is from the angle you view it

If I'm the trail in a high school game, in real time, without the benefit of instant, slow motion, replay, I'm charging a technical foul. I don't like the empathic, final, pull up on the rim. But my mind can easily be changed.