The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Is the Missouri system to help you improve or is the system in place so they can use an objective system to help make decisions?

Are not human beings making the assignments? I would doubt unless stated that the human beings making the assignments are not considering other factors. That is just a guess on my part, but this is why I have a problem with how we focus on ratings.

Peace
Missouri ratings are two-fold. They are used as a guideline for selecting officials to work post-season games. Playoff games, beginning with the sectional round, are selected by the state association. Officials for post-season games prior to sectionals are drafted by each district committee, which is usually comprised of the host athletic director and a few other administrators/coaches from participating schools. Ratings are also used to identify officials that may need to attend mechanics clinics again in order to improve. Ratings are divided into quartiles. Third and fourth quartile officials (bottom 50%) may be required to go through additional training at the mechanics clinics.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 03:00pm
High Five Master

missouri

I don't think it is designed to help one improve, but I've always tried to view it that way. I've never run into a rating this low for softball so it was pretty upsetting to see it in basketball.

Again, the biggest frustration is that it is only coaches with input on the rating. In Missouri it's supposed to be broken down this way:

1-State level official
2-District/Sectional Official
3-Varisty Official
4-Sub Varsity
5-Not ready to officiate

The only time the coach has to be specific in any way is if they give a 5. At that point, they have to write a report to the state office. So, it doesn't help anyone get any better.

As stated, the state uses these ratings in order to select those officials to do sectionals and beyond. While I have a few years to go before I get that far, I'd like to think am better than what I was rated.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
While I have a few years to go before I get that far, I'd like to think am better than what I was rated.
I wouldn't get too hung up on your ratings. For instance, the year I was selected to officiate the state finals was the same year I had one of my worst ratings years.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 03:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

The only thing I care about in regards to what a coach rates me on is communication.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleone View Post
I wouldn't get too hung up on your ratings. For instance, the year I was selected to officiate the state finals was the same year I had one of my worst ratings years.
Yep. I worked three playoff games this year and my rating was not as good as it was 2-3 seasons ago.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm from Mo as well..

Just checked mine ..................dang , I should only do sub Varsity ball

Makes one wonder .....

I have equal number of ratings for "Needs Improvement" as I have for "Exceeds Expectations" for Consistency .

Oh well,,,,,,
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 03:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The only thing I care about in regards to what a coach rates me on is communication.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
I'm from Mo as well..

Makes one wonder .....

I have equal number of ratings for "Needs Improvement" as I have for "Exceeds Expectations" for Consistency .

Oh well,,,,,,
My state used to have about 10 areas that coaches could put as a part of their ratings that were associated with "Needs to Improve" like consistency, mechanics, appearance. I am so glad my state got rid of those things. Coaches have no idea what those things are unless they might have officiated. And even if they had officiated at some point, chances are they were not very accomplished if they are coaching. Half the time a coach complains about even something like communication, they often are mad because you will not address them when they want you to, not when it is appropriate, they claim you do not communicate well.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refk View Post
I'm from Mo as well..

Makes one wonder .....

Oh well,,,,,,
This is why I wouldn't care how a coach rated me, even in terms of communication...

In one game, you could spend time explaining legitimate questions to a coach that asks respectfully. In the same game, the other coach may be yelling and pleading for calls from the tip. You tell him he has said enough and needs to stop. Ratings? One coach is going to say you were a great communicator and answered his questions thoroughly. The other is going to say you are a poor communicator.

Add to that the fact that some high school officials are in this for the wrong reason so you get one guy who was buddy-buddy with the coach and now you are taking care of business. Odds are his communication ratings are high and yours are low. In reality, you may be the better official.

At the college level, this is a little different because the baseline should be more consistent. Therefore, if I'm told I'm a poor communicator by a college assignor, I'd take steps to improve. High School? Not so much.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2015, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I agree...... I had coach this year upset with me because I did not discuss a call (don't know how I could) as lead --- across the lane during action. During the timeout he really "gave it to me " because of this and at that point I gave him the stop sign. I'm sure he rated me highly in the communication department ??

Just a few weeks ago I talked with a friend of mine who is a coach and discussed "communication" with him. I told him that I continually hear coach's stating this is what is lacking from officials etc.. etc.. I told him many times when I try to communicate with the coach it's really just an opportunity for him/her to complain (bit&# session). He said that for the most part that I was probably right ..............this coach rarely says anything to officials. He said he doesn't says anything to the officials because it "takes away from his in-game coaching" and that his players might feed off of it.

Oh, well............till next year