The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 12:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You're kidding, right? There are stories all the times of leagues and tournaments who get rid of officials or simply stop using them because the officials TCB and don't bend over backwards to please the "customer." I posted one above. That's not the only time that's happened to me in 28 years, either.

Difference between me and other officials is that I don't really care -- I don't really need to work stuff like this and do it mainly to tune up for camps or for some pocket money to take on vacations. I'll TCB. Those that use this money to pay the bills quickly learn to get walked on so they keep getting the work.
Guess it is not an issue around these parts because I've never once considered something like that happening. There a lot of parents who sit in silence but I very happy their jack-wagon coach gets tossed from a game.

What I do know is that I've read quite a few stories of officials getting assaulted in Florida. Maybe this isn't the proper execution to address the lack of civility in sports leagues in that state, but apparently it is bad enough to catch the attention of some people of power.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 01:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

In all the years I was associated with our local kids rec league, our policy was that if a coach was ejected, he or she had to appear before the executive committee of the Board of Directors before he or she could continue to coach. If they did not agree to appear, they were done coaching (either head or assistant) "forever", even if they had a younger kid who was coming up in the ranks. If they appeared, there was still the possibility they would be barred, but that was rare. Sometimes the Board committee would suspend them for a game or two but they usually straightened themselves out pretty quick. We had to keep in mind that all our coaches were volunteers and we really didn't want to lose them.

There was one coach who slapped a player (5th grade boy) during a timeout for "not paying attention". He thought it was OK to slap him because the kid was his son. We kicked this jerk out for life.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Seems like the wrong fix to me. Who is acceptable as a coach in the league should be league business.

My comment about assault on officials in FL. In NC, it is a felony to assault a game official. Why add a civil penalty (cant coach anymore) when assault is a violent crime and should be treated as such. If the offender is convicted of a felony, then with recreation leagues around here, they are not eligible to coach.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 01:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
Seems like the wrong fix to me. Who is acceptable as a coach in the league should be league business.
Well, in Florida, a couple of the assaults that have occurred have been by convicted felons who have been allowed to be assistant coaches in youth leagues. Apparently those businesses are not being run in the best interests of the participants and officials.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Apr 01, 2015 at 02:12pm.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 02:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

On the surface I like the rule. I think coaches need to coach and stop trying to act like "children" when things do not go their way. And yes if a league wants to ban an official because they did their job, then I guess they might alienate a lot of their potential staff. Yes, that would be chaos. Then you would get guys who are not good just trying to work their games.

Something needs to be done at these levels. High schools usually have some level of accountability with the participants. Youth are self-run and the inmates are usually running the asylum.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 03:19pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What I do know is that I've read quite a few stories of officials getting assaulted in Florida. Maybe this isn't the proper execution to address the lack of civility in sports leagues in that state, but apparently it is bad enough to catch the attention of some people of power.
I swear the heat cooks people's brains down here. The assault cases I've heard of tend to occur in youth football and soccer. There's no shortage lunatic parents in AAU basketball but I've not heard of much in the way of physical confrontation...at least in my neck of the woods. It is a big state though.

The person who sponsored the bill witnessed the bad behavior at his daughter's softball game (he's a coach). He's a state senator from South FL. (Broward County). I applaud the effort...but this measure seems broad, non-specific and unenforceable.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Wed Apr 01, 2015 at 03:41pm.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, in Florida, a couple of the assaults that have occurred have been by convicted felons who have been allowed to be assistant coaches in youth leagues. Apparently those businesses are not being run in the best interests of the participants and officials.

That's a reason why a lot of areas are going to background checks for almost any adult, coach,umpire, score keeper, to be able to do games.

Many areas, like mine, can't afford to have umpires blackballed lest they have to start having lotteries before gamed to see who gets pulled out of the stands to do games...that's almost how I got started doing basketball games.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 07:18pm
Administrator

I am interested in how the AAU (and Disney) are going to respond to this legislation considering the number of AAU Nationals that are held at Disney. Also YBOA basketball and USSSA nationals.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 10:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I ask because the first time a coach and official are having a particularly bad day at the same time and a coach is tossed and suspended I can see the brown stuff hitting the fan. Parents will be screaming because Little Johnny cannot be coached by their real coach. I mean, come on...everyone can see that he has the skills and ability to be the next King James.
I wouldn't even put this partly on the official. Even officials who are having a bad day manage to not toss coaches unless the coach is acting like a fool. The great thing is, there's always the first T as a warning.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Agreed. It's bad on a number of levels. May be well intentioned but really, really bad execution. Hopefully someone with some degree of intelligence in the FL legislature (HA!) will see the folly of trying to enforce (and the real-life consequences this is going to ceate) and defeat this thing before it ever comes to a vote.

And IMHO...a textbook example of government overreach.
I'd bet a nickle that the senator doesn't have any intention of driving this through the process to law, but is using the bill as a way of getting some attention -- both for himself and for the problem in youth sports. I'll be the bill is sparking a lot of discussions (like this one), and that some leagues may use it is as inspiration to remind coaches (and parents) of appropriate behavior. And I'd hope some would use it to remind refs to toss the miscreants who don't get the message and clean up the league.

(Our local AYSO Area had a lead administrator who would come to the referee meetings for the Area programs (most notably the older players) and plead with referees to toss the bad actors as that is how they got to the attention of an the administrator in a way she could act. After a few years of action, the environment is really quite good. Alas, not all leagues have that kind of support.)
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I worked a train wreck youth "church" league last year (against my better judgment) in which we were told not to give coaches technical fouls. We were told to go to the director if we had a problem with a coach (which we did many times throughout the season). The league director would never take care of business, and the problems never improved. I lost my temper with him one time and told him loudly, "Deal with that coach before I do!" Thankfully, he has been relieved of his duties by the church, and I no longer provide them my services, but apparently the new director has straightened things out (and instructs referees to call technicals).
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 01:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I worked a train wreck youth "church" league last year (against my better judgment) in which we were told not to give coaches technical fouls.
Nothing they said after this would matter. I don't call a lot of them, but I'm not going to work a game where I know any I did call wouldn't be supported.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 01:44pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I worked a train wreck youth "church" league last year (against my better judgment) in which we were told not to give coaches technical fouls.
Big. Red. Flag.

Run away...don't walk.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 01:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Big. Red. Flag.

Run away...don't walk.

The Toledo CYO basketball uses NFHS Basketball Rules with two modifications: 1) No dunking allowed. PERIOD!! It is a TF. 2) All TFs for dunking or unsportsmanlike behavior, including players and bench personnell is considered a FTF and automatice ejection.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 01:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Big. Red. Flag.

Run away...don't walk.
Yep.

Tempted to respond:
"Should I also consult with you before I call traveling?"

"If you want to deal with the coaches during the game, you'll need to put on a whistle."

"I'll assume then that you'll be sitting next to them to prevent them from crossing the line."

Actual response:
"No thank you. Have a good day, and good luck with your league."