The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Inbounding Ball Question

I can't find this in the rule book... Inbounding from out of bounds a player has 5 seconds to release the ball from out of bounds onto the court...correct?
At this point the rule is satisfied...correct? There is no requirement for anyone to touch it within the 5 second count..right? Which is why it's legal to roll it in and nobody sometimes touches it for 7-10 seconds. So if it is in the backcourt
the 10 second count also starts when there is a touch on the court and not before? The game clock always starts on the touch inbounds. All accurate?
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Yes.

In this same vein though, the 10-second backcourt count continues until front court status is established. I.E., a pass in the air (from backcourt to front), that doesn't touch anything the front court before the count reaches 10, is a violation.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
Yes.

In this same vein though, the 10-second backcourt count continues until front court status is established. I.E., a pass in the air (from backcourt to front), that doesn't touch anything the front court before the count reaches 10, is a violation.
Cool....thank you...appreciate the added piece.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starmanhoops View Post
I can't find this in the rule book... Inbounding from out of bounds a player has 5 seconds to release the ball from out of bounds onto the court...correct?
At this point the rule is satisfied...correct? There is no requirement for anyone to touch it within the 5 second count..right? Which is why it's legal to roll it in and nobody sometimes touches it for 7-10 seconds. So if it is in the backcourt
the 10 second count also starts when there is a touch on the court and not before? The game clock always starts on the touch inbounds. All accurate?
Actually, a couple of your thoughts aren't precisely correct.

9-2-4 is the citation for the NFHS rule requiring the throw-in pass to be released before five seconds elapses. 9-5-1d is the NCAA citation.
There is no requirement that the ball actually contact the court or a player prior to the five seconds expiring, just that the throw-in pass be released.

The ten-second backcourt count does NOT start on just a mere touch of the ball. Player control must be gained, meaning that the ball must be caught or dribbled inbounds to start the 10-second count. This can be confusing because the NCAA now has the officials use the shot clock to time ten-second backcourt violations and the shot clock starts on the first touch by ANY inbounds player (offense or defense). Most of the time this method works just fine because the first touch in the backcourt is also a catch of the throw-in pass by the offensive team establishing control. However, when the throw-in pass is deflected and not immediately caught the shot clock and the ten-second count will not coincide. The officials must be alert and look at the shot clock when control is first established, then give the team ten seconds from that point to reach the frontcourt.

The game clock starts on a mere touch from ANY inbounds player.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 06:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Misty Water Colored Memories ...

Quote:
Inbounding from out of bounds a player has 5 seconds to release the ball from out of bounds onto the court...correct?
At this point the rule is satisfied...correct? There is no requirement for anyone to touch it within the 5 second count...right?
The "must be touched in five seconds" inbounds myth goes back to the 1980's when that, indeed, was the NFHS rule.

I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. won't mind climbing up to his attic library to find us a citation from the past.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 07:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Actually, a couple of your thoughts aren't precisely correct.

9-2-4 is the citation for the NFHS rule requiring the throw-in pass to be released before five seconds elapses. 9-5-1d is the NCAA citation.
There is no requirement that the ball actually contact the court or a player prior to the five seconds expiring, just that the throw-in pass be released.

The ten-second backcourt count does NOT start on just a mere touch of the ball. Player control must be gained, meaning that the ball must be caught or dribbled inbounds to start the 10-second count. This can be confusing because the NCAA now has the officials use the shot clock to time ten-second backcourt violations and the shot clock starts on the first touch by ANY inbounds player (offense or defense). Most of the time this method works just fine because the first touch in the backcourt is also a catch of the throw-in pass by the offensive team establishing control. However, when the throw-in pass is deflected and not immediately caught the shot clock and the ten-second count will not coincide. The officials must be alert and look at the shot clock when control is first established, then give the team ten seconds from that point to reach the frontcourt.

The game clock starts on a mere touch from ANY inbounds player.
The bolded statement is not correct.

Player control is not needed in NCAA for the 10 second count to start. It begins on the first touch.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 07:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The "must be touched in five seconds" inbounds myth goes back to the 1980's when that, indeed, was the NFHS rule.

I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. won't mind climbing up to his attic library to find us a citation from the past.
We believe you Billy. Some of us actually remember when that was the rule. No need for an outdated rules citation to back you up.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
... the shot clock starts on the first touch by ANY inbounds player (offense or defense).
Hmmm, perhaps that is an NCAA thing? That was never my understanding for HS. I thought the shot clock starts when player control is established inbounds?

Or is the "team control" element on throw-ins (which was added strictly for the purpose of administering FTs, no?) extended to shot clock provisions as well?
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Hmmm, perhaps that is an NCAA thing? That was never my understanding for HS. I thought the shot clock starts when player control is established inbounds?

Or is the "team control" element on throw-ins (which was added strictly for the purpose of administering FTs, no?) extended to shot clock provisions as well?
Of course it's an NCAA thing, NFHS rule set does not have a shot clock.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 08:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You have a "throw-in" question.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 08:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post

Which high school rules have you seen in regards to the shot clock?
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Which high school rules have you seen in regards to the shot clock?
The CIF (California high school rules modifications).
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The bolded statement is not correct.

Player control is not needed in NCAA for the 10 second count to start. It begins on the first touch.
This must have been one of the changes that the NCAA made in the past two seasons. That was not the case a couple of years ago.

I just went and checked the current NCAA rules book and yes, this was one of the changes. However, according to the text, the shot clock does NOT start on a defensive touch of a throw-in pass only on a touch by a player of the team in his own backcourt and player control IS required for the 10-second count to begin following a missed try for goal. So the first touch is only correct for an offensive player on a throw-in pass, which is the context of the OP's question. Thanks for forcing me to research this. I learned something today.

CHANGES FOR 2014 and 2015
Violations- 10-second back court. (Rule 9-10).
The 10-second count shall begin when a player legally touches the ball in that team’s back court except on a rebound or jump ball. In such case, the 10-second count shall start on player control.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Apr 01, 2015 at 08:38am.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2015, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just curious, from what other location can an throw-in start?

Just picking a nit...
Old Thu Apr 02, 2015, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Tough crowd

Quote:
You have a "throw-in" question.
You are correct...

And thank you Billy: The "must be touched in five seconds" inbounds myth goes back to the 1980's when that, indeed, was the NFHS rule.