The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Here is my disclaimer. I believe that this has been discussed before, if so could someone point me to the correct post. If not, what would you call in the following situation.

Player A1 has the ball at their disposal for a throw-in. B1 has their back turned to A1 to guard the basket and not A1. A1 throws the ball onto the court so that it hits B1, then A1 retrieves the ball (after re-establishing themselves inbounds) and scores an easy lay-up.

From the interpretations of the rules, this is a legal throw-in and play. The player threw the ball directly into the court, the ball was touched by another player then the player who threw the ball into the court retrieves the ball. Would any veteran officials call anything? Or would you talk to the player? Or would you not say anything?

Thoughts?

Thanks for you input.
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 10:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by secondyear
Here is my disclaimer. I believe that this has been discussed before, if so could someone point me to the correct post. If not, what would you call in the following situation.

Player A1 has the ball at their disposal for a throw-in. B1 has their back turned to A1 to guard the basket and not A1. A1 throws the ball onto the court so that it hits B1, then A1 retrieves the ball (after re-establishing themselves inbounds) and scores an easy lay-up.

From the interpretations of the rules, this is a legal throw-in and play. The player threw the ball directly into the court, the ball was touched by another player then the player who threw the ball into the court retrieves the ball. Would any veteran officials call anything? Or would you talk to the player? Or would you not say anything?

Thoughts?

Thanks for you input.
second,
I would merely watch. ...And maybe sigh!
If I talked to the player, I may quietly say, "Slick move."
mick
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Mick,
That's what I thought - but a veteran official didn't seem too keen with the play. Of course the same team did this two additional times. I don't think the opposing team every caught on to the play!
Old Thu Nov 14, 2002, 11:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by secondyear
Mick,
That's what I thought - but a veteran official didn't seem too keen with the play. Of course the same team did this two additional times. I don't think the opposing team every caught on to the play!

Maybe, ...
  • his kid was playing
  • he knew a coach
  • he's an athletic director
  • he thinks winning isn't everything
  • he taught face-guarding the basket.
    mick