The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Inbounding Ball

Is a player inbounding the ball on the side line or end line allowed to step on, but not over the side line or end line?
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:17pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Yes. The line itself is out of bounds.

Hence, when you're on the court and you, or the ball, touch that line......TWEEEET!
Old Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:49pm
Medium Kahuna

Had a blowout game a couple weeks ago where, for absolutely no good reason, the team down 25 with 45 seconds remaining rolled the ball inbounds after a made basket (yeah, a made basket).

Anyway, the thrower put the ball on the floor OOB before rolling it inbounds. Fortunately, my partner had the good sense to pass on that violation (though the triple stupidity was probably T-worthy).
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 07:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ???

A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a throwin violation, not traveling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no more than three feet. A player inbounding the ball may “dribble” the ball on the out-of-bounds area prior to making a throwin. After a goal, or awarded goal, the team not credited with the score shall make the throw-in from any point outside the end line. A team retains this “run the endline” privilege if a timeout is called during the dead ball period after the goal. Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in, or may pass the ball along the end line to a teammate outside the boundary line.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I had a kid last night after a made basket that took the ball OOB for the throw-in and just put one foot OOB and lifted the other one up in the air. He started to pass the ball to a teammate, except he put the foot that was in the air back on the ground inbounds before he passed the ball in. Tweet.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

additional note to Billy's post above.

Had a team that liked to run the play where the inbounder passes laterally to another teammate who is also behind the endline, who then passes the ball in. They ran the play once on a spot throw in; my partner and I looked at each other like I don't think they can do that, but no whistle. We talk about it and get it right the next time. But it was one of those plays that I just don't see all that much and I wasn't prepared for it. Hopefully someone can learn from my mistake.

Next question, on the play I describe above, assuming it is in a legal situation, can the pass be a bounce pass? Because they did that too.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post

Next question, on the play I describe above, assuming it is in a legal situation, can the pass be a bounce pass? Because they did that too.
Yes
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.