The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 29, 2015, 10:00pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Ohio team loses H.S. state title after late hanging-on-the-rim technical foul

Original ESPN article: Ohio team loses H.S. state title after late hanging-on-the-rim technical foul - SportsNation - ESPN

(Trying to embed ESPN video...)
Old Sun Mar 29, 2015, 10:17pm
In Time Out

I don't see anything there that would justify a technical for me as a non-official. He may have pulled down on the rim a little after the ball went through, but other than that there's nothing here. I feel like his actions after he hit the ground had to have played into the T.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2015, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely a T. Good for the official and good for the director backing him up.

Fan comments are comical.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2015, 11:09pm
In Time Out

correct call...I can see why the fans are upset because no one is used to that call, but I think it's clear he added a bit after the dunk and the T could have been called. Sure some refs would have passed on it but I don't fault the ref here at all.

btw, speaking of a pass. In the Open Championship for California, at the end of regulation one team got the rebound with the game tied with about two seconds to go. A player was calling a TO but his team didn't have any. The refs let it go and the game went into OT. That was a great move by the refs(assuming they did it on purpose because it was fairly quick). It would have been a horrible way to end the game so pass on that T if the situation calls for it.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2015, 11:14pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
correct call...I can see why the fans are upset because no one is used to that call, but I think it's clear he added a bit after the dunk and the T could have been called. Sure some refs would have passed on it but I don't fault the ref here at all.

btw, speaking of a pass. In the Open Championship for California, at the end of regulation one team got the rebound with the game tied with about two seconds to go. A player was calling a TO but his team didn't have any. The refs let it go and the game went into OT. That was a great move by the refs(assuming they did it on purpose because it was fairly quick). It would have been a horrible way to end the game so pass on that T if the situation calls for it.
Just so I'm clear, what part of it is the part where he "added a bit after"?
Old Sun Mar 29, 2015, 11:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just Who's Coaching This Team ???

Quote:
A player was calling a TO but his team didn't have any. The refs let it go and the game went into OT. That was a great move by the refs(assuming they did it on purpose because it was fairly quick). It would have been a horrible way to end the game so pass on that T if the situation calls for it.
Totally disagree.

It's the officials' responsibility (NFHS) to tell a head coach that he has no timeouts left. It's the coach's responsibility to inform his players of such. It's the players' responsibility to listen to the coach's instructions.

It is not an official's responsibility to "let it go" to help either team.

Fire up the flux capacitor to go back to 1993. Every official, coach, and player, should watch, and learn from, this video The player, and/or, the coach, were wrong. But the official was 100% correct:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 29, 2015 at 11:44pm.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Jesus Christ mutant

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
Just so I'm clear, what part of it is the part where he "added a bit after"?
Players may hang on to the rim when there is a possibility of it being a safety issue...but they only get to hang on, not put on a show. Pulling his legs to a point nearly at the level of the rim is not just hanging on the rim for safety. It is way beyond that.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Cam is 100% correct...
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

I must say I got a good laugh out of the ESPN board comments on this play.Official made the correct call which is what I would expect a state finals level official to do here or on December 20th.I said on the ESPN board that if I were the official and passed on the T here I'd expect to hear it from the supervisor of officials for the OHSAA.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 01:17am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Players may hang on to the rim when there is a possibility of it being a safety issue...but they only get to hang on, not put on a show. Pulling his legs to a point nearly at the level of the rim is not just hanging on the rim for safety. It is way beyond that.
Got it. I didn't initially realize that his legs got that high. I'd agree with the call.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 02:00am
In Time Out

sorry off-topic but here is a link to the California game. no mention of the lack of timeouts. The TV people talked about it, but it did not seem like the right way to end this game. In my opinion the refs 100% saw the TO request. Maybe it didn't register in their mind to grant it which I think can happen in that situation. Or maybe they knew a tech would be called. But either way I'm very glad it wasn't. I think the shot was missed by Mater Dei with 1.5 or two seconds left (TO request by one player without the ball) and then time runs out. OT. It wasn't controversial. It happened and play moved on. Well-officiated game. Sorry no video.

Eric Sondheimer: Mater Dei-Bishop O'Dowd basketball title game fittingly caps weekend - LA Times

here is the mention of the timeout issue. On the TV, you could see it was 100% certain that the player was trying to call time-out. In part I think it was lucky for the player that there was so little time left that the timeout request could have been ignored or not seen. Had there been more time this may have been a different issue.

Streak ends | state, monarchs, scored - Sports - OC Varsity

Quote:
Parker tried a baseline floater that hit the heel of the rim, Cage got the rebound but his putback effort rolled off of the rim. O’Dowd got the ball and there might have been a Dragons player who signaled for a timeout that O’Dowd did not have – a technical foul on the Dragons, if that is what happened and if the officials had seen that.

this is the ending, not the play in question. On the TV video it appears there is a foul. you can't really see it. There then was a two minute delay or so to work things out with the time and Rabb was frozen at the line so the first ft was an airball.

Last edited by mutantducky; Mon Mar 30, 2015 at 02:15am.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I truly hope that mutantducky isn't a HS basketball official, but I fear that he may be somewhere in the Bay Area. His thoughts on shooting fouls and how officials should call a game are disgraceful.

If an official observed a player committing an infraction, yet purposely did not make the call and penalize it, then that official lacks integrity.

Btw the team which could have been penalized for the excessive TO request went on to win the game and the State Championship by making a FT with under a second to play in OT.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 02:43am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
On the TV video it appears there is a foul. you can't really see it.

This is cutting edge stuff right here.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 30, 2015, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

I just don't see this as anywhere near as clear cut as everyone else. His lower body seemed to have a bunch of momentum going forward, he didn't really swing or pull up much except to stop the momentum and *maybe* a little extra. This doesn't cross the threshold into excessive for me, but it's close. It's not the greatest angle - from behind it looks like the legs were swinging forward on the momentum of the shot. If he brought them up more to showboat, then sure, much more understandable call. Even his own coach didn't exactly give a rousing defense.

Of course, CC - feel free to score more next time to not put yourself in that position or stop the other team after the T shots.

Last edited by scrounge; Mon Mar 30, 2015 at 06:54am.
Closed Thread