The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 27, 2015, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Utah vs Duke (Video 2/2)

Block or charge with 1:19 remaining in the backcourt?
Old Fri Mar 27, 2015, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Block all day.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2015, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

I am a Utah alumni...my first impression was charge from TV angle but slowing it down it was a block.

the officiating was pretty good until the last 4 seconds. . What we should learn from this is don't stop officiating. You do a good job from 39:56 and every body remembers the 4 seconds where the game goes crappy. Miss a jump ball, bring the teams back because of the foul that happens at .7 .because of the non call on the jump...... Bizarre ending but would not have happened if refereed the entire 40:00...
Old Fri Mar 27, 2015, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Whoa, how about the final sequence there?

Duke up 62-57 with 5 seconds left, Utah is halfheartedly fouling/not fouling. The officials don't seem interested in calling anything and both teams seem content to let the game end.

Suddenly, the L calls one as the horn sounds. Nobody pays it any mind as the horn and whistle were nearly simultaneous and the play has no impact on the outcome.

The coaches shake hands, Utah leaves the court, the game is over ... except the official has a long discussion with the table and ultimately puts .7 back on the clock to shoot the "meaningless" FTs, orders Utah back to the floor, the whole bit.

Duke hits 1 to win by 6 and -- you guessed it -- the spread in many circles was 5.5.

The official was just doing his job and this is really a non-officiating topic, but wow: For thousands of Utah bettors, that instantly became the worst beat of all time.

Serious question: If the crew had just walked off the floor at the horn, would anyone have batted an eyelash from a supervisory perspective?
Old Fri Mar 27, 2015, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

The final seconds definitely looked bad. I can confirm that the betting spread was five or five and a half, depending upon the book and the timing of the bet.

Clearly a held ball was created and ignored, then a flagrant 1 personal foul was committed, but only charged as a common foul with all the brewhaha of resetting the clock and bring the teams back out to shoot.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2015, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

The backcourt collision is a charge to me. The defender is moving legally as he is guarding a dribbler.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2015, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Call out the cavalry. CHARGE!
I have not seen many Player Control fouls.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 12:56am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Whoa, how about the final sequence there?

Duke up 62-57 with 5 seconds left, Utah is halfheartedly fouling/not fouling. The officials don't seem interested in calling anything and both teams seem content to let the game end.

Suddenly, the L calls one as the horn sounds. Nobody pays it any mind as the horn and whistle were nearly simultaneous and the play has no impact on the outcome.

The coaches shake hands, Utah leaves the court, the game is over ... except the official has a long discussion with the table and ultimately puts .7 back on the clock to shoot the "meaningless" FTs, orders Utah back to the floor, the whole bit.

Duke hits 1 to win by 6 and -- you guessed it -- the spread in many circles was 5.5.

The official was just doing his job and this is really a non-officiating topic, but wow: For thousands of Utah bettors, that instantly became the worst beat of all time.

Serious question: If the crew had just walked off the floor at the horn, would anyone have batted an eyelash from a supervisory perspective?
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...as-strip/?_r=0

I think that's tough to beat.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Block or charge with 1:19 remaining in the backcourt?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giSjpg_su9A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
I am a Utah alumni...my first impression was charge from TV angle but slowing it down it was a block.

the officiating was pretty good until the last 4 seconds. . What we should learn from this is don't stop officiating. You do a good job from 39:56 and every body remembers the 4 seconds where the game goes crappy. Miss a jump ball, bring the teams back because of the foul that happens at .7 .because of the non call on the jump...... Bizarre ending but would not have happened if refereed the entire 40:00...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz056b0MKHw

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 02:17am
Official Forum Member

A ridiculous Duke foul shot shows why you should never gamble | For The Win
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the video postings.

After watching the backcourt foul again several times, I'm still certain that it is a PC. The defender clearly establishes ILGP and then is moving BACKWARDS and to his right when the contact occurs. The offensive player hits him in the torso and displaces him.

I have no idea what those saying block are seeing in this play.
Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

Notwithstanding the action before the foul

If the officials are going to go the monitor to look at whether the foul occurred prior to the expiration of time, you need to send both teams to their benches and tell them that the game isn't over yet. That avoids the awkwardness of having to get Utah back on the floor for the FT's.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 28, 2015, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
After watching the backcourt foul again several times, I'm still certain that it is a PC. The defender clearly establishes ILGP and then is moving BACKWARDS and to his right when the contact occurs. The offensive player hits him in the torso and displaces him.

I have no idea what those saying block are seeing in this play.
I agree. The defender couldn't have had better position. Excellent defense should not be punished.