The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 01:28pm
Ok is the new good

Camps in NC, SC. VA

Now with HS season over..focus switches to summer Camps...

Recomendations for camps in

1) North Carolina

2) Upstate SC Area

3) VA

Thanks!
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

If you're looking for a high school camp for purely self-improvement, the Palmetto Basketball Officials Camp in York, SC is a good one for a small price. The website hasn't put up its 2015 information yet, but here is last year's information.

http://www.district3hoops.com/camps/York%202014.pdf

If you're trying to be seen by college assignors, I think Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC puts on an officials' camp at its Camp of Champions, but don't hold me to that.

Last edited by SC Official; Tue Mar 24, 2015 at 01:46pm.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 01:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

If you're trying to be seen by college assignors, I think Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC puts on an officials' camp at its Camp of Champions, but don't hold me to that.
I've been to the that camp, it's brutal. Unless you have a good chance of getting picked up, don't go.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 01:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Now with HS season over..focus switches to summer Camps...

Recomendations for camps in

1) North Carolina

2) Upstate SC Area

3) VA

Thanks!
Need to know your goals and expectations.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I've been to the that camp, it's brutal. Unless you have a good chance of getting picked up, don't go.
BNR, what was brutal about it, in your opinion? Too many games? Extremely tough competition? Harsh critics? You're not the first person I've heard this from, and your thoughts may help me down the road.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
BNR, what was brutal about it, in your opinion? Too many games? Extremely tough competition? Harsh critics? You're not the first person I've heard this from, and your thoughts may help me down the road.
They use at least 5 venues for their game, and 3 of them are very hot and humid. They use a pod system and you just continually move from court to court to work games. You check in Father's Day evening and work games Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. The post game meetings Monday and Tuesday night keep campers up until 1:00 in the morning, and you have to be ready to work by 8 in the morning. By Wednesday, the observers appear to be just as tired as the campers. All the games are not that good. It is not top flight competition.

I went in 2009 & 2010. I have heard that attendance for this camp has dwindled over the years.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They use at least 5 venues for their game, and 3 of them are very hot and humid. They use a pod system and you just continually move from court to court to work games. You check in Father's Day evening and work games Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday. The post game meetings Monday and Tuesday night keep campers up until 1:00 in the morning, and you have to be ready to work by 8 in the morning. By Wednesday, the observers appear to be just as tired as the campers. All the games are not that good. It is not top flight competition.

I went in 2009 & 2010. I have heard that attendance for this camp has dwindled over the years.
I've heard the lack of A/C complaint from more than one person. That's just not reasonable/comfortable during June/July in SC. Our summers are brutal.

Good to know your thoughts.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:32pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Need to know your goals and expectations.
1) Become a better HS Official..Not in my goals to go behind an Elite HS official

2) Obtain a very solid understanding of all aspects of 3 person.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:35pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
1) Become a better HS Official..Not in my goals to go beyond an Elite HS official

s/b beyond
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 02:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
1) Become a better HS Official..Not in my goals to go behind an Elite HS official

Roger Ayers and Mike Eades run a camp in the Lynchburg, VA area with the main goal being instruction.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Greg Bennett (ODAC) and Dennis Ashcraft (USA South) run the so-called "DIII Supercamp" at U. of Richmond in late June. A little expensive ($375) but worth it in my opinion because you get three full days of games, a nice A/C room to rest in and do video review, a dorm room, and all the food you can eat at the dining hall. Also, their 3-person philosophy is different but good; it will rub some old-timers the wrong way, but once you try it you'll find yourself seeing plays better than before.

Will they pick up a few guys each year? Sure. But it's primarily a teaching camp and it accomplishes this very, very well. I highly recommend it.

Only potential downside is that it's the same weekend as the VHSL teaching camp, so if you're VHSL and you have long-term HS playoff aspirations, this camp should probably be your priority.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 10:01pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Also, their 3-person philosophy is different but good; it will rub some old-timers the wrong way, but once you try it you'll find yourself seeing plays better than before.
Care to share?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, their 3-person philosophy is different but good; it will rub some old-timers the wrong way, but once you try it you'll find yourself seeing plays better than before.
Can you elaborate a bit on this?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Arem is quicker than I on the draw
Old Tue Mar 24, 2015, 11:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Greg Bennett (ODAC) and Dennis Ashcraft (USA South) run the so-called "DIII Supercamp" at U. of Richmond in late June. A little expensive ($375) but worth it in my opinion because you get three full days of games, a nice A/C room to rest in and do video review, a dorm room, and all the food you can eat at the dining hall. Also, their 3-person philosophy is different but good; it will rub some old-timers the wrong way, but once you try it you'll find yourself seeing plays better than before.
I love Gregg's 3-person philosophies. I used to be against them, but the more I employ them, the better I see plays.

Also, I sent you a private message.